***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Finally some sunshine, albeit still cool. Made me want to wear suede today

[​IMG]

2. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Random question -- what are people's thoughts on shell boots for dancing? I'm going to a wedding tomorrow, and was considering wearing some ravello wingtip boots. Thoughts? Will the shell be OK?

3. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Random question -- what are people's thoughts on shell boots for dancing? I'm going to a wedding tomorrow, and was considering wearing some ravello wingtip boots. Thoughts? Will the shell be OK?

Depends on the last - Barrie? NFW Plaza? Good

4. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

As opposed to what?

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Just curious to know if anyone here owns shoes of a higher quality than Alden? Perhaps EG? If so, how does the quality compare? Some of the MC folks stated that the difference is quite noticeable, but I would like to know if anyone here personally has any inputs.

You don't need to go to the EG level to find quality higher than Alden. My C&J shells are nicer than my Alden shells.

6. wj4

wj4 Senior member

You don't need to go to the EG level to find quality higher than Alden. My C&J shells are nicer than my Alden shells.

I will most likely try CJ soon. I thought about Tricker's, but upon trying on a pair...that was just not my thing. EG is too MC for me. I don't like the overall last/appeal.

7. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I will most likely try CJ soon. I thought about Tricker's, but upon trying on a pair...that was just not my thing. EG is too MC for me. I don't like the overall last/appeal.

I enjoy my C&J shells on the 325 last very much. I would suggest you take a look.

8. 925

925 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ravello lwb
    argyles otc

this made me want to order a pair right now [​IMG]

9. etseq

etseq Senior member

I posted this is WTB, but if anyone has a pair of plaza wingtip boots in black in size 10D that they want to part with, let me know.

10. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Finally some nice spring weather for whiskey:
    Outstanding Chris! The NST looks great in whiskey.

11. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

So, I decided to get a pair of boots.
    Thanks to LS for their help, what a great bunch of guys over there.

My fist pair of Alden boots, hopefully not my last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and as you can see, the dog approves of these [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice purchase! Are these the 403 CXL Indy's?

12. Kevk

Kevk Well-Known Member

Just curious to know if anyone here owns shoes of a higher quality than Alden? Perhaps EG? If so, how does the quality compare? Some of the MC folks stated that the difference is quite noticeable, but I would like to know if anyone here personally has any inputs.

The biggest difference I notice between my EG's and Aldens is in the stitching. EG uses more stitches per inch and is finished a lot cleaner (no loose ends). FYI, I have a pair of vintage shell Florsheim imperials that have nicer stiching than on my C&J's or my Alden shells.

13. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

The biggest difference I notice between my EG's and Aldens is in the stitching. EG uses more stitches per inch and is finished a lot cleaner (no loose ends). FYI, I have a pair of vintage shell Florsheim imperials that have nicer stiching than on my C&J's or my Alden shells.

EG: More stitches that are more accurately placed; better quality leather (shell aside); sleeker lasts; better sole, edge and heel treatment; classically British designs; lousy customer service, redonculous MTO upcharge and limited availability in the US.

Alden: classic Americana; sloppy welt stitching; good mid-level leathers (shell aside); broad availability; long ass wait times for MTO and special orders; wide range of lasts available; significant QA issues appearing more and more frequently.

The upper end of Alden's pricing is converging on the lower end of EG's.

A better comparison for Alden is probably Vass - again, the upper end of Alden's prices are pretty close to the lower end of Vass', and Vass is lightyears ahead of Alden with respect to quality.

14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

A better comparison for Alden is probably Vass - again, the upper end of Alden's prices are pretty close to the lower end of Vass', and Vass is lightyears ahead of Alden with respect to quality.

I agree with this, but Vass has absolutely zero distribution channel in the US. I'd love to get a pair, but I simply can't "guess and buy" shoes for my hard to fit feet.

15. srivats

srivats Senior member

I just listed a bunch of alden shells for sale here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=4418245 Hope I am not spamming the thread with this. If anyone is interested, please PM me. I have a bunch of other aldens (PTBs, LWBs and indys) that I will be listing later today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.