• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetBlatzed

Reaction score

I hate the Baby Boom Generation with a deep abiding passion.

Agreed.

I think you're right. I was pretty sure there was a "sh" sound in it somewhere. HighVoltaire could just be the next evolution of my name. It started on the Ultimate-Guitar forums as HighVoltage when I was 13 and super into AC/DC. Then when I got out of that phase (I kept the red SG at least) I told my friends I needed a new name and one of my friends said "high voltorb" off the cuff without thinking. Voltorb is a pokemon for those unaware. So now I just have to start reading a lot of Voltaire to justify the name change haha. 

Or become a master of this pin

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This looks like someone might want it.

:slayer:

The shoes, the cracks lead me to believe that its not a skin, but if you have better pics I'm happy to take a look.

bpk1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for an LV keepall/weekender (prefer classic brown print, but would consider black or brown damier print pending price/trade of course)... cross posting to thrift buy/sell/trade thread as well. Would prefer to trade for it - please take a look at what I've got listed, plus have lots of backlog.

Need it in the next week or two if possible. Thanks in advance all!

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guy on Craigslist is selling some Aldens for dirt cheap. Shoe experts, @capnwes, are these past the point of no return? I can't really tell if that's cracking or creasing.

Dirt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking for an LV keepall/weekender (prefer classic brown print, but would consider black or brown damier print pending price/trade of course)... cross posting to thrift buy/sell/trade thread as well. Would prefer to trade for it- please take a look at what I've got listed, plus have lots of backlog.

Need it in the next week or two if possible. Thanks in advance all!

Anywhere else in the world/internet except this thread, this would seem like a totally ridiculous request. I love this thread.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i mean.... not really. youre basically paying them to make a tie only youre providing the fabric. Not as simple as say slimming the leg of a trouser. assuming around $7 to ship, $30 to take apart and re-fold sounds (to me) pretty reasonable.

try it yourself! you might find $37 is reasonable after that.

I have. It takes me about an hour, and I suspect I could get it down to less with as much practice as TieCrafters has. That's a pretty decent hourly rate, even for skilled labor.
N.B. this is standard 3 fold lined.
Presumably multi fold, hand rolled would be orders of magnitude more complex, and I suspect they charge way more
Which actually leads me to a rant about Luxire. Sold me a RTW tie. Billed as 59 inches long. Arrived at 63 inches, with fade spots. Asked for a replacement. Telling me I have to pay. SO not happy. I get that customer pays returns is their policy, but I can only live with that if they have decent QC. But they don't -- their QC has been absolutely murdering me for a while.
#rantover

I hate the Baby Boom Generation with a deep abiding passion. This is where your child rearing has taken us.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/01/this-suit-is-actually-a-onesie/

That and they're cheap bastards. Cap is the only one I know (stress on I know) able to squeeze a decent buck out of them for vintage suits. I've had incredible hand made stuff in pristine condition, and the bastards offer me $30 for it. It's like a time warp where they still think it's 1965 dollars.

--
In other news:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222195419562?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Is $600 a lot to pay all at once? Yes.
Is $15 per tie a very fair deal for Brioni, Kiton, Borrelli, Isaia, Marinella and Cappelli ties? You bet your ass it is.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd one in maybe the last 10 days. $7.99:

de la Perriere, 90cm
this is vintage i think from the mid 70s, i assume from the same donor as the last one.

the2ndhandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1940 world War II poster.

In other news:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222195419562?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Is $600 a lot to pay all at once? Yes.
Is $15 per tie a very fair deal for Brioni, Kiton, Borrelli, Isaia, Marinella and Cappelli ties? You bet your ass it is.

Whoever got them is going to be pissed that 10 to 20 are trashed and not wearable and cant return them. I think its going to be one of those SURPRISE boxes.He told me 5 were in near new the rest were very worn and the "rest may be " salvageable. I bowed out early after he responded with that.

bpk1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whoever got them is going to be pissed that 10 to 20 are trashed and not wearable and cant return them. I think its going to be one of those SURPRISE boxes.He told me 5 were in near new the rest were very worn and the "rest may be " salvageable. I bowed out early after he responded with that.

I got a similar response when I asked how many had issues; seller said 10+ would need work from tiecrafters, so I capped out at $450. Hopefully their definition of "10+ best" is the Battistoni, J.Press, and PRL, rather than the Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, and Marinella.. Hope it works out, and maybe they are better than they're inferring.

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a similar response when I asked how many had issues; seller said 10+ would need work from tiecrafters, so I capped out at $450. Hopefully their definition of "10+ best" is the Battistoni, J.Press, and PRL, rather than the Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, and Marinella.. Hope it works out, and maybe they are better than they're inferring.
I find it so interesting how so many of us were watching/bidding on the same lot. Did anyone get example photos from the seller?

No lie, I scroll through your photos at least twice. Well done, good ****. You'd be a great addition to the Official Tie Appreciation Thread I'm about to start this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads