• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Since I am looking into these boots (A1923 dual zips) a little more seriously, may I ask a few basic questions I'm sure have been asked many times before?

1 - I can work these boots hard, and not be concerned wearing them in dirt, snow, ice, rain? 

2 - Other than occasional oiling with something like obenaufs they are low maintenance?

3 - I understand sending them to be vibrammed will be a reasonable thing to do within the first few months of wear - this protects the natural sole but also makes them more slip resistant?

4 - Are the dual zips mainly a design thing, or does the lower zip actually help in getting the boot on?

1 - If they're dark-colored boots, I wouldn't be too concerned with keeping them pristine - across all leather types, they're very well-made with thick leather. Moderate dirt, mud, snow, rain, etc. will be fine - just clean them off a bit with a damp towel when you get home and be sure to dry them out for a couple days if they get too wet. They're not storm-welted, however, so in very wet conditions water will seep in. I don't wear my light-colored boots in the elements

2 - Very low maintenance. Most have quite a bit of natural oil. Be wary about conditioning them if they have heavy processing done to the leather, it will likely change the finish of the boot. In my case, I'll usually hold off conditioning them for a year or two after purchasing, only doing so when the boot starts becoming visibly dry and has an "ashy" feel to it. Rather than obenaufs, I'll use saphir delicate as it's a bit easier on the leather while still cleaning and restoring the leather. If they're reverse leather, I will use a nubuck waterproofer (like the one they sell for Uggs) if I wear them in the rain/snow, otherwise no conditioning is necessary.

3 - Personal preference. I do all mine immediately because I wear them in rain and snow, gets a bit slippery otherwise. It'll certainly prolong the life of the boot and make maintenance cheaper and easier as you can replace the rubber portion when it wears down. I don't imagine even an expert cobbler will be able to replace an A1923 leather sole very easily

4 - I've never handled the dual zip but I've been told that it does help

everything NN said is spot on.

4. is kinda design, had it been a full zip down it would be better because it is a bit hard to get your foot in.

IDK what leather you plan on getting but i recommend oiled horse or culatta both available at Hide-M http://hide-m.com,

JFetter

Reaction score
I'm looking at oiled horse vs buffalo.

Haven't been able to dig up a ton of info in this thread about buffalo... other than it's softer.

Which sounds nice, but I'm not sure it has the look I'm after. The few pics I've seen show it as slightly shiny and "pebbly" grain.

This I believe is the oiled horse, which has a wonderful smooth and matte look.. yet rough and wrinkly and thick looking.

psydle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zam Barrett 15 oz object dyed woven cotton/linen trousers stuffed in a1923 rev horse dual zips.

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm looking at oiled horse vs buffalo. Haven't been able to dig up a ton of info in this thread about buffalo... other than it's softer. Which sounds nice, but I'm not sure it has the look I'm after. The few pics I've seen show it as slightly shiny and "pebbly" grain. This I believe is the oiled horse, which has a wonderful smooth and matte look.. yet rough and wrinkly and thick looking.
Yea those are the oiled horse. Culatta looks even more matte and is stiffer. Bison is supposedly the next fairly resilient leather after horse and is normally thick and has more grain. You won't go wrong with either. However the dual zips look better in horse IMO.

psydle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People of the foot size 12,
These front zips have been up on eBay for a while. Might be a prime time to throw out an offer and get a deal on an entry level priced a1923. They're reverse something, can't tell if it is horse or steer. You can see how nice and thick the leather is if you check the zipper track. The sole looks untouched. Someone has neglected the instructions on the box and has "handled these with care". I would ask for some more info like outsole length and description of fit first but someone should pick them up for this price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A1923-A-Dic...05&prg=11353&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=271644318408&rt=nc

Last edited:

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shop owners and private institutions do salt here. I only wear vibramed boots when its wet and Obenhauf's heavy duty LP.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
do you guys vibram double soled shoes too or only the heel in those cases?

psydle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually do have something added to the halfsole as well on everything. The heel helps but I've had just as many near slip n' fall situations due to the ball of my foot sliding on a wet subway tile or metal stairway. I'm trying out KJ Long Life sole material as a thinner alternative. They offer a stock 4 mm that can be applied right over all existing leather (still shave in a but for the halfsole to meet up smooth) without ruining the profile or balance. I'll let you guys know how it wears compared to vibram or topy.

Magic1

Reaction score
In the market for carpe diem, ma+ (robust versions), augusta, inaisce x layer-0 (sz 42), maybe individual sentiments.

size 40-41 or 6.

Side zip, back zip, short lace up boots or derbies.

Just thought I'd float this around.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

People of the foot size 12, These front zips have been up on eBay for a while. Might be a prime time to throw out an offer and get a deal on an entry level priced a1923. They're reverse something, can't tell if it is horse or steer. You can see how nice and thick the leather is if you check the zipper track. The sole looks untouched. Someone has neglected the instructions on the box and has "handled these with care". I would ask for some more info like outsole length and description of fit first but someone should pick them up for this price.
those are calf i believe, ss12 same season as the reverse calf back zips i had

Pairate

Reaction score
People of the foot size 12,
These front zips have been up on eBay for a while. Might be a prime time to throw out an offer and get a deal on an entry level priced a1923. They're reverse something, can't tell if it is horse or steer. You can see how nice and thick the leather is if you check the zipper track. The sole looks untouched. Someone has neglected the instructions on the box and has "handled these with care". I would ask for some more info like outsole length and description of fit first but someone should pick them up for this price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A1923-A-Dic...05&prg=11353&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=271644318408&rt=nc

I'll also throw out awlouie's front zips and double zips on SZ. Checked them out in person a week or so ago. Really solid stuff and all around great guy. Struggled with buying the double zips but ended up concluding I need a black pair first.

The red pair looks fantastic. IMO the color is a bit lighter in person, with more of an orange hue. Definitely not as bold as pictured, which was a pleasant surprise.

http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18682&highlight=a1923

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix