1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

Speaking of women's scarves. I see them all the time. Every thrift and LOTS of them at estate sales. I always look foolishly thinking that I will find Hermes. I never do. But, like a crack addict, I go back each time. The only scarves I find are

ECHO
    Mary Kay
    Anne Klein
    Avon
    and very rarely I'll find Ralph Lauren.

Most of the time they are either no name or polyester. Which womens' scarves are worth thrifting other than Hermes and the obvious other ones like Gucci, Dior, YSL (the good kind), Cuccinelli, etc. I mean if I see any of the big names, I know to buy it. But, am I missing out on women's scarves in terms of lesser known brands that I might actually find?

2. double00

double00 Senior member

Some scarves are unsigned and the attached label removed, I look for a fine print on good silk, good colors and lots of em. Then I hand it to wifey. I also offer her the scarves I find (ba-dum-bum!)

2 people like this.
  3. yanger87

yanger87 Senior member

Ha, my experience has been the exact opposite. I haven't been to a ton of estate sales, but the one time I did find a scarf at one, it was a Hermes that the old lady running the sale gave me for $5 due to a large stain that was immediately removed by my dry cleaner. Just goes to show how much luck plays in the hunt.

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

HOLY MOTHER OF DUCK

You?
    He lives and thrifts less than 20 miles from me, and 5 miles from where I work. And we're the same size.
    How do you think my insides feel right now?
    (Of course, I did score a Borrelli overcoat from the Bay with some ebay bucks last year, so....)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    2 people like this.
  5. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

I've never seen purple label in a thrift. My RLPL garments come from eBay.

I do share your pain, I'd cry if I saw a line of shreded purp.

1 person likes this.
  6. jumpman1231

jumpman1231 Senior member

Yeah that makes sense for group thrifting. I just wondered because I thrift with my brother a lot but we wear different sizes and we both just consign with snoogz so we share all the costs and commissions 50/50 and it makes the whole experience way fun... However if he were my size or we didn't share the consigning part I don't think I could say yeah take the suits I'll look through these shirts and then see him pull a nice suit that would have fit me... Even like seeing your lists and you go 9 etro shirts to 0 just bc it was your turn for shirts at that store? Impressive to be good with your set up however it works.... awesome you have it worked out to go together bc it's a blast thrifting with my bro!

1 person likes this.
  7. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

Who was it that found the Haliburton cases? They just released some "limited edition vintage edition" ones for $1200

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Just out of curiosity, what's with the RLPL obsession? How did that get picked over other labels?

1 person likes this.
  9. COtoKS

COtoKS Senior member

Some wear, but still NICE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  10. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

Not really an obsession, I just rather like the clothing. :) more so that other high end labels.

11. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

That was me. I found quite a few of them. In fact, I have two LARGE Haliburtons that are the gold color that sells the highest. I really need to list the damn things.

If anyone finds one of the Halliburton Zero Briefcases (not the small suitcase), please let me know! I want one!

By the way, that thing is great!

12. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

If the intentions for the clothing is the same for both parties involved, or you thrift the same stuff, or both earn a sizable or more living from thrifting, it can be tricky. I didn't know how I was gonna handle it with the 2.5 days I did out here when @Cj52racers was here, cuz we're both about the ROI and those margins, but I found the easiest fix to the solution and that's just if someone has an excellent stop, you let the other one take the reigns until they catch up. Like roughly 4 stops into our first day I pulled 2 3 piece TF suits, a silk TF blazer, 2 TF slacks, Brioni Wool/silk blend suit, and a Helmut Lang Italy overcoat pure cashmere that was actually found by Chris but it would take up too much room in his bag, so he passed it. So with that score I was needless to say, feeling fairly content, so I then just fell back and played the wall and just sorta thrifted his wake or sections I don't really hit that hard, the rest of the time, and suddenly he's literally pulling gucci suits off racks before I have 2 feet in the shop, and I think we got his expenses covered in full by about mid day, the first day, on the route I planned. Someone does good, let the other guy try and catch you, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do that shit, no way.

2 people like this.
  13. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Older YSL's don't move for shit, just Rive Gauche line does, I wouldn't bother if it's labeled anything else, unless obviously if it's SLP (except I believe they still use YSL initials for their accerssories currently, at least for bags they do so I dunno),. Also Pucci I hope has been on your radar, Ferragamo, Chanel, etc... when you cross paths with a truly nice piece of silk you'll know it. And if it's a sought after Parisian or Italian design house, you get it too. I've found nice ones from sorta-slightly lesser known labels like Balenciaga, Bally, Iceberg, Gianfranco Ferre, etc.. quality print or quality name you'll know it, just hope it's on the same piece of high quality silk.

Edit: Also look out for equestrian themed ones, if you spot some equestrian themed silk, whether it's a tie or a 40x40 piece of fabric, it's probably worth something, Equestrian themed ones do well, of course they do much better when this theme is printed on high quality silk, and a designer name helps a ton also.

Edit #2: Have an RN lookup website saved in your phones web browser, because sometimes the tags are removed but the small 100% Silk , Made in ___ and an RN # tag are still attached. I think it was my huge burberry one was proven to be so using this method. I could tell it was obviously Burberry but they don't label their scarfs on the silk itself, so other measures were taken to verify.

14. Pierson v Post

Pierson v Post Senior member

I found this jacket with Loro Piana wool, but I can't find info about "Bianchi Moda". Is it worth picking up or is the Loro Piana name not worth it here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I picked up a plain black Zero in Dec - it's labeled as a camera case tho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Went back for the HF but it was gone. Oh well. Not a complete waste. I did find a beyond gorgeous Tom James tie

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Had a pretty good day and one flat out boss find.

[​IMG]
    Alden.
    [​IMG]
    Varvatos mainline vest (wool/cashmere/camel). T Baker linen. RLPL. Eton linen.
    [​IMG]
    Lewis Creek English made waxed cotton.
    [​IMG]
    Womens Burberrys trench. Made in England. Liners, thought latch, all the good shit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Really dope Brooks Brothers Outerwear Mac Cruiser style coat.
    [​IMG]
    Outdoorsman starter pack. Beretta. Filson. Woolrich.
    And this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Roughly 70x50 or so of pure cashmere blanketry

22 people like this.
  18. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

^^^^^ SHOUT OUT to this guy for a sweet proxy deal AND including two ties. MAN OH MAN.

And @Cj52racers , if those Aldens are an 8.5ish ....

2 people like this.
  19. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Woa, that's like bromance type of mileage.
    Bro, that's RLPL, right? Also brodeetz on them kittens!

Pass and never ever look at it again.

1 person likes this.
  20. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

11.5 I believe :(