1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Did you wind up selling them? What did you get for them, if I can ask?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

[​IMG]

That is insane. Grats Frenchy. I googled and Mr Scotia Bank made like 10 mil last year so I guess he can afford new suits lol

I know it might be the worst thing you pictured lol but I love the Samuelsohn summertime. Anyhow sweet finds!

3. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

It's a 44 reg otherwise I would offer it to you

1 person likes this.
  4. Rylsa

Rylsa Senior member

Thrifted on an exceedingly rare Chester Barrie for Gieves and Hawkes Tweed Suit. Looks to be brand new - double vents, hand padded lapels; etc. It does weigh heavy though. Thinking of bringing it to the tailors to reduce the padding. What are your thoughts? Handwork is exceptional. Looks so modern for one that seems to date back to 1970s!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

No, I showed all those pieces on here strictly because they weren't given to me, they were just shit he had laying around his fucking Mansion of a closet. So I took pics to show everyone here purely for entertainment and there wouldn't be any sort of subliminal advertising for my listings or anything. That stuff was just perhaps 5% of the baller shit I came across in there except after about 10 minutes of literally going full fucking detective on every item in there, I started to realize what I was actually doing, and then started to read his body language and I immediately realized that I was totally fucking digging through this dudes shit like it was my own and didn't give a fuck, so I stopped cuz hes nice and didn't wanna say anything, but I could tell, like anyone would be, it was starting to make him slightly uncomfortable. So the ltd. Brioni pieces that only he 4 others have, or his entire rack of strictly premium su misura Zegna suits (one which was 100% basic wool, allowing me to finally get the answer to "Why would you buy premium su misura and just get basic wool?" Answer. "Um, I just wanted to."...totally anticlimatic but makes the most sense of anything), the 6 guest room closets he needs to store strictly his Kiton Cashmere Suits (I lost count at 15, but he had roughly a little over 20 of them) and other stuff unfortunately went undocumented for the thread.
    What I really wish I got though was one side of his pull out double sided tie rack, about 100 ties on each side, cuz one side had roughly 50 or so NWT's Hermes ties hahaha. The rest was nearly entirely Tom Ford. I also didn't get a shot of the his Bespoke Suit made by BH's Gary Gargossian using Scabal's Diamond Chip fabric. Which is 90% Super 150s and 10% Silk, however the entire roll of fabric is entirely covered in tiny diamond fragments. It's like 8,000 a square meter (only found english based pricing), and it takes 3.75 square meters for a 2 piece....dude spent 22 grand on the thing, to wear for one event.

Notice though the lack of wear on the shoes and the total lack of wear on those Ricci belts and the Ford. He literally just buys this shit to own it. I would bet $200 that he hasn't even put on that TF moto leather to this day, however he purchased it because it was on sale and ONLY cost 5k, so he had to take advantage hahaha.... He prefers his bespoke primarily and his Zegna premiums and only wears TF shoes and TF ties. However his closet is like the top floor of Barneys smashed into about 350 Sqf, cuz most of the shits never been worn and/or still has it's tags, and the quantity of stuff is absurd. His closet is easily worth more than his home. It's also worth more than his watch and wifes jewerly collection as well as his pen collection. I know those last three tid bits cuz he traded me a brand new pair of brogued Battistoni shoes which are gorgeous, and a pair of Silvano Sassetis, both NIB, in exchange, I took my new Camera at the time, over there and took pictures of all his shit for insurance purposes. He just collects wealth in every possible way he can cuz he just reaps money hand over fist and literally doesn't have to fucking get dressed (used to own and operate 40+ retirement homes, however eventually realized that if he sold ownership rights but kept the land, he'd lose all the pain of running the things and all that overhead, and strictly make profit by charging rent on his land, so he makes like 10x more now for doing 100% less and spending $0 dollars and taking a office floor of a company and employees, and turning it into nothing, thus zero employees = zero people to pay...vocationally, I'm sure he's got lawyers watching lawyers watchin accountants and shit. So literally all he does is fucking buy shit.
    This stuff I have all the photos of, but I gave him my word I wouldn't share them with anyone so unfortunately I will not post them here, but I have no reason to lie nor exaggerate, and also, if you don't believe me then don't, don't care.

First he made sure I knew that nothing I see that looks silver is, because he hates silver, its always White Gold or Platinum. He then brought out about 75 cuff links and every one was entirely diamond flooded, each more than the next, topping off with his faberge eggs that were about an inch and a half by .75 of an inch wide, covered in half carat diamonds as well as half carrot yellow canarys too. Then his watches, which were insane but surprisingly modest in design. Mostly platinum but nothing that resembled Birdman or Mannie Fresh circa 1998-2000 wrist's (or any No limit album cover ever). At this point I was well over a million worth of shit he fucking never even puts on ever (most watches boxes were just opened for the second time, first at the store, nearly every Patek was still wrapped in the plastic protective wrap and shit, it was nuts. Then his wife's shit, another 750k (I've never seen anything like it). Finally his fucking PEN collection. 900k........ I mean when your reaching that hard to find shit to spend money on that you have a pen collection thats 90% of the way to being worth a million fucking dollars, I mean I guess you win life at that point I dunno. No whips surprisingly though. Just a S550. But he's orthodox so he's only driving 5 days a week tops and doesn't really need to since Neiman Marcus delivers all his clothes by truck. So I guess its used solely for errands and buying pens, diamond cufflinks, and Frank Muellers or Pateks or Hublots....I wanna grow up and be him.

IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO THE TRUE MORAL OF TELLING YOU ALL OF THIS, THAT IS ONE MESSAGE, my mother has a few clients at the moment, 2 of which got into the retirement home business. The other dude is some Russian and on the same level but I don't know dude...anyways Lesson: GET INTO THE RETIREMENT HOME BUSINESS ASAP. 90% OF OUR POPULATION WILL NEED ONE, IT'S RECESSION PROOF AND INSANELY PROFITABLE. NOTHING MAKES MORE MONEY THAN TAKING ADVANTAGE OF OLD PEOPLE AND THEIR LIFE SAVINGS....AND THEIR FAMILIES WHEN THAT RUNS OUT... (I'm kidding that's fucked, but sorta serious too) You're welcome.

6. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

The best handwork I have ever seen on a suit was a Chester Barrie for Carrol and Co suit that was made in roughly the mid 80s or so. Barrie premium tailoring is nearly on point with bespoke quality work, it's unreal and a reason why they're my favorite....and Zegna but for different reasons.

Also it's gotta be from sometime in early 1976 exactly. Late 1976 G&H auctioned off their entire company to the highest bidder, that being Hickey fucking Freeman, and remain so. I thought it was the first thing they did after the merger, was to create RTW and ruin the Row, guess they started with Barrie as a trial run...that or it's from sometime more recent and there may have been a contract fall through to renew Licensing so they may have outsourced to CB while handling that shit.

7. Rylsa

Rylsa Senior member

Added pictures!

8. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

9. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

10. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

but the other shit I did well on. My top sale I think was 1250 for worn Prada Crocs I think....a g or so for a ford three piece (notched) and close to that with the rest ummmmm....the NIB Gucci crocs only went for 900 but I predicted that cuz even though they're exotic and Gucci and new, doesn't take away from the fact that they were totally fucking ugly. Still have the brand new Lobb Prestiges though and others, the suits are about 3/4 gone through.

11. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Dude, the new Samuelsohn white label shit, especially with LP fabric, is nothing to scoff at. I had never seen it in my life prior to a visit to a local marshals about 10 months or so ago. I left there that day with 3 Samuelsohn LP blazers.

And to add: All white label pieces are fully canvassed as well.

1 person likes this.
  12. Heider

Heider Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Take a full pic of the inside pocket with the Barrie tag, I wanna see if I can date the thing or not....Please... curious if this was pre sellout or a break in the sellout cuz I've never seen this before and I love CB.

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Thought the smart people in this thread would be the place to get my answer:

What is the most effective way of killing possible mildew/mold from a light down vest? It has a slight musty smell and I'm worried that it could be mold. I washed it in hot water and dried it under the sun for a couple of hours. I'm in NYC so the weather is unfortunately too cold to effectively dry outdoors.

Will dry cleaning kill the mold/mildew? Is sunlight the answer? If the latter, how long?

It's a dark colored vest so I can't bleach it.

Any help would be great!

15. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

I wear one piece Overalls . Prefer short sleeve.
    With a T-shirt and Air Max 95's. And a leather or duck canvas/denim/starter jacket with a 90's "starter, or sports specialties". Cap.

Do let me know when the Vicuna lined, okayama denim one pieces drop. :)

1 person likes this.
  16. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Senior member

Last night ... Picked up a couple of bags of stuff ... Most some good fodder (BB, J Crew, Hickey, Womens, etc) but here are some highlights/interesting items:

I was just leaving the final rack,when I looked up and saw this ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I usually warm up at the belts and ties in this store; i've found a couple in the past and it gets me going. this one caught my eye
    [​IMG]

Especially when I saw the script logo ...

[​IMG]

I also hit the new boutique cart that they rolled out ... a couple of womenz things, and this nice looking suit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This sweater that seemed to have an old paper tag on it ... didn't know if it was anything worthwhile, but grabbed it for now. Cotton.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some wool tuxedo pants, look to be Italian higher quality ...

[​IMG]
    I don't know who they're made by; anyone??
    [​IMG]

a Gang hoodie from the New England 'Hi Lifes'

[​IMG]
    And old Adidas track pants, that will be returned now that I saw the damage on the knee ...

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  17. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

This is fake right .vinyl sleeves and RN numbers aren't upside down.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Rylsa

Rylsa Senior member

Here you go, sorry if bad quality pictures, uploading from my phone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

"Medium" font looks super janky but I have no expertise in the matter.

20. Bahljs

Bahljs Senior member

My only expertise with Supreme I see in the thrifts is, fake.

The market is so niche that I just don't see anyone willingly donating Supreme items.

I tried to get a few things from their first fall drop 2016 and things sold out instantly, it's insane.