1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 83glt

83glt Senior member

**Advance apology for the shitty pictures...

Were these all from the same donor? What kind of sale was this? That's simply insane. It's such a score that I can't decide whether I should stop thrifting all together, or re-double my efforts!

I did pick up a RLPL tie yesterday for $1.

Wow!

2. sh1zy

sh1zy Well-Known Member

Picked up the following five ties for approximately $10 each. With a Macy's $20 off $50 coupon, the ties ended up being $6 each. From left to right, DKNY, Kenneth Cole NY, DKNY, DKNY, CK. edit: the ties are exactly 3.25" in width--I found 3" too narrow for my body type
    [​IMG]

3. JonHecht

JonHecht Senior member

I found a DK Signature suit once. Made in Italy. Seemed very HQ, much better than the DKNY stuff you see everywhere these days.

I have to say that, design-wise, I think it was the best looking of stuff that I picked up.

4. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

I have to say that, design-wise, I think it was the best looking of stuff that I picked up.

Good for you. The only DK stuff that I've seen from her - that wasn't the DKNY stuff - is all from the late 80's - early 90's. It's well made but she really embraced the ultra-low-button-stance and wide-shouldered look of that era. I always keep my eyes open for a a nice wide-lappelled DB from that time period (I'd love to find a Polo or Abboud DB from back then) but her stuff is just too extreme. Good for you that you found something useable.

5. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Had a decent thift day. I found a recent Oxxford suit and a light weight super 120s Paul Stuart suit. Also found a fuzzy Borsalino fedora. Too small for me though.

FYI, Donna Karan Couture suits are very well made by the same people that make Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Had a decent thift day. I found a recent Oxxford suit and a light weight super 120s Paul Stuart suit. Also found a fuzzy Borsalino fedora. Too small for me though.

FYI, Donna Karan Couture suits are very well made by the same people that make Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece.

Hmm...what size are the Oxxford and Paul Stuart? I may be interested in these.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Were these all from the same donor? What kind of sale was this? That's simply insane. It's such a score that I can't decide whether I should stop thrifting all together, or re-double my efforts!

I did pick up a RLPL tie yesterday for $1.

Wow!

I'm assuming they are from the same donor as they are all the same size basically. A few are a bit longer than others, so I'm selling the shorter ones. It was actually a church garage sale. One of the ladies at the check out line commented "Oh, you're buying these suits! The nice man who donated them said he paid over $3,000 just for this white jacket (the silk blazer)!" This is the score of a lifetime for me,and I never thought I could find so many great suits in one place before. I'd definately keep at it! Thrift luck seems to be going around now, as before I made that post this thread was pretty dead!

8. JonHecht

JonHecht Senior member

Good for you. The only DK stuff that I've seen from her - that wasn't the DKNY stuff - is all from the late 80's - early 90's. It's well made but she really embraced the ultra-low-button-stance and wide-shouldered look of that era. I always keep my eyes open for a a nice wide-lappelled DB from that time period (I'd love to find a Polo or Abboud DB from back then) but her stuff is just too extreme. Good for you that you found something useable.
    Thanks, but it doesn't quite fit me right, so it's going to go on sale. Looks pretty, though. [​IMG] New stuff today, including a (bespoke?) Brioni: Valentino tie: [​IMG] RLPL Shirt (only thing that I plan to keep): [​IMG] A funky/cool Brioni jacket that *must* be bespoke (I didn't know that they did bespoke, but it is unmistakably real yet it has no inside tags and sure as hell looks bespoke rather than MTM). There are a couple moth holes: a small set under one of the pockets and one on the lapel. There are none anywhere else. I looked twice very carefully. They should be easily reparable: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] A DB navy Canali blazer that is so absurdly vintage to the point of delight. I love it, but, alas, cannot pull this type of thing off. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Here it is not just the quality of the photo. The inside tag is just really worn, though it is there and readable. I'm going to put all this stuff up for sale (with the exception of the shirt) along with the stuff from the previous post, once I hit 45 days. I'll be taking measurements in the meantime. If interested, feel free to PM me. Oh, and does anyone have any info on that Brioni? It's crazy. Edit: Forgot to say... Thanks for the info on DK Signature, everyone. [​IMG]

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Hmm...what size are the Oxxford and Paul Stuart? I may be interested in these.

The Oxxford is 43L. The Paul Stuart is my size[​IMG]

10. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Good day today:
    Canali cords (mint), Holland & Holland sweater, Battistoni tie, 2 RLPL ties, T&A shirt, Mark Cross belt, and a rare promo edition of Big Mama Thornton's 'The Way It Is' on vinyl - all for about $50.

11. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

I assume if the Borsalino is too small for you, it is probably too small for me too... Smaller than 7 5/8? [​IMG]

12. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

I finally found a Brooks Brothers suit. It's an odd coincidence too, because just last week I was looking for a seersucker suit. What did I happen upon today? A BB Golden Fleece Seersucker suit in tan, from 2007, made in USA.

Also picked up a BB 346 Linen blazer, a BB non-iron shirt NWT, and a Theory car coat. I know Banana Republic is frowned upon here, but I found a Banana Republic(made in italy) 100% cotton suit. This all set me back about $25.

Best part? It was all in my size.

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Recent Golden Fleece is always an awesome find! Well done!

a rare promo edition of Big Mama Thornton's 'The Way It Is' on vinyl - all for about $50.

[​IMG]

Do you spin vinyl too?

14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Things are looking up a little in the op shop dry spell. This week I've found a Paul & Shark drill shirt in my size, and this pair of vintage green bloodstone cufflinks. [​IMG]

15. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Recent Golden Fleece is always an awesome find! Well done!

[​IMG]

Do you spin vinyl too?

Sure do. A whole lot of my collection has come from thrifting. As with any other thrifting exercise, a lot of crap has to be waded through to find anything. But, unlike recent trends, vinyl will never cost more than $1 a disk at any thrift store, and often you can find them for .25 a disk. Just as I pulled this record from the bin a guy came up behind me and asked to look at the record. He was a record dealer and bummed that I beat him to it.

16. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^ Same here. 80% of of my collection is from thrifting over the past 10-12 years. I have noticed a huge jump in people looking for records, though. I used to be the only one flipping through the crates, but nowadays there seem to be at least 2 or 3 other people digging through them. I also need to visit my local thrift that is best for records once a day to even have a chance at getting decent stuff. It's payed off, though. I have run into expensive vinyl at thrifts, though. The local Sally jacked theirs up to $1.99/LP and $.99 for 45s. I've seen others where they pick all the "valuable" stuff out (usually not valuable at all. Classic rock, Elvis and Beatles mostly) and price them at $4-$10/each. Oh well....

17. 83glt

83glt Senior member

^Damn. That sucks. My favorite is finding double LP's for .25 - I got Van Morrison's live album 'It's too Late to Stop Now', reputed to be one of the best live albums ever, and I agree, for .25

As for today's grabs - no LP's:
    Borrelli shirt, RLPL shirt, Etro shirt, RLPL flannel pants, Zegna flannel pants - all for $17.

18. Grainraiser

Grainraiser Member

Had to take my son to the doctors office to get a physical for his football team. While waiting to be called I remember there was a thrift store around the corner. Walk in and found 6 Zegna dress shirts in my hard to find size. I suspect they all belonged to one donor since I found nothing else. They cost me a whopping $1.99 per shirt. I never would have walked in that place if it was not for this forum.

Grainraiser

19. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Had to take my son to the doctors office to get a physical for his football team. While waiting to be called I remember there was a thrift store around the corner. Walk in and found 6 Zegna dress shirts in my hard to find size. I suspect they all belonged to one donor since I found nothing else. They cost me a whopping $1.99 per shirt. I never would have walked in that place if it was not for this forum.

Grainraiser

I know exactly where you were at because I saw those same shirts and knew someone was going to hit paydirt. Thank God we're no where near the same size.[​IMG]

Check that one weekly - they get really good stuff.

20. Johnny Zircon

Johnny Zircon New Member

I have noticed that 'bunching' thing quite a lot myself - one of my rules of thumb is to have a closer look through the racks if there seems to be more than one related in style and size - quite often there is more, and you can get quite a bonanza.

The other day I was visiting Canberra (usually reside Sydney, Australia) on business. I have been going to the suburban area where our Canberra office every few months for a number of years, and I have slowly been exploring the surrounds during lunch / coffee breaks. Iwas getting the sense that there must be some op shops around, and I finally hit the jack-pot - a large Vinnies and a Salvos in close proximity - and I walked away from the Vinnies with 4 shirts @ $2 a pop - all highly wearable name business shirts - only when I got back to the office did I think that I needed to cram them into my carry-on bag for the flight back - which was a bit of a squeeze, but I did it!

Yesterday was a trip into Newtown in Sydney - a few favourites - a really old fashioned local church shop (nothing this time, but great prices and nice people), a recently opened Buddhist shop 2 doors down (scored a tailor made business shirt $5) and the the Cat Protection Society close by (an irresistible Hugo Boss wool and silk jacket $8 - although I do have a serious issue with space for jackets).

By the way, I do vinyl too - I go with the $1 benchmark and I love picking up old audio-phile albums and mashing them up onto compilation CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.