Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kupus

kupus Member

Lots of interest in that Loro Piana linen SC like I figured there would be. I will go see if it's still there first thing in the morning. Like I said it's been there since last week, but knowing how these things work out, it's probably gone now that I plan on picking it up . :). Will reply to PMs after that if it's still there! Cheers.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Aw, dude...that's a rare find. Don't send a $3 million jacket to some random guy on the internet -- sell it on eBay, then grab a nice suit or ten for your job interviews.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, YOU PEOPLE, WHAT HAS THIS THREAD BECOME!

:facepalm:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

3. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Active Member

That one looks just like one I had custom made by Graham about 10 years ago. Difference being I'm wearing mine.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Y U NO POST EARLIER? :confused:

I have a LP thats a 52 to be frank.. Im hoping it fits.

5. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Hey guys, I found these Cole Haan...o never mind.

Just a quick drive-by to say that all of a sudden the thrift stores are thick with sweet Harris Tweeds since they're out of season but people keep donating them. I have upgraded some of my own and found my first well-preserved keeper with the vintage monochrome label...which will look even more awesome after the dry cleaner's done with it. $2.99, to boot, the dry cleaning will cost 4-5x that.

Keep your eyes peeled, even though you might not be in the mood for it. Also, woolrich & pendleton out the a$$ right now in the racks, at least up here. Too bad I have enough of that stuff (and capn wes sold me a jacket to die for I can wear once New England chills again come octobah)

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Well done on getting your Ph.D. Pain in the ass was it not? Took me 3 1/2 goddamn years of toil to get mine. Hope your post doc is a continuation of what you did in your Ph.D research.

Regarding that Loro Piana:

Wow, take a leak on my back and tell me it is raining liquid ambrosia please! That thing is awesome.

7. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Has it been covered earlier in this thread or elsewhere how to distinguish good Harris (and Donegal) tweed from bad? The fabric is pretty cool, but the only jackets I see made with Harris or Donegal tweeds seem to be crappy and low end.

8. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

I dont think there is "crappy" harris tweed... they tend to treat quality control seriously... there are a lot of variarions in thickness, surface texture (you might think hairy tweed is crappy), weave, pattern etc.

now crappy jackets made from harris tweed might be a different question... but even then, it'll last forever... I guess you'd really need to define crappy...?

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thrift fit, as promised.
    Most brands are not SF approved, so I won't even bother.
    Nothing but skivvies bought retail; shirt = Ebay; links = Cap'n Wes; Square, belt and shoes = thrifted by me; rest = massive employee discounts or awesome sales
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Word.

11. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

anyone have a decent knowledge set as it relates to yohji yammamoto?

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

ivwri in SW&D. Whatcha find?

13. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

pretty sweet belted trench coat.

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Cool. PM user ivwri and he can probably give you some info about it. Yohji is $$$

15. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

That's right, so far as I know. The only "evil" surrounding HT was a cornering of the market, if you will, by some guy who tried buying up all the mills a decade ago or thereabouts. He was kind of the Henry Ford/Hunt Brothers of HT--you could have any color as long as it was one of the 4-6 he chose to weave. That's over now, I think. But, quality wise, I don't think it has ever been anything but top notch. HT may not be for everyone--a lot of folks think it looks like a bad rug--but if you like it, be sure you really like it, because it'll last pretty much forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.