• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

shimmyt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
i don't care who you are, if you take a straight, clean shot from Silva when you are on one leg, curling up and praying for the fight to get stopped is all you could (and probably should) do, assuming you had the mental faculty to even make a rational thought (irvin was obviously in survival mode). You're not giving either fighter enough credit.

And if Irvin is a *****, I wonder what that makes you?

Respect.

+1

lols I now believe Spider could take on anyone in that division and destroy them. I mean seriously Irvin has had some big fights. Yes he's not Rampage, Wanderlei or Chuck but it shouldn't have been that easy to beat him. Hell I want to see Silva drop some more weight now and destroy GSP. Although that might be a little overkill for him. I am really interested to see who they throw in their for the September PPV since he was supposed to fight Okami but Okami broke his hand on somebodies face.

I still need to watch the Fedor fight, I expected Tim to get destroyed. I've never liked him or his "I might win standing up, I will loose and get embarrassed if I get put on the ground" style. Still would like to see Fedor go up against Arlovski, or one of the Nogueria (sp?) boys.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
have you never watched a fight before? that happens to tons of guys, and in worse fashion. they go on the ground and grab the opponent and atleast try to get themselves back. but those guys have heart.

You ever been punched in the head by Anderson Silva before?

Irvin f'd up big time with that kick by not moving his head to the side when kicking. When he kicked, he kept his head straight on giving Silva a clear straight shot to his head, which Silva took. Silva did not even need to hit Irvin anymore because he was out with that one shot. The fact that he curled up into the fetal position was just an instinctual reaction.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shimmyt
I am really interested to see who they throw in their for the September PPV since he was supposed to fight Okami but Okami broke his hand on somebodies face.
Silva will be fighting Patrick Cote.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since neither m@t nor AC have made a thread about this, I thought I'd throw it up there. This saturday is EliteXC's second event live on network tv, and the featured bout of the evening is Smith/Lawler 2. Any thoughts on this fight? If it's anything like the last one, it should be a great fight, but I have a feeling that Lawler is going to put Smith down this time for real.

Other fights on the card are:

Nick Diaz vs. Thomas Denny
Jake Shields vs. Nick Thompson
Shayna Baszler vs. Cristiane Cyborg
Antonio Silva vs. Travis Galbraith
Wilson Reis vs. Bryan Caraway
Mike Cook vs. Carl Seumantafa
Brandon Tarn vs. Drew Montgomery

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Since neither m@t nor AC have made a thread about this, I thought I'd throw it up there.
I should time you out on general principle
smile.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, at least my thread was an epic fail. Apparently there's no interest in this event at all.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Smith Lawler I was great, although this time I am with Lawler for a cruise it home win.

I predicted a couple of those at Affliction and was proven wrong though, so my kudos is under question.

Other than that, not seeing much on this card the excites me...how about you?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Smith Lawler I was great, although this time I am with Lawler for a cruise it home win.

I predicted a couple of those at Affliction and was proven wrong though, so my kudos is under question.

Other than that, not seeing much on this card the excites me...how about you?

Eh, you never know what fights are going to be exciting. There could be some no-name guys that end up in a huge war that makes for an awesome fight, just like you can have two starsin a boring fight.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
You ever been punched in the head by Anderson Silva before?

Irvin f'd up big time with that kick by not moving his head to the side when kicking. When he kicked, he kept his head straight on giving Silva a clear straight shot to his head, which Silva took. Silva did not even need to hit Irvin anymore because he was out with that one shot. The fact that he curled up into the fetal position was just an instinctual reaction.

ive been hit in the head with some pretty hard shots, not silva shots, but hard. and silva didnt even get everything into it. and he was not out, if he was out his hands would have been by his side, not covering his head. even more proof he wasnt out is that he was covering up while taking the shots, and was really OUT when silva punched him in the chin, and not the head while he was down. im not saying the shot didnt hurt, im sure it did, but he could have grabbed silvas leg and tried to recover, instead of going, oh ****, that hurt, id rather just lay here, take some more punches and let the ref stop it.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little MMA'd out from last weekend, so I don't know if I'll catch this card, particularly with a pretty good WEC card the following Sunday (eight days later) and UFC 87 the Saturday after that. EliteXC's production values leave a little to be desired, but I think there are some fights worth watching.

From what I saw in the first fight, Lawler is a much better technical fighter than Smith. He was messing around in the first fight and let up when he could have taken Smith out. He doesn't make the same mistake twice. Lawler by TKO in the first.

Nick Diaz is fighting. He's always fun to watch.

Jake Shields is fighting for the EliteXC welterweight title. He's supposed to be a top-ten welterweight (probably the only one not fighting in the UFC), so it'll be interesting to see how good he really is.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
ive been hit in the head with some pretty hard shots, not silva shots, but hard. and silva didnt even get everything into it. and he was not out, if he was out his hands would have been by his side, not covering his head. even more proof he wasnt out is that he was covering up while taking the shots, and was really OUT when silva punched him in the chin, and not the head while he was down. im not saying the shot didnt hurt, im sure it did, but he could have grabbed silvas leg and tried to recover, instead of going, oh ****, that hurt, id rather just lay here, take some more punches and let the ref stop it.

I think his hands covering his head was just a motor reaction that he didn't really think about or wasn't really conscious of. I also think he was caught a little off guard by how hard he was hit, add to that the fact that he was standing on one foot when he got caught and you have a pretty good recipe for a nice KO.

Even the guys who automatically grab for the leg when they go down, that's a motor reaction too that they're not conscious of (have you ever noticed how many times they end up grabbing the ref's leg instead of their opponent's leg), and that reaction doesn't work most of the time either. It's just that Irvin happened to have a different motor reaction (fetal position).

I don't know, we can all sit here and talk ****, but without being in Irvin's position having just been punched, I think it's a little unfair to sit there and say "what a *****, he should have grabbed his leg."

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fedor's next victim will be Andrei Arlovski. I would have like to have seen Arlovski fight Josh Barnett for the right to fight Fedor, but I guess Affliction wants Fedor in action as much as possible. It's not like he worked up much of a sweat in his fight with Tim Sylvia.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Fedor's next victim will be Andrei Arlovski. I would have like to have seen Arlovski fight Josh Barnett for the right to fight Fedor, but I guess Affliction wants Fedor in action as much as possible. It's not like he worked up much of a sweat in his fight with Tim Sylvia.

I have to give this one to Fedor. I think Arlovski sometimes lets things get to his head and gets intimidated, and how do you not get intidmidated by Fedor. I also think that Arlovski has a bit of a suspect chin and it seems that nobody hits as hard as Fedor. I see Fedor taking this one by second round KO.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
well he cant possibly do any worse that Sylvia can he?

edit - noting their seats with The Don, cant help but think Tito may be on the card next time round too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads