• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boxdok

Reaction score
I don't even pay attention to RRL prices that much anymore. 99 percent of the stuff sits and can be had for atleast 60 percent off.

ispace

Reaction score
Has anyone got the Bennett Striped Chambray Shirt? Is it selvedge? The lookbook described it as such but no mention on the website.

Bethany Heck

Reaction score
Has anyone got the Bennett Striped Chambray Shirt? Is it selvedge? The lookbook described it as such but no mention on the website.
I have it and like it a lot, but I'm not sure how to tell if it's selvedge. It's lightweight and has a bit of stretch.

aquila49

Reaction score
My mom sent me this picture of my grandfather a while back. I posted it to my Instagram, but thought I'd share it here also since it seems vaguely Americana/workwear inspired before workwear was a thing.. Love those pants he's wearing..

No, shortly after he returned home from WWII, so late 1940s..

Your Dad's picture inspired me to dig up some photos of my Dad. He was definitely into the military look.

The jaunty radioman. (South San Francisco, 1951)

Smooth dude. (Ethiopia, 1949)

Liking the leather jacket with gloves. DiCaprio before there was DiCaprio. (Germany, 1950)

A belated Father's Day, Dad. I miss you.

aquila49

Reaction score

I bought the shirt, but returned it. It was nice, but I didn't care for the direction of the stripes on the collar. (The contrast between the stripes is more pronounced than what you see on the web site.)

I honestly couldn't tell you if the shirt is selvedge.

subdivide

Reaction score
Super helpful - thanks a lot!

Comparisons between
Olive LE 32 / East West 32x32 / Fairmont 32x32
Waist 17.5 / 17.5 / 17.5
Front rise 10.5 / 10 / 10.5
Back rise 15 / 15 / 15
Thigh 11 / 11 / 11
Knee 8.5 / 8.5 / 8.5
Leg opening 8 / 7.5 / 7.5
Inseam 36.5 / 33.5 / 34.5

The Olive LE denim feels thinner/lighter than the others so that slightly affects the fit also.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It seems as if this is a potential hole in the market.  Not to get too off-topic here, but is anyone aware of any women's lines that mimic the quality of some of the finer menswear lines?  I too often find that the women's iterations of the menswear lines that I like (RRL, LVC, etc) seem to be lacking in the quality department.

A lot of the popular workwear men's lines have women's divisions. Kapital, Orslow, Blue Blue Japan, Chimala (actually, that one is primarily a women's line), Barena, Folk, LVC, imogene + willie, etc.

Not sure why the women's stuff would be of lesser quality. If you mean it's less "hefty," that might be -- but that's different from a quality issue. They may use lighter fabrics, but that's not so much about qulaity as it is about just design. Like the difference between red and blue, rather than good and bad stitching.

Last edited:

DJ Quaaludes

Reaction score
A lot of the popular workwear men's lines have women's divisions. Kapital, Orslow, Blue Blue Japan, Chimala (actually, that one is primarily a women's line), Barena, Folk, LVC, imogene + willie, etc.

Not sure why the women's stuff would be of lesser quality. If you mean it's less "hefty," that might be -- but that's different from a quality issue. They may use lighter fabrics, but that's not so much about qulaity as it is about just design. Like the difference between red and blue, rather than good and bad stitching.

True, and perhaps I should have clarified that. When I'm thinking of quality in this sense you are right, I am often thinking of durability and heft of fabric/stitching etc. You are right that this is less of a quality issue and more of a design issue, but this presented an 'issue' from my perspective nonetheless.

It just seemed the women's items were more of an afterthought, and besides seemingly sharing some fabric here and there, the fabrics and washes used appeared less interesting then those used in the men's line. I more or less was wondering if there were corresponding women's lines that represented mostly a difference in cut rather than design.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would think the implication in your assessment is that women's RRL just didn't sell very well compared to men's, probably for the reasons you describe.  I remember the selection being quite limited compared to the men's line, too.

Yeah, my wife loved a lot of the RRL when it steered more towards feminized versions of the classic men's workwear, but just couldn't get into the frilly shirts, rodeo skirts and prairie dresses enough to actually buy them. She did manage to get some really great denim, a leather jacket, and several of the more classic western shirts before they shut the line down..

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FWIW, my wife blew out one of the knees in a pair of RRL denim the day she got them (she knelt down to pick something up and bam, knee split from seam to seam). We sent those off to be repaired and the day she got them back, the other knee went in a similar fashion! Now I know it was not a sizing issue (my wife is 5'7" and about 101 pounds) but seriously, I guess the moral of the story is don't actually live in some of the women's cuts.. That said, having been repaired, they are one of her favorite pairs of jeans now..

BaronFizzwell

Reaction score
Quote:
We forget that for a lot of people that aren't into this, the Men's RRL is also quite "Costumey". I've read articles (possibly written by BB types) on various mainstream sites about how guys wearing this kind of vintage workwear all look like they're extras from a Depression Era period film.

Last edited:

Bethany Heck

Reaction score

Those brands have women's lines, but the selection is much smaller and yes, the lack of heft bothers me. Most of the women's lines are even boxier than the menswear!There is definitely a hole in the market for making slimmer versions of the styles these brands make for menswear, but there are few people interested in filing it. If Mister freedom offered an XS that fit me I'd be broke right now. The menswear in these brands often stray into costume as well, but it's costume based around patterns that were utilitarian and functional. The womenswear is (for the most part) just ridiculous.

Tangentially related, but I've been trying to get a leather jacket made that's similar to the RRL Wodehouse that came out many years ago, and out of the five custom jacket makers I've contacted that make one in that style only one was even willing to talk about making one in my dimensions. Most shrug, say "too bad" and point me to moto jackets that are "better for women".

badeggcat

Reaction score

I more or less was wondering if there were corresponding women's lines that represented mostly a difference in cut rather than design.

FWK Engineered Garments and Nigel Cabourn Women comes to mind. The range is not as extensive as the Men's line but that's probably due to the smaller demand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads