The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Damn, this is an Epic find!

I hadn't been out thrifting for some time, so I went on a bit of a binge these last three days. It was well worth the wait as I scored some fantastic items:

1. Chester Barrie for Carroll & Co. glen plaid suit - $30 (has the sick Carroll & Co. lining)
    2. Kiton houndstooth sportjacket - $10
    3. St. Andrews per Tincati check/plaid sportjacket - $10
    4. Cantarelli lightweight tweed sportjacket -$10
    5. Orvis/Harris tweed shooting jacket - $20 (with working collar tab/action shoulder pleats/bellow patch pockets/leather patch elbows)
    6. Barbour Tattersall shirt - $7
    7. BBGF dress shirt - $5
    8. NWT Kiton tie - $3
    9. NWT Battistoni tie - $3
    10. 2 x Dormeuil ties - $6
    11. Varvatos loafers - $10
    12. Charvest tie - $4

All this was found at 3 different thrift stores in 3 days. All items are in excellent condition and my size for a grand total of $118. That's significantly less than the Kiton tie alone!

How can one not be addicted to thrifting?

2. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Um, please go and get the Lobbs immediately and offer them here?

+1, Lobb's bring stupid money even used. Like someone else said you could flip those and get enough out of them to get yourself a new pair.

3. J Darnielle

J Darnielle Senior member

Stopped by the DAV yesterday and got...
    Some J&M Ankle Boots that I'll probably decide are too small.
    Two YSL Casual Plaid Shirts
    Dior VNeck Sweater...feels like a cashmere blend but is unmarked
    Vintage Woolrich's Field Jacket

...About $20 total.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

2. Kiton houndstooth sportjacket - $10

8. NWT Kiton tie - $3

15 years thrifting and I have yet to find a Kiton [​IMG]

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

I've found Kiton ties!!! I remember I found one Kiton necktie at a thrift store off Georgia Avenue near Silver Spring... ever been there? Right near a police station. Speaking of Kiton - at Neiman's at Mazza today admiring the $5,000 cashmere Kiton cashmere sportcoats and $7,000+ 14 micron Kiton suits. [​IMG]

6. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I've found Kiton ties!!! I remember I found one Kiton necktie at a thrift store off Georgia Avenue near Silver Spring... ever been there? Right near a police station.

Speaking of Kiton - at Neiman's at Mazza today admiring the $5,000 cashmere Kiton cashmere sportcoats and $7,000+ 14 micron Kiton suits. [​IMG]

Did you fire on one of those suits in an attempt to stimulate the economy?

7. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Did you fire on one of those suits in an attempt to stimulate the economy?
    Unfortunately, we'll have to rely on the new administration for that... left the Kitons (Kitoni?) on the rack... but I did get some really cool Levi jeans that have built-in iPod integration!

8. 83glt

83glt Senior member

I just got lucky .. obviously. The tie was buried at the bottom of a bin near the ties. I just had a look because I saw a couple ties sticking out from hats and scarves. NWT, probably been there for weeks the way it was buried. As for the sportcoat, I nearly crapped myself. The best part is that at this particular thrift store, all men's suits and sportcoats were $10. So the Kiton was originally $15, but I saved 33.3%!!! Also, I almost walked out of there with an Oxxford suit for $10, but I couldn't find the matching pants to the pinstriped jacket, so I happily left with my Kiton, Cantarelli, and St. Andrews for $30 all in not feeling so bad. [​IMG]

9. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

New thrifting rule....
    DO NOT LEAVE LOBBS IN THE THRIFT STORE....

Now some ebay shit head is going to sell them to one of us.

10. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Senior member

I've found Kiton ties!!! I remember I found one Kiton necktie at a thrift store off Georgia Avenue near Silver Spring... ever been there? Right near a police station. Speaking of Kiton - at Neiman's at Mazza today admiring the $5,000 cashmere Kiton cashmere sportcoats and $7,000+ 14 micron Kiton suits. [​IMG]
    One of my regrets in life is that when I lived in DC (which was up until August), I never had a car so I rarely went thrift store shopping. I lived fairly close to the center of town, so I rarely was sad about that, but just knowing that there were all those stores glittering just outside my reach... ha

11. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Senior member

Picked up a kind of plaidish window-pane (not quite sure where the boundary is) Christian Dior sport coat today for $8. The sleeves are a bit too short and I'm deciding what to do about that. I would consider giving the coat to my slightly shorter armed brother, but I don't think he has the fashion confidence to wear this coat.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Picked up 3 pairs of shoe trees today. You can never have too many shoe trees. Also grabbed a wool blend plaid shirt of no particular note.

13. inmytree14

inmytree14 Member

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this in, but does anyone know of good thrifting in Philly? I live in Center City and have yet to stumble upon a halfway decent store [and feel guilty going to NYC just to thrift, since I see friends there so infrequently as is]
    In case any Philly thrifters think I'm going to scoop up their goodies, I'm a 36r suit, 15x33 shirt, and 30x32 pant [so now you can tell me your great spots].

14. dopamine

dopamine Senior member

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this in, but does anyone know of good thrifting in Philly? I live in Center City and have yet to stumble upon a halfway decent store [and feel guilty going to NYC just to thrift, since I see friends there so infrequently as is]
    In case any Philly thrifters think I'm going to scoop up their goodies, I'm a 36r suit, 15x33 shirt, and 30x32 pant [so now you can tell me your great spots].

I'm a college student at Penn and that's around my size [​IMG]. Still, it'd be nice to find a cool place to thrift around here.

15. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.