1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official MMA thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, May 30, 2008.

1. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
  2. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Senior member

This has the potential to be on of the greates MMA fights of alltime.

If he comes in properly conditioned BJ will win

3. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I'm rooting for BJ - there's just something about GSP that's kind of annoying. Of course, it should be a great fight.

4. scfdefinit

scfdefinit Senior member

Both are very skilled but I'd have to give it to GSP due to his athleticism. BJ has to be in real good shape if he wants to go the distance.

5. onion

onion Senior member

GSP by decision or KO.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

They are going to fight at 170 lbs, right? I think that at that weight, BJ will be under strength (especially against GSP); and he definitely will not have as much cardio as GSP. I give this one to GSP by TKO in the later rounds.

7. Reborn

Reborn Senior member

BJ Penn!

He busted up GSP last time and lost a very close decision, that was when he wasn't training full time and was a fat 170. He's a completely new animal now.

8. Matt

Matt Senior member

GSP by ko sometime in the second.

9. Mauro

GSP os a better fighter too. BJ cardio can't compete with GSP.
    Even the MMA writters favor GSP not that means anything.

10. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I'm rooting for BJ - there's just something about GSP that's kind of annoying. Of course, it should be a great fight.

what, his french accent?

11. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

BJ Penn!

He busted up GSP last time and lost a very close decision, that was when he wasn't training full time and was a fat 170. He's a completely new animal now.

People realize that although GSP won the last fight, he was the one who had to stay overnight at a hospital for observation (he was interviewed by sherdog from a hospital bed). Hard to say he was the winner there.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

People realize that although GSP won the last fight, he was the one who had to stay overnight at a hospital for observation (he was interviewed by sherdog from a hospital bed). Hard to say he was the winner there.
    "Georges St. Pierre spent the night in a hospital. I spent the night at a bar."
    -- B.J. Penn, after GSP fight

Any Penn-GSP thread on sherdog is the equivalent of the black suits thread on StyleForum. Penn fans claim that he owned GSP in the first round and won the fight, while GSP partisans argue that Penn benefited from an illegal, though inadvertent, eyepoke in that first round.

13. Reborn

Reborn Senior member

A lot of people thought it was a 10-8 first round with GSP winning rounds two and three due to BJP having no cardio. He fought that fight on talent alone.

BJ is training full time now working with a nutritionist and has completely changed his attitude towards fighting. He went from thinking he can have the world from talent alone to wanting to work for it and show everyone how dominate he can be. I'm sure if you ask Jens, Joe S and Sherk would win they might be putting their money on BJ. He made them all look like amateurs.

I don't see GSP knocking him out as I don't recall him ever even been hurt on his feet and I believe he's never even been knocked down, that's including his fight against Machida at 205 lbs [​IMG]

14. dinted voice

dinted voice Senior member

It should be an amazing fight. About BJ not being knocked down, I think GSP could be the one to do that. GSP has been at the top of his game lately. Of course, BJ is just as great a fighter. It could go either way, but since their last fight I think GSP has progressed more and become a powerhouse.

15. Mauro

+1

No to mention because BJ has crazy natural talent and doesnt train that hard compared to other fighters he might over train for GSP which would only make GSP look better.

16. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

what, his french accent?

I don't know - can't quite put my finger on it.

[​IMG]

17. Odd Morsel

Odd Morsel Senior member

I'll also give the slight edge to BJ for many of the same reasons listed here. While GSP's a stud, I don't see him ever knocking out BJ. Penn by split decision.

18. Eason

Eason Senior member

How can you predict BJ to win by a split decision? A split decision means that one of the judges thought a fighter won, so it basically means you're betting that the judges are morons (a good bet, actually) and that both fighters can win, so it doesn't mean anything as a prediction.

19. Odd Morsel

Odd Morsel Senior member

How can you predict BJ to win by a split decision? A split decision means that one of the judges thought a fighter won, so it basically means you're betting that the judges are morons (a good bet, actually) and that both fighters can win, so it doesn't mean anything as a prediction.

I don't follow you. I'm simply predicting the outcome the same way boxing (or mma) sportswriters sometimes write predictions (e.g. Cotto by 3rd round KO) Have you never encountered such a thing?

20. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

GSP by TKO. BJ will gas in the third.