• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The official LVC thread***

ShaneB

Reaction score
I'm going to try shrink to fit for the first time - 1954 501.

What's the recommendation for waist size? LVC is TTS, and I always buy a 32 waist - so should I be buying a 32 waist in the shrink to fit? I assume it will shrink 0.5"-1" in the waist - which will be too tight - but well stretch out to a true 32 after some wear? Is that generally the rule?

Or should I be sizing up to a 33 waist or even 34 waist? But then wouldn't they stretch too big after wear?

If anyone could help by sharing their experiences that'd be a help - don't want to be paying down £100+ for jeans that don't end up fitting.

Cheers.

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
I'm going to try shrink to fit for the first time - 1954 501.

What's the recommendation for waist size? LVC is TTS, and I always buy a 32 waist - so should I be buying a 32 waist in the shrink to fit? I assume it will shrink 0.5"-1" in the waist - which will be too tight - but well stretch out to a true 32 after some wear? Is that generally the rule?

Or should I be sizing up to a 33 waist or even 34 waist? But then wouldn't they stretch too big after wear?

If anyone could help by sharing their experiences that'd be a help - don't want to be paying down £100+ for jeans that don't end up fitting.

Cheers.
I bought a 33 in my 1954 STF 501z with a natural waist size of 34. I wore them in the tub and they got considerably tighter but eventually stretched back out to about a size 34. Kinda confusing but thought I'd add my 2 cents

ShaneB

Reaction score
^^^^

Yeah it does, cheers for that. I take it you're normally a 34 then for pre-soaked LVC?

I reckon I'll go for my usual waist & soak them whilst wearing them in the bath.

Vicious49

Reaction score
I didn't realize there was an official LVC thread before I posted this question elsewhere.

I picked up these 1947 LVC 501 jeans off the MrPorter sale. I'm trying to find out I'd these are STF or not. The MrPorter site makes no mention of it but everything I've googled says this model is STF. But since these are washed and distressed they should be preshrunk right?

https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens...47-501-jacob-wash-selvedge-denim-jeans/458432

LAooy

Reaction score
I can be wrong, but it is my understanding that the raw indigo 501's are STF.

I have a pair of 1947 raw that I soaked in hot water, and saw significant shrinkage especially with the inseam.

I also own a pair of these linked below

http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/...insed-regular-fit-selvedge-denim-jeans/379246

I purchased these with the same assumption you made, "Since they are rinsed, they must be pre-shrunk."
I have only worn them a handful of times, and have yet to soak/wash them.

If you don't get a definite answer, I'd suggest calling a denim shop and talking to an expert.

The Pastoral Utopian

Reaction score
Sanforized, rinsed or prewashed denim is still going to shrink in the length, especially if it's machine washed and dried. Any LVC 501 that isn't raw denim (what Mr. Porter identifies as shrink to fit and advises getting the next larger size) isn't going to pucker up in the top block but will lose some length. The way to counteract this is to stretch the jeans lengthwise after washing while they're still wet and to never subject them to the drier. To answer the question directly, the "jacob wash" is a treated--and therefore not raw--denim that will not shrink to fit but will likely lose some of its length.

I jumped on the deal for the LVC '62 jeans.

Vicious49

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply. The jeans are 2" or so long in the inseam so them losing length would help me avoid tailoring costs. I just can't afford to have them get tighter in the waist, thighs, etc.

randomnoob

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a size for the 1954 501Z? i consider myself a 32" waist (in reality, i think it's creeped up over 33" lately..)

in regular cheap new Levi's, a 31" in 501 fits ok (though the rigid 31" i tried was huge and it wasnt STF), and in the new 541 athletic fit a 30" is perfect.

ideally, after soaking, i'd like to be measuring 16" across the waistband and stretch it out to 16.5" and have a little bit of room in the thighs

Last edited:

ShaneB

Reaction score
How much stretch in the waist can I get out of the 1947 501s?

Got the rigid 1947 501 - they shrank 2" in the leg but the waist remained true (i,e, 16"). Qute tight in the waist - hoping they'll stretch to 16.5 - how much wear do I need to get out of them before I see some stretching?

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a size for the 1954 501Z? i consider myself a 32" waist (in reality, i think it's creeped up over 33" lately..)

in regular cheap new Levi's, a 31" in 501 fits ok (though the rigid 31" i tried was huge and it wasnt STF), and in the new 541 athletic fit a 30" is perfect.

ideally, after soaking, i'd like to be measuring 16" across the waistband and stretch it out to 16.5" and have a little bit of room in the thighs

How much stretch in the waist can I get out of the 1947 501s?

Got the rigid 1947 501 - they shrank 2" in the leg but the waist remained true (i,e, 16"). Qute tight in the waist - hoping they'll stretch to 16.5 - how much wear do I need to get out of them before I see some stretching?
My feeling has been to get TTS and then hot soak while wearing them in the tub. Doing this allowed my 1954 501z's to become more form fitting around the thighs and calves while keeping the waist at a pretty constant size. I made sure to sit in a way that prevented the waist from shrinking too much

ShaneB

Reaction score

My feeling has been to get TTS and then hot soak while wearing them in the tub. Doing this allowed my 1954 501z's to become more form fitting around the thighs and calves while keeping the waist at a pretty constant size. I made sure to sit in a way that prevented the waist from shrinking too much

Yeah that's why I did to be honest - I'm a 32 waist in LVC, and I bought 32x36, soaked them whilst wearing them, and they shrank to 32x34. I think all this 'size up' stuff is a bit hit and miss.

They measured 16" before wash and they measured 16" after; 16" is a little tight though - 16.5" is better for me; I bought the 32 because I read they should stretch at least an inch in the waist - just wondering how long that normally takes. I mean I can wear them, but they'd be more comfrtoable with a bit room.

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
Yeah that's why I did to be honest - I'm a 32 waist in LVC, and I bought 32x36, soaked them whilst wearing them, and they shrank to 32x34. I think all this 'size up' stuff is a bit hit and miss.

They measured 16" before wash and they measured 16" after; 16" is a little tight though - 16.5" is better for me; I bought the 32 because I read they should stretch at least an inch in the waist - just wondering how long that normally takes. I mean I can wear them, but they'd be more comfrtoable with a bit room.
my 33's remained a 33 after soaking and have now stretched to about a 34. They are easily my best fitting jeans I just wish the denim didn't feel so cheap and flimsy after 1 year of wear

ShaneB

Reaction score

my 33's remained a 33 after soaking and have now stretched to about a 34. They are easily my best fitting jeans I just wish the denim didn't feel so cheap and flimsy after 1 year of wear

I know what you mean - it's not very heavy denim / doesn't feel very substantial. Apparently the 1955 are 13.75oz.

My Lee 101s feel a bit more substantial than these 47's, though the fit it spot on.

Glad to know yours stretched - If I can stretch mine to a 33 they'll be perfect.

Gonna try and track down a 1966 501 - that's what I'm really after.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The San Francisco Levis store is having 70% off. They had these 1933 marked down from $595 to $178.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads