• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It wouldn't be thrifting if I am paying $60 a day for a rental car. I got down to those 3 cities because they were all in  a top 10 walkable city list XD

@TheNeedMachine
: Yes, I know. But it's good to dream. I think I've come across Kiton twice in my thrifting life, Loro Piana once, and have yet to pop my Attolini cherry. And this is after thrifting in NYC. So realistically, I would be fine with a haul of Canali or Zegna suits.

Go on Expedia they have rental cars for $15 a day. In a big city as spread out as Chicago you can't get to very thrifts in the burbs or cover much territory with public transportation.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It wouldn't be thrifting if I am paying $60 a day for a rental car. I got down to those 3 cities because they were all in  a top 10 walkable city list XD

@TheNeedMachine
: Yes, I know. But it's good to dream. I think I've come across Kiton twice in my thrifting life, Loro Piana once, and have yet to pop my Attolini cherry. And this is after thrifting in NYC. So realistically, I would be fine with a haul of Canali or Zegna suits.

1, Chicago thrift stores are way too spread apart to take public transportation, walking is out of the question, see no.2
2. Driving here can be a clusterfuck, hence why SWB and I ride bikes primarily.
3. It's the murder capitol of the country. Hold onto your giant duffle bag of thrifted grails tightly. See no.4
4. Anytime you go somewhere expecting grails, you will be very disappointed. Rule # 167 of the thrifters guide.
5.I've only come across Kiton 3 times in my thrifting life, and I live here.

edit: NP beat me to it.

Last edited:

futuremyth

Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks Hans and thanks everyone who pledged so far. Owing to your generosity I've already managed to double my target! If you're interested in contributing follow the link Hans posted above. This thing kicks off in less than an hour. A few people asked if I'd be streaming my gameplay, so I took a little time and sorted out a Twitch account. If you're interested in that sort of thing you can check it out at http://www.twitch.tv/futuremyth

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanna give a shoutout to Sharpiehs since he mostly just views here,all around great guy to deal with.
Dont hesitate to deal with him,very good taste and new owner of some Vuitton,Brioni and Sutor Mantelassi.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Cj52racersDon't buy car rental insurance broski.

Disagree. Been sideswiped parking street side twice with a rental. Didn't have to do anything. For 9 bucks a day, id rather just do it.

There's no car in the world faster than an insured rental.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

long past due but shout-out to @SpooPoker for an amazing trade! a pair of C&Js that fit oh so perfectly and a pair of shell BB penny loafers by alden. a smidge too big unfortunately, so they're going up on the bay unless someone here is interested (9.5D).
I don't know if this is bad form to ask, but what the heck did you trade to get C&J AND BB Shell loafers in return. Hey @SpooPoker we need to trade more if this is your trade bait! Got anymore BB shell and C&J to trade? Ha! If my Secret Thriftmas Santa will look at Spoo's eBay listings, he has a pair of Bostonian Shell shoes in 11.5C. I love shell cordovan and 11.5C happens to be my exact hard to find size.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear Secret Santa,

If it's not obvious enough from my 6000+ posts, I do not wear classic menswear. I work from home, so my workwear consists of whatever form of loungewear is appropriate given the season... It's currently 27 degrees outside.

I find so many clothing items on my own, that I'm just going to say it. Don't bother with clothing unless you have come across some really cool piece of vintage outdoors gear like Trailwise, Class-5, Holubar, Camp 7, etc. in a size large. The only regular clothing item I might be interested in is a pair of classic boots of some sort in a 9.5. I tend to prefer lugged soles/hikers in a traditional style leather.

The things I really like are hiking, mountain biking and rock climbing, as well as endurance sports (running, cycling, swimming). I also love craft beer, scotch whisky, good coffee (I have not had Starbucks since I moved and do not intend to go there), and going to movies (we have AMC and Century Theaters nearby).

But yeah, like @SpooPoker said, I'll be happy if some thought is put into it.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw my first Enzo. Sorry Spoo, no pic opportunity. It sounded lovely, though. Gun metal gray to boot.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
magnum shirt in my size

Old school BB knit tie. Would this be considered garza grossa? It's nice whatever it is.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think anybody can beat what I got last year. Tailoring books from the 1880's are going to be a tough act to follow.
1f60d.png

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Left a couple items on the racks yesterday because I didn't have phone to check them out and they were priced kind of high: what looked to be early 90s Nike tennis shirt and older Lee chore coat with Storm Rider type lining. Word to the wise: take a newspaper into the bathroom at work instead of your phone. #dontaskmehowiknow

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Left a couple items on the racks yesterday because I didn't have phone to check them out and they were priced kind of high: what looked to be early 90s Nike tennis shirt and older Lee chore coat with Storm Rider type lining. Word to the wise: take a newspaper into the bathroom at work instead of your phone. #dontaskmehowiknow

I need to know

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing he dropped his phone in the *******. I never remove my phone from my pocket anywhere near open water or large amounts of liquids for that reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads