1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Slutty cheeseburger on its own wins the internet in my book, but in blackface, that's some next level shit.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Well, I guess I made the right choice, because I picked up 2 pairs of those Millers, 33 x 34. Now, I know denim even less than I know shoes -- which is not very much. So I'm not sure whether it's raw or what. They are slim fit and they say "we don't wash our jeans, so neither should you" but they do have a "worn in look." OK, now that I've spewed the denim equivalent of bragging about a Dior tie .... Anyway, tried them on and they're WAAAAY too slim and low rise for my fat, old ass. So they're available. Interested parties click "send PM" to the left. And thanks, all, for the help.

But the more important thing is: I've been there, gentlemen. And its real. Heaven, I mean. It happens to be in Northern California. In the space of 30 minutes, I wore RLPL, Kiton, Isaia, Borrelli, and Loro Piana. Now, this is the MOST expensive consignment shop I've ever been. But given that EACH AND EVERY LABEL I turned was a grail find IN PRISTINE CONDITION, with almost NO exceptions. And there was soooooooo much awesome stuff! But when SCs are north of $500 and suits close to $1000 -- shit, even ties were $50 and up -- it just wasn't gonna happen. I just walked around in a daze and tried things on just so I could say I wore them. And it felt goooooood.

Good news is I had a good day otherwise, though I did pay a bit more for some of these items than I'd prefer. See pics below. Here's the tally:
    2 x Brioni suits, pristine condition, 44L, likely dibsed by a friend
    Zegna (older label but cut well and in good condition) houndstooth SC, dual vent, wool, 42R so keeping for now.
    PRL by Corneliani silk/wool/linen houndstooth SC, dual vent and ticket pocket, 42R so keeping for now.
    BB Gray flat front Loro Piana fabric trou, 36 x 32
    The Millers, 33 x 34, two of them
    Shirts: one Thomas Pink in the 15.5 range, one Zegna my size.
    Hermes ties x 2 plus Zegna silk/wool/cashmere tie
    Hand rolled PS x 2
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The passes. Sooooo many passes. Traveling, so space was limited and I hat to be choosy. I passed on TWO 100% cashmere overcoats in roughly my size, one Belvest (I KNOW!!) and one H Freeman & Sons. Passed on TWO separate Belvest orphans and a GUTTING Brioni double breasted (6 over 2) dual vent glenplaid that broke my heart. Also passed on a pair of Chip and Pepper selvedge in the 29 waist range.

Oh, and: [​IMG]
    Versace Jeans Couture, black. My first Versace. Decent find?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Senior member

Hi All,

Was directed to this thread for thrift store finds. Picked these up at the Goodwill in Phoenix. The shoes are a little strange, but I'll be posting them to eBay. I like the trench though, so I'll be keeping it. It has a nice lining with some leather trim and is in immaculate shape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Are you sure you didn't accidentally venture into DM7's new shop? [​IMG]

Now, I ain't saying I'm an expert. But I have handled about 5 pairs of those Versace jeans. The pictured one looks legit to me. Does it have the authentication hologram on the inside?

5. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

So one of the great deals in thrifting always seems to be tweed jackets...

Except that the fabric seems often to be stiff and crinkly. Is that from dry cleaning, cheap tweed or other? I have never owned a tweed jacket for the long haul, so am unsure what to expect.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Looks good from here, but really nothing more than a fittay dollah bill if I had to guess on those.

Also looks real, but nothing really noteworthy.

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I'm stealing that for other uses! You photoshop guys gotz mad skillz!

Reminds me of the upper denture that I found in a corduroy sport coat once. :crazy: I, however, did not canvass the store looking for a guy with half a smile.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You can send them to me and I will gladly ship to Austria. I owe HansderHund a solid.

9. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

Went to the Goodwill yesterday for the first time in AGES. Got there a few minutes after the doors had opened.

There was a man there donned in a suit moving hurriedly through the ties. I my mind, I said "This guy is either an EBAYer or a SFer"; I was swayed more to the latter based on his clothing (which fit rather well, albeit not seamlessly - I guessed he'd found a good RtW suit and didn't think it worth it to alter).
    Anyhow, I moved to the other side of the tie rack, looking at labels as quickly as I could, hoping he'd not yet gotten to my side or that he'd missed something. He left, taking nothing (and I found nothing, save a nameless Made-in-France tie and a mainline Calvin Klein tie with some damage). He moved to the shirts.

I darted for the jackets, hoping he'd not gotten there first (my hopes seemed to have a good foundation, since the Goodwill opened at 9a.m. and I arrived there at 9:08a.m). Found a blue, windowpaned Canali Proposta SC, but it was damaged and two sizes too big for me. Also found a dark-blue PRL SC, but it looked dated and not worth my $11.
    I moved to the shirt rack opposite the one the man was meticulously searching through. I was watching to see if he'd selected anything, but he had not. I moved VERY fast, and made it to the same rack as he, but on the opposite end (which he'd not yet gotten to). I found nothing.
    I knew this guy was aware of me, so I gathered the courage to speak (so he wouldn't think I was checking him out or anything). I asked (feeling a bit foolish), "Probably wishful thinking on my part, but are you from StyleForum?" He asked me to repeat, which I did. He replied, "I don't know what StyleForum is". I said, "Ah. I was hoping I knew you". He chuckled condescendingly.

At the end of the day, I snagged a red Boss Black shirt - its pits caked in deodorant. I took it home and was able to save it. :)

That's my Goodwill adventure.

Still seeking cheap, Band of Outsiders ties (preferably narrow ones).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

If he wins you can take your acting career to a whole new level. Maybe even be a body double / decoy! :evolve:

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Heh...I wonder who handles the casting for THAT gig?

12. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Brianpore jumped at the chance to take them. He said they might not fit, so maybe I'll have him send them this way :D

Thanks a lot for thinking of it though, it's really appreciated!

13. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Some of the best tweed feels like industrial-grade carpet and always will. You either dig it or you don't.

1 person likes this.
  14. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

15. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I think we do as well. In all honesty, if it's something on the fly and without insole measurements, I'll take anything from a US 7.5-8.5. If I'm at a shop and buying them, I'll of course get the exact size. If not, I'll take the gamble and pass them along if they don't work.

Probably not the best system but I don't have any shoes that don't fit. I was most surprised by a pair of Allen Edmonds I picked up in the US. I've never worn a 9, so I thought they were destined to be sold or shipped. I tried them on and they fit really well. I suppose it just pays to try on a number of sizes/widths/lasts to get a good fit!

16. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

17. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Saw this at Choosy Beggar - our new anthem?

18. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Good News for everyone who PM'd me about these shoes, I was able to go back and pick them up so depending on US/UK sizing they have been claimed but the fun part is when I went back I saw a Beck #277 Deluxe Twin Shoe Polisher in Chrome for $12 so I picked it up. Works like a champ and will be a fun thing to have in the closet!

The shoe trip kinda paid for itself with the new toy!

1 person likes this.
  19. eazye

eazye Senior member

[​IMG]

20. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

You may have outwitted yourself here. In my experience, you can never tell what other folks are looking for. This guy might have been one of those who goes every day (which is what I do, and since I'm usually stealing a few minutes during work hours, I'm usually in suit and tie). If that's the case, he could move swiftly because he's already been through 90 percent of the stuff and is merely checking out new arrivals. You, on the other hand, have an entire inventory to examine.

But you just never know. He might easily have been looking for a Halloween costume, it being that time of year. I once encountered my wife's boss at a GW. He dresses well but would NEVER wear anything from a thrift store--turns out he was looking for a tripod for a telescope, which shows how much he knows about thrift stores ("Excuse me, can you please direct me to the tripod aisle?") I can't count the number of times I've found gems in the wake of folks who look like they're buying everything in sight based on labels, i.e,, likely flippers. I also can't count the number of times I've found great stuff by slowing down and doing a thorough twenty, even thirty, minute comb of a store that I usually dash through in five minutes.

One exception here is shoes. Since they're displayed in front of God and everybody, the Aldens, AE's, etc., really stick out, so I can see heading someone off at the proverbial pass/rack when it comes to shoes. But when it comes to shirts and trousers and jackets and suits and ties, I think you're better off playing your own game and moving at your own pace. I'm sure that I've left tons of great polo shirts and trousers because I rarely take the time to comb those racks, given the time it takes to do it right. I also never check the denim stuff because I know nothing about jeans and don't care to learn. So, if I had been that guy you saw, there still would have been plenty of opportunity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.