• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that most Alden dealers try to prevent their customers from trying on shoes in such a way that causes the vamps to crease. I know that if I were to open a box of $500-800 Alden's and the vamps were creased I'd send them right back. I understand I t's kindve a catch 22 because you want to make sure they fit right when you're paying that much, but if they don't fit, the store or the next customer is kindve screwed.
Depends on the retailer. Apparently some encourage it (Kathy DC). I agree, it is very disappointing to spend $500+ on shoes that have been tried on extensively. Personally, I can tell whether or not a shoe fits without creasing them, but I guess not everyone is as skilled as I am.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello all, Long time lurker, finally decided to see what all the fuss was about :D
Managed to snag a pair of the cigar cap toes from DC. Inspected both boots and the leather looks excellent, but I did notice an issue with the welt on the outside of the left boot. Looks like they messed up the stitching and even missed a hole :angry:
After paying over $800 for a pair of boots, part of me thinks that everything should be perfect. But I've felt this way about imperfections on other shoes before, and I can't even recall what they were at this point. I only see the messed stitching after close scrutiny, and I don't even notice them when the boots are on. And did I mention I absolutely love this shade?
That's a great start. The color is spectacular.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden's quality control is lacking. And this might sound ignorant, but Leffot posted a video of them at the Alden factory. The employees there who work on the shoes look like they only buy square toe dress shoes at DSW when there is a wedding coming up. The women who work there look like the type that thinks anything over 100 on a shoe is a rip off. They likely don't even like any of the shoes they make. When you look at a Crockett & Jones factory video, the employees seem more sophisticated and more the type who enjoy high end shoes, and I think that plays a role in C&J just being better than Alden.

The stitching is unacceptable and I would get it exchanged or returned.

Ok, Omert4, the lightbulb just went off. I see your point now.

So, we can 100% agree that your entire argument sounds incredibly ignorant, which even you acknowledge.

Omert4

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's a great start. The color is spectacular.

I am not trolling here at all. The top top-down shape of the barrie lasted boots you quoted remind me of the shape of Reptar. It's one reason why I am slightly unsatisfied with my Jcrew Alden boots.

Look what I mean

Last edited:

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not trolling here at all. The top top-down shape of the barrie lasted boots you quoted remind me of the shape of Reptar. It's one reason why I am slightly unsatisfied with my Jcrew Alden boots.

Look what I mean

Aren't those the Grant last?

Omert4

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Aren't those the Grant last?
Not sure. Just assumed they were. I am not sure what the last has to do with the top-down look of the boots, but do you kind of see what I mean as far as the shape goes?

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I can appreciate your points about not being able to make employees care, but my opinion is this is still a cultural tone set top down, not bottom up. I've never seen it work or be driven the other way around - it nearly always falls back on management (I'm bowing out of the Union aspect of this discussion...).

Google and Apple aren't overly relevant in the context of what amounts to a discussion of blue collar manufacturing of commodity goods.

When you say "most workplaces encourage the workforce to be forthcoming...", this is again management encouraging this behavior.

We can agree that it takes both sides to be successful, and my opinion is when the culture of a facility is generally not geared to produce a quality product, the first place to start investigating is the philosophy of the management, and the culture of the plant.

My suspicion (and it's just my guess) is that at Alden culturally all the "flaws" we obsess over are simply not viewed the same way people here see them - and unless management drives a change, quality will likely continue down the same path.

And we Lemmings will continue to bemoan it, and gladly shell out $700+ to sell out an offering in 20 minutes... Hahahahah
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
BN

Agree to disagree accepted. :)
I discussed with my wife she helps put things in perspective sometimes.
It takes a collaborated effort from all employees to make a successful business.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a critic of Alden QC. On that point I agree with the OP. That said, we should move on. There is private messaging for forum members who wish to discuss the appearance of Alden factory workers and the appropriateness of Alden factory restrooms.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you Bakes17711. I am San Francisco born and raised. I am used to the critique I've received in the thread. I was once called a bigot for saying that the current issue of marriage is a definition issue, rather than an equal right's issue (because technically gays have the same marriage rights as straights), and people called me a bigot. If people could put their feelings aside, maybe they would see my point.

It's virtually completely impossible to successfully argue a point like this (or the current definition of marriage) on a message board. The fact that you don't understand this is what makes this so ridiculous. But please, do go on...maybe we'll all see your point eventually.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The socks are a great match.
Thanks. I miss uncle Mac.
Shot of whiskey for Friday...
My lawn is just about back, @MrDV ! I hope everyone has a nice weekend...
Looking good rtp. Great shine, nice lawn.
Your combos always look good dv. I also prefer slim (not skinny) pants with no break and personally think Alden's look great when paired that way.
Thank you sir. It's my favorite combo at the moment.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful combo. Tempting me to pick up a pair of whiskey SW. Not sure if wallet can handle it this month.

Joshua Lee

Reaction score
The topic of a workers appearance can relate to their pride in the quality of their work is an interesting subject. I think there is some truths in both management a top down / bottom up approach to production. If an employee wishes to take more time, or redo a section of a shoe because it doesn't fit the quality of shoes they built in the past, but management decides it'll work against their bottom line, then the employee loses all chance of following the lead of quality they think the product should be. Also, I doubt workers care about whether it's calf, suede, or cordovan leather used, they most likely care just about their tasks, and whether or not it's an acceptable level.

I'm guessing Alden's quality is dropping because they're experience massive growth from their recent venture into other retailers, not because employees don't have a great level of pride in their work. It probably just comes down to out-dated management, system tracking, and my guess a resistance to expand their workforce. I'd be interested in seeing if the QC issues in their entire range (work to dress lines) have been experiencing QC issues, and how long have they've been there.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am a critic of Alden QC. On that point I agree with the OP. That said, we should move on. There is private messaging for forum members who wish to discuss the appearance of Alden factory workers and the appropriateness of Alden factory restrooms.

+1 guys, don't feed the troll.

thromb

Reaction score
Avid reader and infrequent poster here on the thread. Definitely enjoy reading about and seeing the Alden's in your collections.

I wanted to share some pictures of my black alpine grain LWB that I received from Alden of Carmel yesterday. My Alden purchases have almost exclusively been shell so this pair of alpine grain is expanding my horizons a bit. I really like the pebble grain texture.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Avid reader and infrequent poster here on the thread. Definitely enjoy reading about and seeing the Alden's in your collections.

I wanted to share some pictures of my black alpine grain LWB that I received from Alden of Carmel yesterday. My Alden purchases have almost exclusively been shell so this pair of alpine grain is expanding my horizons a bit. I really like the pebble grain texture.

Great looking shoes! Congrats on the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads