• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week I saw a bespoke shirt made by Tai Pan? Anyone familair with this? It seemed in really good shape, but since it was a custom it fit a tad bit odd so I passed on it. For $2.00 I probably should have bought it anyway.

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Love to see a picture of the Nutter...the kind of thing I love!

Originally Posted by mack11211
Oddities lately:

A spread collar, button cuff shirt with awning stripes of purple, orange and brown alternating with white, by Jacques Britt. This is a German maker, actually. Other forum member have spoken well of the brand.

A gray flannel SB peak lapel coat by Nutters of Savile Row. Make date is '80, which is after Tommy Nutter left, but the exaggerated style is still there. Has one small defect but the fit is pretty good, so I may keep it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
After a long dry spell, today was a gold mine. Found a gorgeous, fully canvassed glen plaid sportcoat straight from the '60s -- skinny lapels, small pockets, little shoulder padding, just the way I like 'em. Handsome, high-contrast combo of tan ground and dark brown plaid. Pure cashmere. My size, too. They had another glen plaid coat, complete with crazy paisley lining, but it was damaged, so I had to leave it behind. Also passed up an Armani suit in nice condition, as it was a larger size and I didn't feel like the hassle of eBay. And there was a FNB-style coat of many panels, complete with suede or faux suede collar.

After finding so many interesting items on the suit rack, I thought I'd check the shirts, which is unusual, because I only thrift sportcoats and sweaters for myself. Sure enough, there were several high-end shirts, donated by the same guy I'd guess, a couple of which I bought just to harvest their handsome MOP buttons.

My haul came in at less than $15, and I was pretty happy.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
After a long dry spell, today was a gold mine. Found a gorgeous, fully canvassed glen plaid sportcoat straight from the '60s -- skinny lapels, small pockets, little shoulder padding, just the way I like 'em. Handsome, high-contrast combo of tan ground and dark brown plaid. Pure cashmere. My size, too. They had another glen plaid coat, complete with crazy paisley lining, but it was damaged, so I had to leave it behind. Also passed up an Armani suit in nice condition, as it was a larger size and I didn't feel like the hassle of eBay. And there was a FNB-style coat of many panels, complete with suede or faux suede collar.

After finding so many interesting items on the suit rack, I thought I'd check the shirts, which is unusual, because I only thrift sportcoats and sweaters for myself. Sure enough, there were several high-end shirts, donated by the same guy I'd guess, a couple of which I bought just to harvest their handsome MOP buttons.

My haul came in at less than $15, and I was pretty happy.

Doc....What size was the Armani? If it was a 46 go pick it up and I'll send you the funds.

Boss1982

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdarkeye
nice deals, but i dont like every clothing they have has a croc on it.

yah all them clothes definitely have the crocodile, i don't think i ever seen anything different....hmm, maybe some t-shirts that just say the name "Lacoste"
But yah deals were tremendous, i couldn't pass them up.
Barneys outlet and saks off fifth in Leesburg had pretty good deals going on as well, i'm sure some of them still do.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Found a gorgeous, fully canvassed glen plaid sportcoat straight from the '60s -- skinny lapels, small pockets, little shoulder padding, just the way I like 'em. Handsome, high-contrast combo of tan ground and dark brown plaid. Pure cashmere. My size, too.

We need some pics of this suit.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Botany 500/tailored by Daroff was pretty well made and very well styled.

This is the label you will find on the stuff from the 50s and the 60s. It should be canvassed.

It has no relation to the stuff produced by whoever has the Botany 500 license now.

It was a 'real' coat, not junk. I don't recall a Daroff tag, but that doesn't mean it wasn't on there.

What did the overcoat look like, Alan?

It would be right up your alley, Doc, sb, narrow lapels, 60s looking, as I recall. It was sort of a woven heathered black (?), maybe. It's hard to describe.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I've not posted here in a long time. Highlights from my recent trips include;

A very nice slim-fitting Italian-made l/s linen check shirt

An Italian raglan-sleeve SB tweed overcoat

A pair of unlined black calf Trickers derbies with stitching on the toes (but not a full split-toe)

A Burberrys cashmere tweed sportcoat - fits so nicely a 'nothing-but-bespoke' colleague asked me who tailored it for me...

Frustrations include;

Four (4!) pairs of John Lobb shoes that were the wrong size for me

A Camps de Luca bespoke suit, literally the finest handwork I've ever seen. Too short...

A vintage tweed raglan-sleeve overcoat with a zip-in liner made of the same tweed. Far too large...

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Past couple visits have been a little slow, but I did pick up a Zegna shirt and some Florsheim cap-toes yesterday. The Florsheim was more a utility purchase. I have a wedding in Feb and job interviews in the future. They had leather soles and must have only been worn a few times. My big find was the Zegna shirt, though. It's a light blue background with purple and darker blue checks. Beautiful shirt and fits me like a glove. I might go back again this afternoon just to see if anything else was put out.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hadn't been out thrifting for some time, so I went on a bit of a binge these last three days. It was well worth the wait as I scored some fantastic items:

1. Chester Barrie for Carroll & Co. glen plaid suit - $30 (has the sick Carroll & Co. lining)
2. Kiton houndstooth sportjacket - $10
3. St. Andrews per Tincati check/plaid sportjacket - $10
4. Cantarelli lightweight tweed sportjacket -$10
5. Orvis/Harris tweed shooting jacket - $20 (with working collar tab/action shoulder pleats/bellow patch pockets/leather patch elbows)
6. Barbour Tattersall shirt - $7
7. BBGF dress shirt - $5
8. NWT Kiton tie - $3
9. NWT Battistoni tie - $3
10. 2 x Dormeuil ties - $6
11. Varvatos loafers - $10
12. Charvest tie - $4

All this was found at 3 different thrift stores in 3 days. All items are in excellent condition and my size for a grand total of $118. That's significantly less than the Kiton tie alone!

How can one not be addicted to thrifting?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um, please go and get the Lobbs immediately and offer them here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads