• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDP

Reaction score
I know, I feel the same way. On the other hand, the AS only has two shops, one in Andover, the other in Cambridge, so they are not really well-known outside of MA and the dank underbelly of certain online clothing fora :). Obscurity is also the reason that their stuff doesn't really sell well on ebay, from what I've been told.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

sweet jacket, I would say its some kind of silk blend, but I bet spoo would know.

I've been meaning to post this Versace blazer on this forum.  I found it about a month ago, and its in great condition.  However, its a bit too flashy for my tastes, so I plan to sell it.  I would like to figure out the fabric content before selling.  Can anyone tell what it is?

Actually, there is no way to tell from that label. Thats a really early V2 - like 92 maybe? Probably one of the first collections - but that label is from a factory that I have never seen before. Not saying its fake at all - looks real enough - just never saw that factory tag or content tag. Actually, the content tag looks a lot more modern than the inner label, so not so sure...

floors to go

Reaction score
Found first Kiton tie today, but upon close inspection realized there was a thread pulled. At least you can only notice it up close.

Also found a really nice older BB jacket. Trad all the way. 3/2 button, full canvas, patch pockets, 1/4 lined, heavy wool. Looks to be about a 42. Let me know if anyone is interested too big for me.

Last edited:

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sweet jacket, I would say its some kind of silk blend, but I bet spoo would know.

I've been meaning to post this Versace blazer on this forum.  I found it about a month ago, and its in great condition.  However, its a bit too flashy for my tastes, so I plan to sell it.  I would like to figure out the fabric content before selling.  Can anyone tell what it is?

Actually, there is no way to tell from that label. Thats a really early V2 - like 92 maybe? Probably one of the first collections - but that label is from a factory that I have never seen before. Not saying its fake at all - looks real enough - just never saw that factory tag or content tag. Actually, the content tag looks a lot more modern than the inner label, so not so sure...

I've seen this tag before. These jackets are actually union made in the USA. That's actually a Hickey Freeman tag, if my eyes do not deceive me. I've seen multiple old Versace pieces w/ this tag before.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've seen this tag before. These jackets are actually union made in the USA. That's actually a Hickey Freeman tag, if my eyes do not deceive me. I've seen multiple old Versace pieces w/ this tag before.

Versace has never made anything in the USA.

tonylamer

Reaction score
I went out today looking for some casual fall-themed ties. I found the following. I know that none of these is exceptional, but they were $1/piece, which is decent enough for a vintage English Liberty, a couple of PRLs, and a handwoven craft tie from '70s Montreal. (The three from the left are all wool ties from smaller Canadian manufacturers. The PRL on top is also wool.) And, hey, it's a slow day for this thread. Also, the Marinella:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to go down to Northern Virginia today and after I finished my errand, I googled for a local Goodwill which turned out to be less than 10 minutes away so I stopped in for a little bit of "strange". :lol:

I picked up a pair of Ralph / Ralph Lauren British tan lightweight wool dress slacks in my size. Here's the tag with a fold of the outer front just to see if anyone has seen the label before since I'm not familiar with it. Google just returns sunglasses and some women's clothing.

PA250141.jpg

Also found these Stuart Kent / Made in France heavy wool slacks in light brown...another brand /label with which I'm unfamiliar as is Google. I don't care. They fit and feel very warm with colder weather approaching.

PA250143.jpg

Lastly, I found my first thrift store Brioni article of clothing (other than one tie) today but it wasn't in my size. :fu: I just couldn't leave them, though as I know there are some here who would love to own a pair of Brioni pants in their size. Please let me know if there's any interest. I bought them thinking they were 36's instead of 38's, knowing that would fit a family member but now, I doubt it. They have been dry cleaned, obviously by the tags but they appear to be unworn. No pulls or pills or dirt at the heels.

They appear to be linen in 38 X 32 with 2" turned under at the cuff.

PA250125-1.jpg

PA250126-1.jpg

PA250130-1.jpg

No idea what all this means.
PA250131.jpg

Inside is "pee-free" and pristine!
PA250138.jpg

Inseam:
PA250136.jpg

PA250135.jpg

Excess available cuffage,
PA250134.jpg

A little closure.
PA250127.jpg

PA250128.jpg

PA250129.jpg

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Ralph Lauren is made for macys/other department store I believe. Not as good as Polo, not as bad as Lauren IIRC

datsunfan

Reaction score

Versace has never made anything in the USA.

So is this a licensing deal? I've seen a jacket with this label and tag recently. The jacket also had an ACTWU tag in the pocket. There was a noticeable difference in quality between the made in USA one and a V2 Classic Versace jacket (made in Switzerland) that I also saw recently.

Last edited:

UncleCozy

Reaction score

Ralph Ralph Lauren, Bianco Briono etc

If they fit and look good on you, sweet! They aren't of any greater quality though, nothing you would buy if you've gotten the X-%-off-retail-disease.

Bianco Brioni fall in the same quality bracket as Borelli, Borreli, Burba, Ralph Luren and the likes. It's just a big hoax.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had much time lately to get out there. But I have found a few nice items. Is it me or are things slow on ebay/B&S? I have two RLPL suits, an Etro blazer, Oxxford SC, and a sick vintage loden cloth Abercrombie & Fitch overcoat (made in Germany probably in the 60s) listed. Have a look if you're interested, I'll consider offers.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/271718/...-pinstripe-42r-chester-barrie-savile-row-nice
http://www.styleforum.net/t/271721/nice-etro-blazer-sportcoat-made-in-italy-54-44r
http://www.styleforum.net/t/271716/...l-birdseye-42r-chester-barrie-savile-row-nice
http://www.styleforum.net/t/271011/...row-a-hewitt-bespoke-sportcoat-suit-jacket-42
http://www.styleforum.net/t/271010/...bie-fitch-paddington-loden-cloth-overcoat-42r

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has any ever found interesting things for a dollar or two in NYC? That just doesn't seem possible to me /:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads