• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift fit from earlier. Messy day outside so the jacket was necessary.

Jacket: Theory+ double dry rain jacket(thrift prices)
Shirt: Save Khaki angora sweater(thrift prices)
Jeans: 3Sixteen st100x(from Spoo)
Shoes: Clarks desert boots(from Jebarne)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Passed on a blue-gray Canali pinstripe at VV today because it was an orphan (3 buttons). Size 50. If anybody in the Seattle area is interested, PM me for where to look.
They're not.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tried socks?

Yeah, they wore through sherlock.

Just because Seattle is full of Crunchies who wear hoodies with shorts all winter, doesn't mean NOBODY ever wears suits. I even saw one today. He looked very dapper!

Point missed. No one is interested in the orphan that you didn't pick up. Though I suppose that someone could have the pants, but that's rare and is usually the other way around.

Last edited:

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because Seattle is full of Crunchies who wear hoodies with shorts all winter, doesn't mean NOBODY ever wears suits. I even saw one today. He looked very dapper!

I think he more meant that no one would be interested in a pinstriped Canali orphan in general. Orphans aren't very desirable(on here). I've sold a few on ebay tho but only Brioni or better >_<

Chotii

Reaction score
I think he more meant that no one would be interested in a pinstriped Canali orphan in general. Orphans aren't very desirable(on here). I've sold a few on ebay tho but only Brioni or better >_<
Thank you. I am learning.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I am learning.

Better that you didn't buy it in that case. Free lesson. You're in Seattle, though, you should be killing it like all the other guys up there.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got some tassel loafers marked Bally Switzerland, made in Italy.  For whatever that's worth...
It it were anything other than plain cow leather (nappa, calf, goat etc), companies usually brag that up on their labels.  If it's really soft, supple and buttery, I could see Bally using calf or nappa, but if it's a bit stiff / less pliable and not really smooth to the touch, maybe regular leather. 

Got it. Definitely soft and pliable. Thanks.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good evening wanted to thank everyone for sharing there finds and knowledge. i am new to the whole thing and decided to dive in tonight and hit the local store
d orphan i believe is the term, i searched and searched for the matching pants to no avail. it was green and blue day for 50% off roughly 18$ spent
Heyoooo Welcome. We need a copy pasta for the new comers. But

1. Read through this thread, and our previous thread
2. Don't spend so much. I know what you're thinking " Its only 5-10 dollars, that's nothing to me" - BUT this adds up quickly and you WILL regret it
3. If you're serious about this, try to learn as much as possible, read as much as possible and immerse yourself in clothing ( don't do it to sell until you get to a point where you've mastered it) - Example : Some brands have multiple diffusion lines, learn about construction, what orphans are, what is fake etc
4. Don't ask to many questions that are easily answered by either searching / reading.

That's pretty much the basics of it, I was a noob once (Still learning) and people here really helped me out, figured I'd pay it forward.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just pray that all of your learning mistakes only set you back "5-10 dollars".

Seriously. I probably got set back a few hundred without question.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heyoooo Welcome. We need a copy pasta for the new comers. But

1. Read through this thread, and our previous thread

Even more than reading this thread: I'd say to get "good" at thrifting, it's actually more important to read the rest of the forum, outside of this thread.

If you're not reading closely and broadly, you're probably not developing your tastes as much as you could be, and that's more valuable than any brand list or completed eBay listings or whatever. You can skip the awkward "is this a thing?" stage by figuring out for yourself what's cool. We're so insular here sometimes and I think it can stunt people's development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads