• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think it is feasible for the retailers to inspect every shoe that comes into their store. My father was a shoe salesman, and I spent a lot of time in his back room running stock and taking in shipments as a kid. Thinking back, I just can't imagine checking every incoming shoe in detail, even at 3x the price and (for the sake of argument) 1/3 the volume. It is far more efficient for retailers to deal with defects by replacing the defective product when a customer finds one. I have no objection to them choosing to operate in this fashion, as long as they stand behind the product, which as far as I know they generally do.
As someone suggested above, it is unfair for us to make statistical inferences about defect rates based on complaints on this board. We would need to observe the complete set of defect-free shoes that everyone here purchases as well, and of course we don't.

Exactly. It's just that Alden is being anal about replacing

ecox

Reaction score

I'm wearing black shell LWB (Grant) today and they are missing the perforation on the right side of both shoes in the same spot. It's likely to position the pieces of the shoe during construction, not a QA/QC mistake. Who knows, it may have some other meaning to it altogether. Alden might have some more info about it if you call them and ask about it.

Ok, you've got me curious. Where's the missing perforation?

-Erik

seer

Reaction score
6 year old indy boot on honey vibram.

the indy boot is such a classic style, I wear it with jeans and to work no problem.

They look great - my first pair of Indy boots will be here tomorrow. How did you get rid of/color the white stitching? I need to do that...

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question; are whiskey cordovan boots really rare or do they just not look that good? I rarely see make ups of those.

Whiskey seems to be the most limited in general. For example not even Mac has a pair of whiskey tassels, which I would love to get my hands on. The only "boots" i have seen with whiskey are tankers (leffot had them) and chukka boots.

EDIT - I forgot the plentiful number of whiskey indy boots out there.

Last edited:

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After gawking at the pics, I am looking to make the plunge for a pair of cordovan LWB #8 in size 10E. What is the best place to order them?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Whiskey Indys. I'm pretty sure mac has a pair too.
indy001.jpg

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Whiskey seems to be the most limited in general. For example not even Mac has a pair of whiskey tassels, which I would love to get my hands on. The only "boots" i have seen with whiskey are tankers (leffot had them) and chukka boots.

also, i would like a whiskey tassel. there are whiskey indy

wrinklefree

Reaction score

After gawking at the pics, I am looking to make the plunge for a pair of cordovan LWB #8 in size 10E. What is the best place to order them?

SF Alden and Shoemart should have 10e's stocked for #8 LWB. Also the DC, NY Alden might have them. There should be several retail options. I guess depending on where you live you can get out of the sales tax.

wrinklefree

Reaction score

The problem is that the stores know.
I was at the Alden SF store looking at Ravello chukkas once. They pulled one out for me to look at. The shoe had an undyed spot on the toe the size of a dime. I mentioned to the salesman that in my opinion the shoe should be a second. He said "yeah maybe, but someone will buy it..." Sadly, he's correct.

My belief is that this is also the policy of the Shoemart. They will ship everything out as "new" first. Maybe if they get 1-2 returns then they put it on their seconds list. Last year I received color 8 PTB from Shoemart with specks of gold paint on the right top of the toe box. Very visible even from standing. Did not have any issue returning them to Shoemart but it's annoying that it was knowingly shipped like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads