• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlieu
What exactly is the #4 leather?
The rarest shade of cordovan. It is half as dark as the beloved #8.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
The rarest shade of cordovan. It is half as dark as the beloved #8.

IMAG0381.jpg

#4 on the Left ; Ravello on the right.

Morgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Is it me or some models feel different than others, even though they're on the same last? Wore my Winn Perry's for the first time today and they feel a bit more snug than my other Aldens that are also on Barrie.

What model did you get? I had to exchange my reverse chamois boots from Winn Perry because, even though they were on the Barrie last, they felt true to size instead of half a size large. I own two other pairs of Barrie-lasted shoes, both 8.5D, in both suede and cordovan, so the material isn't the issue. The Winn Perry boots in 8.5 were really tight on me, like a true 8.5 (I am a standard 9D on the Brannock device). I sent them back and got a pair in 9D, and they fit great. Really weird. Maybe you should let them know, because they told me I was the first person to complain about sizing.

tlieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Is it me or some models feel different than others, even though they're on the same last? Wore my Winn Perry's for the first time today and they feel a bit more snug than my other Aldens that are also on Barrie.

What leather are your Aldens on the Barrie last? If it's Cordovan than it will feel slightly looser.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What leather are your Aldens on the Barrie last? If it's Cordovan than it will feel slightly looser.

MY JCrew calf LWBs were TTS while the Cordovan ones are the .5 size larger than marked. Is this standard with the Barrie?

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
johnnyrich7 - great shoes. I'm wearing my ravello captoe boots today, and ravello longwings are on the ever-changing, ever-growing list of shoes to someday own.

Thanks Morgan. I was incredibly happy and lucky to come across them. I have only seen them made once in the last few years, which I think was by leffot or epaulet.

I think the ravello captoes are great boots, and very difficult to find.

tlieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
MY JCrew calf LWBs were TTS while the Cordovan ones are the .5 size larger than marked. Is this standard with the Barrie?

From What I understand, whatever shoe last is made out of calf skin than your shoe will feel a little bit more snug than cordovan because calf skin shrinks a little when the shoe last is taken out at the factory.
I can see the the logic in this because I own the Natural Chromexcel and Whiskey Cordovan LWB both in a size 8D and the reverse welt on the Natural Chromexcel shows signs of the leather strip coming off the glue due to shrinkage.

monologuist

Reaction score
Does this appear to be a dark tan rather than a reddish brown on anyone else's monitor? How does Snuff Suede appear in reality? The pics on Leffot right now look extremely reddish and a bit darker than, say, the pics on Epaulette or LS....

Originally Posted by shasta
Snuff Suede Strongwings - from Leffot

photo.jpg

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my Aldens are on the Barrie last, except for the Indy's which are on a TruBalance and my #8 cap toe which are on a Grant.

The leather on the Winn Perry is pebble grain calf. It's the same leather I have on a dark brown wing tip boot, on the Barrie last as well...but those feel fine.

The only thing that is different is that the Winn Perry has a waterlock sole.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
What model did you get? I had to exchange my reverse chamois boots from Winn Perry because, even though they were on the Barrie last, they felt true to size instead of half a size large. I own two other pairs of Barrie-lasted shoes, both 8.5D, in both suede and cordovan, so the material isn't the issue. The Winn Perry boots in 8.5 were really tight on me, like a true 8.5 (I am a standard 9D on the Brannock device). I sent them back and got a pair in 9D, and they fit great. Really weird. Maybe you should let them know, because they told me I was the first person to complain about sizing.
Interesting. Will give them a call tomorrow. Going to go home and compare them with the other Barrie lasts first. I already wore them so I doubt they can be returned.

I had a similar issue with Shoemart. I mentioned the incident several times in this thread already. Bought a pair of shoes advertised as Barrie last, but fit small and were significantly shorter than my Barrie last Aldens when compared.

lummers13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Most of my Aldens are on the Barrie last, except for the Indy's which are on a TruBalance and my #8 cap toe which are on a Grant.

The leather on the Winn Perry is pebble grain calf. It's the same leather I have on a dark brown wing tip boot, on the Barrie last as well...but those feel fine.

The only thing that is different is that the Winn Perry has a waterlock sole.

How's the Grant last compare to the Barrie last?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lummers13
How's the Grant last compare to the Barrie last?
Normal size so size up .5 from Barrie/TruBalance/Modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads