• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The scene with him "flying" down the bowling alley, or the artist chick flying and painting? Either way - yes - you're the only one who hasn't watched the whole thing. I haven't seen all their flicks, but the ones I've seen - all instant classics. Raising Arizona, Barton Fink, Hudsucker, Fargo, Lebowski, Oh Brother, No Country for Old Men, True Grit, ... all great films. No Country is my personal fave - fricking brutal.
blood simple is pretty ******* great. i rewatched it a few years ago and it's well worth the time.

Mr G from SD

Reaction score
Have you guys seen St. John made in China? Bought this today. It's quite nice, thinking real, but doesn't hurt to consult others. Everything else I have seen was made in USA.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you guys seen St. John made in China? Bought this today. It's quite nice, thinking real, but doesn't hurt to consult others. Everything else I have seen was made in USA.

Some is made in China, yes. What is it?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That looks like a newer label, where they've probably since outsourced production.

Mr G from SD

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Nice to find some St. John for cheap. Seen it before around here but always marked up too high.

colorvision

Reaction score
Miele combiset electric BBQ. Older one, I've never seen the glass top, they've been all stainless for about 10 years, but miele is built to last and last.
Nice. You picked up a Miele vacuum a while back, no? Did you keep it? I paid retail for mine with no regrets.
Makes no difference really, but that model is called the Court Force. Classic B-Ball kicks regardless, same era as Dunks.
AAA!! I actually had this one right over the weekend and remembered it wrong, thanks G!

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. You picked up a Miele vacuum a while back, no? Did you keep it? I paid retail for mine with no regrets.
Yep, kept, Miele is so sweet.

Visited Houston today looking at real estate. They have a new "strip mall" with every single name you would love to pop - http://www.riveroaksdistrict.com/shops My head about exploded driving through it. I'm going to enjoy having a Houston location.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, this dropped into my lap today (along with a handful of nicely patterned BB ties that I'll be keeping for me:

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Another one of the vintage shirts I found the other day...

LOL, can you imagine a major company creating something like this today? They'd get killed.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some is made in China, yes. What is it?
I think it is all made in China now. I've seen a bunch of St Johns Couture pieces walking through the racks that are recent and made in China, and that's supposed to be the premium line.

Edit: I will also add I don't know **** about St. Johns so do not take my words as truth on this, just know what I've seen.

Last edited:

jamesmkeart

Reaction score
So day one of my thrift road trip with @GetBlatzed was today
This is the Tommy stuff I like

More made in the USA vintage Tommy t-shirts

Made in U.S. O.p. Pool and embroidered polo rugby shirt

4XL! Paul & shark hoodie and orvis wool 1/4 zip

Paul stuart French cuff and skeet

Gap selvedge denim x2

Polo, Zegna, Pendleton, bb makers

And finally waffle house

Left Milwaukee at 10 and got to Louisville at midnight. Long day.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Too small?

I'm still learning the art of classic menswear, but if you're a size 38 chest, you wear a 38, no? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure I follow it being a fashion forward choice.

You have to wear clothes that fit the biggest part of your body. If you are a size 38 chest, but you have broad shoulders, you either have to find a 38 jacket with a cut that works for your shoulders, or size up. I have this problem. My actual chest measurement is a hair under 40, but I have to wear 42 in most jackets. I wish I learned this lesson earlier, because I had a closet full of clothes that didn't fit until I realized I had to size up in almost everything because of broad shoulders and big thighs. Had to "admit" to myself that I'm not a medium even if that's what the numbers say.

Last edited:

GetBlatzed

Reaction score
Day 1 of thrift trip with @jamesmkeart hit 7 stores in Illinois and Indiana. Highlights are:
Old PRL Union made in USA $6

Newer Tommy Hilfiger rugby $5, and older Tommy jeans fleece crewneck $5

Zegna 4XB $4, SKEET $4

Armani collezioni x2 $4 each

Wallace and Barnes heavy flannel $4, Billy Reid light flannel $4

Roper made in USA banded collar Aztec western $4, Visconti Uomo $4

Etro x9 (all at one stop!) $5 each :)

And a big NFS on this bad boy.

Not pictured are 6 or 7 jackets/fleeces (north face, spyder, Columbia, diadora) and 10 t-shirts.

PS

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did someone say St. John?

All from one store. Props to @vexco for informing me that the tweed should have a skirt. I was sitting in Portillo's at 8:45 about to unwrap my Italian beef and Chicago dog. I grabbed my food, got in the car, and walked in the store 3 minutes before closing. I was met with nasty looks from the employees, but the skirt was on the rack. Then today I realized the couture piece looked like it should have a skirt, too, so I made an unscheduled trip back to get it. Used to opportunity to hit two other stores, but they were dry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads