• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob15

Reaction score
A bit off-topic...

Copped some 4/5 oz Veg-Tan Cowhide at the leather shop today. Already got the pieces for a new CC holster cut out, shaped, dyed and ready to stitch together tomorrow. Does anyone else here do Leatherworking? And would anyone be interested in seeing some of my projects? Got a new wallet prototype coming off the drawing board and into the flesh next week, as well as new watch bands soon.

Tons of other stuff I should be doing, but I enjoy working on leather things late at night with some Sierra Nevada Pale Ales.
snork[1].gif

A bit late to this, but if you're doing holster work, I'd love to see it. I'm an absolute holster whore.

Chotii

Reaction score
A bit late to this, but if you're doing holster work, I'd love to see it. I'm an absolute holster whore.
I'd like to see it too. My next-door neighbor makes them from heavy leather (against the body) and custom-molded kydex via a vacuum table. Or, he has the setup, and doesn't actually do it. I'm not sure. He promised me one for my CCW, but it never happened, and then WA passed that idiotic law that means I can't even put my handgun into his possession long enough to make me a holster without technically committing a felony. :p

classicthrifter

Reaction score
@Nataku dang! Love that last haul. Wow.

@Jompso - take care of yourself!

Thanks to @richnet12 and @turkey_sandwich for getting the KnowledgeBox (TM) my way. Cool stuff. I'm ready to pass it on, anyone in MN want it first for local pickup? I sold half of it and lost some of the rest. I hope that is okay.
wink.gif

Been pretty dry in my area, re-did the eBay room so there is that. I also picked up a Golden Fleece N3B jacket similar to this, but with some condition issues (cigarette burn on bottom front, and small tear in inner lining
ffffuuuu.gif
) if someone local is interested or someone wants to pay shipping for it. Sz 50, Scovil zip. Too tired for pics right now...

Also picked up a suit for my Halloween costume tonight. Got it home and realized it was a NWOT Stafford that fit me perfectly. I almost feel bad about destroying it for a costume. Almost.

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been in southern California past week+
Finally hit up a few areas over the past few days. This is what 3 hours spent in orange county and 8 hours spent in the valley is like. 75% of what I picked up
I was going to hit up @Jompso but didn't end up making it to my old stomping grounds at UCLA

Unfortunately picked up a Helmet Lang suit only to realize there were holes near the shoulder/arm that I missed =/.
It looks like I have a date with a BMW, an hour and half drive, my thrift buddy app, a free Saturday, and Orange ******* County...it's an orgy..

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real, about 1991, just north of worthless lol. (I would have kopped and been happy to do so)
2008 Spring Summer
"GUCCI SILK/COTTON BLEND SUIT SZ 44 GOLD GUCCI BTNS 4 years after TOM FORD ERA!!"

That should do the trick...

and thank you much sir, as always, greatly appreciated.

Chotii

Reaction score
Part of today's finds:

Black wool Faconnable jacket, Storm System with Loro Piana fabric. XL, available.

Napapijri Geographic charcoal gray wool jacket. Size L. Available.

Prada dark green nylon jacket with fold-away hood. Medium. Doesn't fit my husband. :( Available.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick brag just to hammer home how ******* key knowledge in this game is and why you never ever stop learning... I walked into a mom and pop for 7 total minutes, the item above, posted a couple days ago was 10 bucks with tax, i nearly ****...oh and I also walked out with a full on Willis Geiger Cotton Poplin (their famous ****) most hard core rugged Safari jacket or article in general I have ever seen of theirs, this was 15 (seen less hardcore ones go for hundreds)....3 other flippers in about 400 square feet of menswear and they all went right past both...learn yaselfs, always...can't stop wont stop...oh and the offer was settled at 350... I know this isn't the craziest ebay sale by a long shot and I'm not puttin this up here to make it seem like that, but this thread is such a valubale tool, as the people that frequent it, that it's just literally life changing, with ebay fees and COGs and thats 315 for 5 minutes time, net, and then I still have the Geiger to post that accounted for the other 2 minutes.... I can't estimate a total but this is a great thing to be a part of that's for goddamn sure. Thank you all that take the time to share and contribute. That's all I got.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like I have a date with a BMW, an hour and half drive, my thrift buddy app, a free Saturday, and Orange ******* County...it's an orgy..
Lived in Orange County for years. Never saw Kiton, Oxxford, or Brioni in my life. Could be my bad luck or that I used to thrift maybe once a week, but still.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lived in Orange County for years. Never saw Kiton, Oxxford, or Brioni in my life. Could be my bad luck or that I used to thrift maybe once a week, but still.
oh? seems like there are hardly any oc thrifters on this thread... probably lurkers...

i lived in HB for about 5 years. didn't thrift back then tho...

Last edited:

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright so I should probably post this elsewhere... maybe start a DIY leatherworking thread, but for now I'm just going to spoiler it.

These are very basic and inexpensive tools / materials. A 2mm Pricking Iron, Diamond Awl, Exacto Knife, Bone Folder, Linen Thread, Harness Needles, Beeswax (for waxing the thread) and a good metal ruler. Also the self-healing cutting mat underneath it all.

I made this circular "tool caddy" a while ago, just so that things are within easy reach and aren't scattered across the table.

The hide. This was just a "smaller" piece of 4/5oz Veg-Tan cowhide. It's maybe 5 sq. ft. Cost was about $30-40.

The hide has a nice raw, fleshy pink color.

Here's the piece I cut out from the hide. The slashes on the right are flaws in the hide.

Here are the 2 basic pieces that I cut out and dyed. I used Eco-Flo water based dye, and then treated the pieces with Fiebing's Tan-Kote for a nice luster after the dye was dried.

The larger piece I had started to fold and shape around the pistol. The smaller piece has a metal belt-clip installed, and the holes were marked for stitching.

The finished holster.

Stitching detail, and leather grain.

With the pistol inserted. This is a Bersa Thunder .380ACP.

Overall I'm happy with it, for only being made in a few hours. The only thing I would change is that I would use Black Thread, or dye the White Linen thread before waxing it. But it's very functional as-is, and pretty nice for only being the 2nd holster I've ever made.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh? seems like there are hardly any oc thrifters on this thread... probably lurkers...

Lurkers that are probably getting up at 5 and tryin to get at my **** haha.... Honestly I don't see the OC being a hotbed in general so I'm very suprised with those finds. I mean keep going south and your making your way towards some real ******* money, But Orange County is just like a giant mall/theme park surrounded largely by middle class America, at least that has been my impression upon brief stints there. Nothing against the middle class or anything like that, it's just that they rarely possess the expendable income to afford things we tend to like to post on this thread and/or wear and/or sell....I mean there are very wealthy areas but its a big ******* place, but I also think the culture, fashion wise, is far far more casual than you would find in a more metropolitan area or something like that. Essentially, I'm sure the stuff is there, I just don't see it being as readily available on a consistent basis....again though, never thrifted it, but it's only a buck and some change away so maybe ill test the waters one Saturday and see what they have to offer...lurkers you've been warned, there will be a Saturday, you wont know which so don't bother hitting hard Friday, its gonna come though, and i will be there, and your racks will be my racks....and then I may even hit up Disney Adventureland solo, because 28 year old men going to children themed Disney theme parks isn't creepy. Warned.

rayxlui

Reaction score

Did Anaheim and Long Beach for half a year. Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics