• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profligate47

Reaction score

SOO Many great contributions this week! I would LOVE to individually quote every one of them and express how awesome they all are, but my time doesn't allow me to unfortunately...

My favorites were the pics of the dog face and Aldens, the Zippy crazy collection, and all of the LWBs of course! :)

@smoothie1
 the Ravello Cap Toe Boots on the Plaza Last were made for a small shoe store in Scandanavia called Asbjorn Dagestad. They are not too interested in shipping to the US and only do E widths.

Hope that all had a fantastic week!!! :)

-Mike

Thanks Mike. Your posts and photos are great. That puppy and those snuff puppies are mine.
Here are my Ravellos once again. I really love the color as it is aging:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Your welcome and thanks! Your Ravellos are maturing nicely. I was wondering how the 2013 Brownvello was going to patina. I sold my last pair of 2013 Brownvello about 2 months ago when I sold my pair of the Alden DC Medallion CT Bluchers.

-M

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I've posted less these days as I've been selling more than buying. However it's not a shift away from Alden - just some rationalization. Here are my latest thoughts

- I get more use out of traditional color 8 / black models than special make ups. I'm in a suit Mon-Thurs and business casual Friday. Honestly most cordovan bluchers / boots aren't ideal for me for the Mon-Thurs wear. I long underinvested in formal black / color 8 models. Mac and sevenfoldtie have long said Alden's best models are the classic ones in black and color 8, and they are right. I have a color 8 lhs and a black bal punch captoe - I will buy two more work shoes in black and color 8. Maybe three

- In spring and summer, I almost never wear cordovan on weekends. I'm in suede or CXL loafers. So for half the year, I basically don't wear cordovan bluchers

Given these two, I don't really need a lot of what Alden does best - cordovan bluchers. I have a color 8 PTB and an RL Marlow - basically all I need. I need two or three pair of boots for fall, and that's it. For spring and summer, I need my suede and CXL loafers.

So for me, ideal Alden collection:
4 dress cordovan shoes
2-3 CXL / suede shoes for summer
2-3 boots for fall / winter
2-3 Friday shoes - all year

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Alcibiades,

Mac and 7fold are both absolutely correct with their advice. Black and Color 8 are most definitely the best colors bar none for suit wearers. Color 8 is also the most versatile of all of the colors Alden produces. The exotics are fun, especially on a business casual day. As a San Diegan, I personally can get away with a lot. Even in suits as not many people here ever wear suits and so I can stretch the rules.

Your collection logic definitely makes a ton of sense to me. Especially if in a climate that requires boots in the fall/winter.

-Mike

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has been said before, but finding an evenly dyed, smooth, blemish free, and not too dark shade of Alden Color #8 shell is something of a rarity these days.

I sincerely believe the hubbub over rare shell colors would diminish if they were widely available. Those clever Devils at Alden have clearly bolstered their market by limiting supply.

Color #8 and black shell alone will form a solid and respectable business shoe wardrobe @Alcibiades.

Last edited:

skeptical jesus

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on how to get a pair of ravello daytrippers? Looking for a pair of ravello captoe boots, grant or plaza last. Where can I put my name on a waiting list?

grizzlygiant

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this Indy Boot.
I'm quite intrigued about it but curious as to how it would age. Anyone have experience with this boot or this kind of leather? Any thoughts in general?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Anyone know anything about this Indy Boot.
I'm quite intrigued about it but curious as to how it would age. Anyone have experience with this boot or this kind of leather? Any thoughts in general?
Hmmm. Never heard of that before so I don't have an answer. Quite interested in learning more, though.

postal007

Reaction score

Anyone have any recommendations on how to get a pair of ravello daytrippers? Looking for a pair of ravello captoe boots, grant or plaza last. Where can I put my name on a waiting list?

You can call Alden DC at (202) 347-2308 and talk to Kathy. She'll put your name on the waiting list. The last one came out a couple months ago so it might be awhile, but at least you'll be on the list.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Somebody on this forum may be willing to sell you their pair of ravello daytrippers if you honor your asking price in your signture...

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
leffot offers a similar version once a year or so, but then you're stuck waiting another 6+ months for delivery.

With an assumed Alden price increase at the beginning of the year.. if Bureau has your size, I'd just grab them so you can have them in your hands
what is the approximate amount of the typical annual Alden price increase?

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't know of one. Most alden retailers have a stock composed of both stock and custom make ups. Its a matter of knowing which stores carry more of one than the other. You will probably have to spend time browsing each site to get an idea of the stock. Look for "Alden x *retailer name here* " assigned to the name of the model. The list previously posted from Alden of San Diego is a great place to start looking.
ok sounds good - thanks!

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*Gents - posting this in a few places as it might interest folks in various threads, so forgive me for the cross-posting)*

I've been on a bit of a "shell kick" lately. I've tried to collect as much of the spectrum of shells that Horween offers as is feasible (and reasonable). I decided this afternoon to take out my shell shoes and boots and take a few photos. Perhaps this will help those of you who are interested in the various colors of shell, and to see the differences between them.

Using the first photo as a reference, here are the models/colors:

Top row (left to right):

• Black shell - Alden Plain Toe Boot, leather sole - 379X last (TheShoeMart irregulars)
  • Navy shell - Allen Edmonds Dundee, Dainite sole - 511 last (MTO, trunk show)
  • Color #8 shell - Alden Wingtip Boot, leather sole - Barrie last (Alden DC)
  • Cigar shell - Alden Cap Toe Boot, leather sole - Barrie last (Alden of Madison)
  • Dark Cognac shell (called "Brown" by AE) - Allen Edmonds Strand, JR sole - 65 last (Altman's in Chicago)
  • Walnut shell - Allen Edmonds Dalton, JR sole - 511 last (MTO)

Bottom row (right to left):

• Ravello shell - Alden Longwing Blucher, leather sole - Barrie last (Leffot)
  • Cognac shell - Carmina 922, leather sole - Rain last (Carmina direct)
  • Whiskey shell - Alden Plain Toe Blucher, leather sole - Barrie last (Alden SF)
  • Natural shell - Allen Edmonds MacNeil, JR sole - 97 last (MTO, trunk show)
  • Color #2 shell (called "Rubi" by Carmina) - Carmina 80105, JR sole - Simpson last (Carmina direct)

As you can see, some colors overlap quite a lot (like Walnut/Ravello and Whiskey/Cognac), while others are very different. I have a few other pairs of shell shoes, but they're the same color (another Alden LWB in Ravello, and an AE Cambridge in Color #8), so I didn't add them to this lineup.

At this point, I'm pretty satisfied with the collection. I'm thinking to perhaps replace the Cigar captoe boot with a Cigar LWB, and to acquire a Carmina derby in green shell. If AE does another trunk show, I might try to get another color that I don't have, but for now I'm pretty well satisfied.

Anyway, hope this color comparison is useful to some of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members