• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Quote:
I'm sure great stuff will come your way in the near future.. thanks to this forum i have learned just how good the oxxford brand is and would love yo get my hands on a 42R suit/SC
I come across these almost freakishly often; in fact, I might still have a 42R charcoal gray suit w/ subtle red stripes in my closet. :spam: (Might post just to see if it's SF-approved)
finally sheesh, I didn’t **** anyone, and I got crabs from a pair of used jeans I’d bought at a thrift store. but the story is pretty mindfucking and bizarre
:lol:

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
I come across these almost freakishly often; in fact, I might still have a 42R charcoal gray suit w/ subtle red stripes in my closet.
spam[1].gif

(Might post just to see if it's SF-approved)
lol8[1].gif

I would be interested to see this too :)

GHo

Reaction score

finally sheesh,
I didn’t **** anyone, and I got crabs from a pair of used jeans I’d bought at a thrift store.
but the story is pretty mindfucking and bizarre

haha. me thinks she got crabs from the bull rider. i would've beat her if I were her husband.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
I've been meaning to post this Versace blazer on this forum. I found it about a month ago, and its in great condition. However, its a bit too flashy for my tastes, so I plan to sell it. I would like to figure out the fabric content before selling. Can anyone tell what it is?

Pawz

Reaction score
DELETE

Last edited:

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Come on, really? That's where we're at? Just taking pictures of the tags? For stuff where the brands aren't even worth being excited about?

Pawz

Reaction score
DELETE

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
I've been meaning to post this Versace blazer on this forum. I found it about a month ago, and its in great condition. However, its a bit too flashy for my tastes, so I plan to sell it. I would like to figure out the fabric content before selling. Can anyone tell what it is?

sweet jacket, I would say its some kind of silk blend, but I bet spoo would know.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked the shot of the singer wearing it - it's nice to see if there's another connection or some reference around an item. Nothing quite like the shot of Vox wearing a similar RLPL jacket to one Mainy found, but still... :lol: Also, RLPL is always good to see - if that shirt was 1/2 inch larger in the neck, I would be PMing you right now! I suspect there's several guys on here who are interested in size 17 RLPL though. ;)

Anyway, I picked this up today - the only thing I picked up in two stores, and it's a keeper for myself. I normally wouldn't post a photo of this, but given the recent Brooks Brothers discussion (and those NWT's that I didn't pick up) I wanted to make a point: this is the kind of thing that's very nice, made well (albeit in HK, but it's of Italian wool) and extremely recent - no more than a couple of years old - and yet is often difficult to sell. In this case, I suspect if I posted this particular sweater to Ebay it would actually sell, likely for $15-20 (shipping included) - minus fees, I'd probably get $12-17 for it and spend about $5-6 bucks shipping it, meaning I'd have $6-$12 left over. Keep in mind that's a best case - this item is somewhat more desirable than most, being half zip and lambswool. In cashmere, such a sweater would be a grail for me; in cotton I pass them by regularly (though I happen to be wearing one today myself!)

Bottom line: often such sweaters are priced $6.99-9.99 around here, so normally I would be looking at BARELY eking out a profit, if not taking a loss, on such an item. Thus, if I pick something like that up, it's for one of three reasons: a) I'll wear it myself, b) someone I know will want it (but this is rare for BB) or c) it's an unusual item that might sell well, like a recent mainline Fun Shirt button-down. That's one reason if you're looking for something, speak up - you never know what someone has or might run across!

As far as the cost of this sweater: the original Brooks Brothers retail was approximately $148, with the usual sales available, so if I were to purchase such a sweater new I'd probably pay something just over a hundred bucks for it. My price today on discount day: $1.59 out the door and into my sweater drawer (after cleaning). :happy:

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good point. i just switched summer/winter closets and was kind of astonished at how many sweaters i've picked up. i'm not a regular thrifter, strictly recreational user, but while i don't find that many suits/sportcoats worth picking up, i do seem to find good sweaters fairly often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads