• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mdubs

Where did you get those laces? My 27" Benjos are way too short for my 5 eyelet suede Dovers.

I think that color would work with snuff suede as well.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

So looking at pictures...

• Older cigar looks like newer ravello.
  • New cigar is so dark it's closer to color 8.
  • Old ravello was more "red" and closer to Color 4.
  • Color 4 is probably never going to happen again or very rarerly.
  • Newer Color 8 is either super dark or occasionally "purple-ish" like the Jcrew PCT boot / older Color 8 is like this too.

Am I getting this right?

That is pretty close.

Old Ravello and Color #4 are still uniquely different. I am not quite sure how to explain it, but some old Ravello did have more of a reddish orange hue to it that it doesn't have in some of the latest batches. Newer Ravello is seeming to have more of a golden orange undertone to it to me than the reddish orange it used to have.

Old Cigar traditionally had more Olive undertones to it, that brand new New Cigar does not shoe.

Colors do change batch to batch.

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

@mdubs

Where did you get those laces? My 27" Benjos are way too short for my 5 eyelet suede Dovers.

They came with the shoes. Let me see if I can find out where the laces were sourced for you. I would probably get 32" laces for the 5-eyelet Blutcher.

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

@mdubs

The seller already responded. They are from Benjo as well. I can measure them if you need the length. Alden's standard lace is 30" if my memory serves me properly.

intensanity

Reaction score
Does anyone here have the #4 NST Boot? Curious what they look like outside of promo pics.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FYI gents, if you're looking for a good comparison photo of the two shells:

Ravello looks superb. They all do.

Great lineup. I assume this is cigar --> ravello --> whiskey? And is this "old" ravello?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Where have you seen a promo pic for that?

30b9e300_vbattach49777.jpg

153284ef_vbattach49812.jpg

244b08f1_vbattach49813.jpg

76527c50_vbattach49814.jpg

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's old Ravello. I pulled pics from another thread.

Am I correct that the JCrew waxed tobacco looks similar in shade to Ravello?

movoblast

Reaction score
Man the old ravellos are nice. It looks a lot more vibrant to me. The new ravellos look nice too and I'm in for a pair, but the color looks a little duller to me. I wonder why its shifting towards a duller, darker color. If it was a batch to batch discrepancy, wouldn't Alden try to fix it after the first batch that came out like that? Do you think they are doing this to mask the imperfections in the shell?

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man the old ravellos are nice. It looks a lot more vibrant to me. The new ravellos look nice too and I'm in for a pair, but the color looks a little duller to me. I wonder why its shifting towards a duller, darker color. If it was a batch to batch discrepancy, wouldn't Alden try to fix it after the first batch that came out like that? Do you think they are doing this to mask the imperfections in the shell?

definitely

movoblast

Reaction score
Man I'm still undecided if I want both cigar and ravello LWB's from looking at this pic. I can definitely justify purchasing both the cigar and the old ravello, because the old ravello is more of a warm 70:30 , brown:eek:range mixture. But I can't help but think that the cigars will eventually end up lightening up to a very similar shade as the new ravello, after a half year to a year of wear, making it redundant to own both. It looks like there's practically no orange/red undertone.

Last edited:

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Man I'm still undecided if I want both cigar and ravello LWB's from looking at this pic. I can definitely justify purchasing both the cigar and the old  ravello, because the old ravello is more of a warm 70:30 , brown:eek:range mixture. But I can't help but think that the cigars will eventually end up lightening up to a very similar shade as the new ravello, after a half year to a year of wear, making it redundant to own both. It looks like there's practically no orange/red undertone.

I'm in the same situation. I do wonder how "new ravello" will age, however. Lighten? Darken?

Last edited:

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought about picking the ravello lwb up but realistically they probably would not get much wear. I have four orders out already, decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads