Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Classic Men's Coats Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Jan 19, 2013.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

3. dopey

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Can we get some Invertere museum pr0n up in here? Pretty please.

5. dopey

Probably not, as I never really got into taking pictures, but if I did, I would photograph the Grenfell cloth cotton shell Alpaca lined bomber jacket, bought new from O'Connells right after my wife gave away the stormcoat (Ethan convinced me that, though it wasn't the same, it was equally cool - and he was right). It is both cool and unusual (Bearcats are bizzarre, but more frequently seen - Vox's Alpaca pile duffel, though, is pretty rare).

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Anybody have thoughts on what would comprise a good, well-rounded coat collection?

I'm thinking:

1. A camel haired polo coat. Peak lapeled, half belted, patch pockets. Either tan or one shade darker than tan.
    2. A country tweed Ulster. Half belted, Ulster collar, cuffed sleeves, patch pockets. I'd stick to earthy colors such as brown or olive.
    3. A guards coat for the city. Double breasted, peak lapeled, welted pockets, half belted. I think navy is the right color here.
    4. A Loden coat. Has to be dark green, and made from real Loden cloth. I would go without the deep center vent on the back because I'm a pussy.
    5. Either a covert coat or Chesterfield, depending on where you spend most of your time. The first being better for the country; the second better for the city. Fawn or grey herringbone respectively.
    6. A raincoat, either a trench or mac. Navy or tan are acceptable.
    7. If you live in Moscow or New York, possibly some kind of true great coat.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

7. comrade

comrade Senior member

Add:

a British Warm in "pink" , a Balmacaan in tweed or tight weave cloth like Loden, a reversible tweed Balamacaan/Raincoat

8. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

What, no tweed great coat?

Also, how does Grenfell compare to the extinct Invertere?

9. dopey

The Grenfell stormcoat O'Connell's is selling is pretty much the same. It ws made for O'Connell's to their specs and I am certain uses the same alpaca pile lining. They were always made with a variety of shell fabrics, so there is no point in comparing those.
    As I wrote way above, I saw it up close while I was wearing my own Invertere and someone else was wearing an Invertere for Paul Stuart version. As far as I could tell, they were basically all the same quality, with minor stying differences.
    In other words, if you want a super well made, traditional RTW stormcoat, the O'Connell's Grenfell coat is a great option.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

FTFY. I suspect you haven't lived in either place for a sufficient length of time.

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I've lived in Moscow for over a year, and visited in the winter a few times before that. Have also lived through a couple of NYC winters, including that cold snap a few years ago.

I think I just don't cold easily. Unless it drops below 15-20 degrees, I'm fine with a baselayer, hat, scarf, shirt, good sweater, and a basic coat.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013

12. harbinger

harbinger Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Great thread,a few pictures of a vintage reversible Invertere.

13. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

+1 unless it gets that cold (like now), my heavier cashmere and tweed jackets are just fine with a scarf and gloves.

14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Your metabolism must be through the roof. The cold snap in NYC 2 years ago ate though my british warm (20+ oz Minnis) and convinced me to get a shearling coat.

15. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Notwithstanding my post above, I have a custom sapphire mink ushanka being made on account of my bald dome.