• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kurdo

Reaction score
I ended up getting these boots in size 44 EU, which is my usual size for sneakers and most other boots. However, I am not sure if I made the right decision despite the shoes fitting comfortably, so I just ordered a size 43 to compare.

I have a pair of white's boots (the packers) that are a size 9EE, which are a size 42 EU according to a conversion table I found. That's 2 sizes down from this boot.

This size 44 with thick socks on fit comfortably: snugly where the feet is widest, but a bit roomy at the ankle and heel. I also don't think my toes reach the point, but can't really tell because of the hard rounded toe.

I have read that with leather jackets, it's best to size down because the material stretches with age and wear. Does the same go for leather boots?

s7-1407394_alternate1.jpg

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shoe stretch a little but definitely not in toe if toebox in EU43 hurts I would skip. You say EU44 is good except heel? Is it obvious too big in heel or just the “bottom hasn’t flex so it hasn’t set in”

kurdo

Reaction score
Shoe stretch a little but definitely not in toe if toebox in EU43 hurts I would skip. You say EU44 is good except heel? Is it obvious too big in heel or just the “bottom hasn’t flex so it hasn’t set in”
It's not obvious too big in the heel; the fit just isn't as snugly as in the widest part. Not sure how to explain properly what I mean, so I took a few photos (please ignore the dust on the shoes, put it on straight out of the box) and encircled the places where the snug isn't as fit. Maybe that's just normal though (it's my first pair of Chelsea Western-style leather boots). I have the same thing with my suede Chelsea boots. Just want to make the right decision taking wear into account.

20240131_142019.jpg
20240131_142133.jpg

20240131_142201.jpg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Chelseas are always difficult to size. Definitely don't size down just because a shoe/boot is leather, but having said that, I have sized down for chelseas or loafers.

Looking at your pics you just posted and they're kind of loose around the ankle? But your feet feel locked in otherwise? Definitely wait until the 43s come in to make the judgement.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about stretching and sagging? Something I've encountered in lesser waffle knits.

Comment above about sleeve/cuff stretching and staying stretch if you roll them is true, but same about the wash/dry resetting. I don't find the stretch much at all, and again, wash/dry resets. Now they DO shrink just a bit in the first few wash/dry cycles, and maybe laying flat to dry may counteract some of this, but I find the M fits me a tiny bit large on first wear, but then shrinks just enough to fit well after washing.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ended up getting these boots in size 44 EU, which is my usual size for sneakers and most other boots. However, I am not sure if I made the right decision despite the shoes fitting comfortably, so I just ordered a size 43 to compare.

I have a pair of white's boots (the packers) that are a size 9EE, which are a size 42 EU according to a conversion table I found. That's 2 sizes down from this boot.

This size 44 with thick socks on fit comfortably: snugly where the feet is widest, but a bit roomy at the ankle and heel. I also don't think my toes reach the point, but can't really tell because of the hard rounded toe.

I have read that with leather jackets, it's best to size down because the material stretches with age and wear. Does the same go for leather boots?

So I know this is a tangent, but I never size down in leather jackets based on a hope that the leather stretches with age/wear, and I've never found this to be the case. I always buy my typical size. I have several Schott DRs and RRL leather jackets that are going on 10 years or more in age, and they have not stretched in any noticeable way.

kurdo

Reaction score
Chelseas are always difficult to size. Definitely don't size down just because a shoe/boot is leather, but having said that, I have sized down for chelseas or loafers.

Looking at your pics you just posted and they're kind of loose around the ankle? But your feet feel locked in otherwise? Definitely wait until the 43s come in to make the judgement.
Yes, exactly. A little bit loose around the ankles but otherwise perfectly locked in. Will wait for the 43s to compare. I have a feeling I'll end up sticking to the 44s.

kurdo

Reaction score
To follow-up on a previous question about the Chelsea's measurements;

ralphlauren.com states the heel height of those boots as 38mm. I measured and it's actually 30mm.

I really love the quality of the RRL Chelsea's. They aren't cheap, but they aren't cheaply made either. It makes me wonder how much I am paying for the name though. Are these boots at $690 as good as the White's Boots cruisers at $720?

I also ordered two pairs of Doucal's boots, including these dovetail ankle boots. How would you describe these? Are they "fake Western boots", or not even that? Blake construction. Love the look, no experience with this brand though.

Attachments

• DU3091BRUXUF188TM04.jpg
    DU3091BRUXUF188TM04.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 102

kurdo

Reaction score
By the way, just want to say I really appreciate this community. You all have been really helpful with advice and opinions since I discovered this brand and style of clothing a few years ago!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything western about those wingtip chelseas. If you want wingtip Chelseas, take a look at Tricker's Henry. Henry is on 4444 last which fits big. They will cost more but much better construction and materials. Tricker's can be found on sale a lot. Check their outlet store.

You should dive into the deep end of goodyear welt or stichdown construction. Start looking for Crockett & Jones, Tricker's, Viberg. Some more White's too while you're at it.

Those RRL Chelseas you got seem like a <$500 boot. Most of the RRL footwear from a known OEM seems about 25% more but the RRL version usually has some cool extra details like different heels/soles.

kurdo

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything western about those wingtip chelseas. If you want wingtip Chelseas, take a look at Tricker's Henry. Henry is on 4444 last which fits big. They will cost more but much better construction and materials. Tricker's can be found on sale a lot. Check their outlet store.

You should dive into the deep end of goodyear welt or stichdown construction. Start looking for Crockett & Jones, Tricker's, Viberg. Some more White's too while you're at it.

Those RRL Chelseas you got seem like a <$500 boot. Most of the RRL footwear from a known OEM seems about 25% more but the RRL version usually has some cool extra details like different heels/soles.

Thanks again!

Bookmarked those brands and will look into them. I have a pair of White's boots (still need to properly break them in), so familiar with that brand. I buy all my socks from White's. Have read a lot about Vibergs, but not comfortably spending $1500+ on shoes yet. Need to educate myself more on shoes and shoe care before I venture into super-high-end. Some of the greatest looking shoes though, a pair are currently featured on this website.

As for the RRL Chelseas; I think I agree with you on them not being worth their retail price. Not sure if this boot has any of those cool extra details you mentioned (wouldn't know because I am a noob), but I guess almost everyone here is aware of and comfortable with paying a premium for RRL.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't there an EU/Canada free trade agreement? So $900 Vibergs + VAT more like under $1200?
But yeah, that's a lot. Take a look at Rivet & Hide. They're in the UK.

You can also look at Cheney which is the OEM for RRL Bowery boots. I think Wesco is the OEM for RRL Engineer boots but that's speculation.

WaltDud

Reaction score
I missed out on those jeans :(
Ordered my regular size but they were too small. Anyone else experienced that with those Limited Editon olive jeans? Normal size is a width 31 of 32, the 32 I got was extremely tight. Wanted to reorder the 34, but it sold out. I hope they will release something similar soon.
Its showing 34 available:

I wear 34 and they were VERY tight on me for some reason. But I am losing weight and did manage to button em up last time I tried. Even bought suspenders so I can wear em without a belt. They're just too beautiful to send back.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonystark99