• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
nothing will make the matching of those seams "easier". It's simply the level of patience and skill of the person making them. If one of those corners goes 1mm out of tolerance it will throw every other zig and zag out of place. It's as simple as that. It's a display of power.

And it's not just the "stitching being even"... The patterns need to be precise. Then the cloth needs to be cut precisely. Then sewn precisely. Then pressed... you guessed it... precisely.

Like I said before, perhaps all of this work is lost on the layperson, and it happens that way sometimes. Creators sometimes want to show their peers that they are at the top, kinda like "catch me if you can!" and they get lost in that tunnel vision only to create product that very few people will understand.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

This is like the exact opposite feeling I get. I get really happy when some non-internets person has something in common with my clothes. Every time it happens we look at each other and end up giving a small nod and a fist-bump or something. Particularly if it's at a bar.

Congratulations! You're normal! You're actually self-aware! Hurray!

Last edited:

newp

Reaction score
Does Deepti even post there? Even if she did, I doubt it will be annoying as GBS. The guy just puts himself on a pedestal and makes sure that you know it.
I guess his work puts him there much more than his words. I doubt there is a designer working in artisan industry who goes to an extent like Geoffrey does. Him being vocal about such an extent is more like a pro than a con to me since his clothes are limited to a very small amount of stockists and you have to experience it in person (just like Deepti by the way). Also I very much love the fact he is the one of a very small company of designers who bother themselves to explain their items to their audience and clients: I know only him, Zam of Zam Barrett and Albert of Collateral Concepts who do that. Other designers sit somewhere on their actual pedestals without bothering to talk to their clients online. Oh, and LEB has created a SZ account, but he doesn't use it much.

I have yet to see something from LEB that fits well (TO ME, apart from leather jackets which works for me), every single garment and now footwear has 'extra' material especially in joints (knees, elbows). His ethos of course treats these deformities as part of the design and it will work well for some people Im sure. Because of the nature of his work he cannot possibly make garments that fit right against the body AND fulfil his unique ethos of pattern drafting (it will take WAY TOO MUCH time).
This space is basically to let you bend your knees or elbows without stretching the material. It's quite expected, unlike some of CCP leathers when you can't actually bend your elbow until you break your leather in.

thatoneguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone should buy for their s/o

https://www.therealreal.com/products/women/shoes/boots/ma-plus-distressed-ankle-boots

eloq

Reaction score

I guess

This space is basically to let you bend your knees or elbows without stretching the material. It's quite expected, unlike some of CCP leathers when you can't actually bend your elbow until you break your leather in.

nope that isn't how it works, the 'extra material' is caused by 'incorrectly' used darts and when you have consecutive darts at places where the body doesnt need it, it creates that deformity.
the deformity is of course as intended by LEB cause thats how he pattern drafts, darts all over the place to form the material.

Also It is difficult to find hard/heavy leather jackets that doesnt require breaking in...even the ones used by bikers require breaking in by wearing it and riding. CCPs pattern drafting makes garments tight with high armholes and such so it might be worse on a ccp leather jacket but yeah can't help it.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I guess his work puts him there much more than his words. I doubt there is a designer working in artisan industry who goes to an extent like Geoffrey does. Him being vocal about such an extent is more like a pro than a con to me since his clothes are limited to a very small amount of stockists and you have to experience it in person (just like Deepti by the way). Also I very much love the fact he is the one of a very small company of designers who bother themselves to explain their items to their audience and clients: I know only him, Zam of Zam Barrett and Albert of Collateral Concepts who do that. Other designers sit somewhere on their actual pedestals without bothering to talk to their clients online. Oh, and LEB has created a SZ account, but he doesn't use it much.

there are a lot of designers who have accounts on SZ and even here. its just that many do not use their actual names.
Many also simply do not post because of fear that saying something or being "too accessible" might hurt thier brand

For me I was a member of Forums before i started the menswear phase on my work, and I didn't see the need to just disappear after i did. I enjoy the discussions and conversations not just about my own work, but fashion as a general subject.
However I can also see a certain wisdom in not engaging too as some of my colleagues do and for good reasons

MISCHIEF NIGHT

Reaction score
I don't have a horse in this race but just throwing my useless opinion out there, as someone who loves art, fashion, and music, I enjoy getting a peak behind the curtain, and in particular with zam and gbs their posts are remarkable when it comes to giving a sense of depth and understanding to an industry that's generally not transparent

Tldr I enjoy it when people talk about their work

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are a lot of designers who have accounts on SZ and even here. its just that many do not use their actual names.
Many also simply do not post because of fear that saying something or being "too accessible" might hurt thier brand

For me I was a member of Forums before i started the menswear phase on my work, and I didn't see the need to just disappear after i did. I enjoy the discussions and conversations not just about my own work, but fashion as a general subject.
However I can also see a certain wisdom in not engaging too as some of my colleagues do and for good reasons
It depends on the person. If you are pretty chill or can otherwise disengage, it's a good thing to be on a forum. If you know yourself to be a hothead, it's always a bad idea to engage in an internet battle.

That's why a lot of designers require good public spokespeople.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alphalabscbdus