• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Classic Men's Coats Thread

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes. The museum has a NOS Westcountry duffle (the domestic label for Invertere) produced for Old England. It has a great checked blanket lining.

Can we get some Invertere museum pr0n up in here? Pretty please.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably not, as I never really got into taking pictures, but if I did, I would photograph the Grenfell cloth cotton shell Alpaca lined bomber jacket, bought new from O'Connells right after my wife gave away the stormcoat (Ethan convinced me that, though it wasn't the same, it was equally cool - and he was right). It is both cool and unusual (Bearcats are bizzarre, but more frequently seen - Vox's Alpaca pile duffel, though, is pretty rare).

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anybody have thoughts on what would comprise a good, well-rounded coat collection?

I'm thinking:

1. A camel haired polo coat. Peak lapeled, half belted, patch pockets. Either tan or one shade darker than tan.
2. A country tweed Ulster. Half belted, Ulster collar, cuffed sleeves, patch pockets. I'd stick to earthy colors such as brown or olive.
3. A guards coat for the city. Double breasted, peak lapeled, welted pockets, half belted. I think navy is the right color here.
4. A Loden coat. Has to be dark green, and made from real Loden cloth. I would go without the deep center vent on the back because I'm a *****.
5. Either a covert coat or Chesterfield, depending on where you spend most of your time. The first being better for the country; the second better for the city. Fawn or grey herringbone respectively.
6. A raincoat, either a trench or mac. Navy or tan are acceptable.
7. If you live in Moscow or New York, possibly some kind of true great coat.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody have thoughts on what would comprise a good, well-rounded coat collection?

I'm thinking:

1. A camel haired polo coat. Peak lapeled, half belted, patch pockets. Either tan or one shade darker than tan.
2. A country tweed Ulster. Half belted, Ulster collar, cuffed sleeves, patch pockets. I'd stick to earthy colors such as brown or olive.
3. A guards coat for the city. Double breasted, peak lapeled, welted pockets, half belted. I think navy is the right color here.
4. A Loden coat. Has to be dark green, and made from real Loden cloth. I would go without the deep center vent on the back because I'm a *****.
5. Either a covert coat or Chesterfield, depending on where you spend most of your time. The first being better for the country; the second better for the city. Fawn or grey herringbone respectively.
6. A raincoat, either a trench or mac. Navy or tan are acceptable.
7. If you live in Moscow or New York, possibly some kind of true great coat.

Add:

a British Warm in "pink" , a Balmacaan in tweed or tight weave cloth like Loden, a reversible tweed Balamacaan/Raincoat

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What, no tweed great coat?

Also, how does Grenfell compare to the extinct Invertere?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What, no tweed great coat?

Also, how does Grenfell compare to the extinct Invertere?

The Grenfell stormcoat O'Connell's is selling is pretty much the same. It ws made for O'Connell's to their specs and I am certain uses the same alpaca pile lining. They were always made with a variety of shell fabrics, so there is no point in comparing those.
As I wrote way above, I saw it up close while I was wearing my own Invertere and someone else was wearing an Invertere for Paul Stuart version. As far as I could tell, they were basically all the same quality, with minor stying differences.
In other words, if you want a super well made, traditional RTW stormcoat, the O'Connell's Grenfell coat is a great option.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

7. If you live in Moscow or New York, possibly a coat in fur, down or shearling for the coldest days that penetrate the great coat and the 16oz worsted underneath.

FTFY. I suspect you haven't lived in either place for a sufficient length of time.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've lived in Moscow for over a year, and visited in the winter a few times before that. Have also lived through a couple of NYC winters, including that cold snap a few years ago.

I think I just don't cold easily. Unless it drops below 15-20 degrees, I'm fine with a baselayer, hat, scarf, shirt, good sweater, and a basic coat.

Last edited:

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've lived in Moscow for over a year, and visited in the winter a few times before that. Have also lived through a couple of NYC winters, including that cold snap a few years ago.

I think I just don't cold easily. Unless it drops below 15-20 degrees, I'm fine with a baselayer, hat, scarf, shirt, good sweater, and a basic coat.

+1 unless it gets that cold (like now), my heavier cashmere and tweed jackets are just fine with a scarf and gloves.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your metabolism must be through the roof. The cold snap in NYC 2 years ago ate though my british warm (20+ oz Minnis) and convinced me to get a shearling coat.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your metabolism must be through the roof. The cold snap in NYC 2 years ago ate though my british warm (20+ oz Minnis) and convinced me to get a shearling coat.

Notwithstanding my post above, I have a custom sapphire mink ushanka being made on account of my bald dome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads