• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice!

Made up my mind (I think)

1) Waxed tobacco LWB
2) Color 8 Naval (Leffot)
3) Jasper Dover, color 8
4) 975
5) snuff suede (?)

That should give me a good spread.
Given your appreciation :) An indoor shot, showing the antique edge (love the "wood" tones)...
ajujy3aq.jpg
Grazie!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ReppTiePrepster

I think mdubs answered you question - but there is no "mid tan Antique" per se - what Burzan figured out is, when a reseller tells us a shoe has a "light antique" or "light brown antique" edge (they are the same) - Alden themselves refer to this edge as "Mid Tan"

Or at least that's my interpretation of the info

Cheers
BN

Here is my best guess of what the upcoming AOC cigar LWB will look like based on the info we have. I do think the cigar will be even darker though because most of what we have seen recently reflects that.

Quote: I think that this is correct too. Tough to be 100% though I guess
I get where you both are going. And I think we are all hovering around the same idea... Unless Alden publishes the different options they have for edge-finish, we really can't tell for sure. To me, Burzan's pic of the Cigar LWB is no "lighter" than my natural chromexcel with what mdubs identified as medium or mid-tan. If the Whiskey LWB comes in the light antique, convince me that this edge is lighter than the ones we've just looked at...
whiskey LWB form Tassels

That looks like the same mid-tan on my Natty Chrmxl LWB... same with Burzan's pic of the Cigars

Oh well, maybe it's just my untrained eye, I donna know... Didn't mean to waste anyone's time. Sorry...

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I get where you both are going. And I think we are all hovering around the same idea... Unless Alden publishes the different options they have for edge-finish, we really can't tell for sure. To me, Burzan's pic of the Cigar LWB is no "lighter" than my natural chromexcel with what mdubs identified as medium or mid-tan. If the Whiskey LWB comes in the light antique, convince me that this edge is lighter than the ones we've just looked at... whiskey LWB form Tassels That looks like the same mid-tan on my Natty Chrmxl LWB... same with Burzan's pic of the Cigars Oh well, maybe it's just my untrained eye, I donna know... Didn't mean to waste anyone's time. Sorry...
RTP, those look like medium antique to me. The "standard" Whiskey LWB has been on light antique. Out to lunch right now, but I will try and take a photo for you soon. RTP, I am with you though. There is no doctrine that I can quote. I am just working off of what I have learned from talking to all the different retailers. I could have been given bad information though! :) -Mike

Last edited:

TommyB

Reaction score
First Alden DC is planning (a small run of) ravello LWBs and now Alden-of-Carmel. Surely next in line must be ravello NST boots?! Oh well, one can always dream.

gstephen70

Reaction score
This may have already been mentioned, but I just came across it myself. Tassel Moc in Dark Brown CXL from Harrison Limited.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

did some weekend mac method on my pair of Brixtons that desperately needed some TLC. These are about 3 years old now (I think) and I've worn them at least once per week since I bought them. After some quick brushing and buffing, they look (almost) good as new. Clear examples here of why #8 is still king:

This was a great make-up. I slept on it twice, and have been waiting for it to come around again. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eight Day Trip to Europe

My shoe selection for a short trip to Northern Spain where is still rains quite a bit...

One shoe brush, Saphir Dubbin Grasse, Saphip Marron Cordovan Creme, MF buffing cloths...

Cheers,
BN

BN,
Enjoy your trip, I'm envious! Good footwear choices. I love Spain and happen to work for a Barcelona based company. I wish I had more opportunity to visit. My wife and I went to Barcelona a couple of times now. Enjoy the jamon iberico de bellota. I can't get enough of it.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Fills both ends of the spectrum, I think that is good for two pairs.

I would probably do the same. It would be a debate for on swapping the #8 for cigar but that is a tough call. I wear jeans a lot and think the cigar works better, unless of course its the leffot #8 like yours.

That is a tough call, but from 3 feet away I couldn't tell the last batch of cigar from color8...

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RTP, those look like medium antique to me. The "standard" Whiskey LWB has been on light antique. Out to lunch right now, but I will try and take a photo for you soon.

RTP, I am with you though. There is no doctrine that I can quote. I am just working off of what I have learned from talking to all the different retailers. I could have been given bad information though! :)

-Mike
Hey Mike,
Thanks for all of the feedback. You don't need to go to the trouble. I think I've beat this topic over the head a few times already.

Hope y'all are enjoying the weekend...

gosheik

Reaction score

Here is my best guess of what the upcoming AOC cigar LWB will look like based on the info we have. I do think the cigar will be even darker though because most of what we have seen recently reflects that.

Quote:I think that this is correct too. Tough to be 100% though I guess
This is the official description from AoC: "Cigar longwing, Barrie last, double leather sole, 5 invisible eyelets, pre-stitched reverse welt, 'mid-tan' (light brown) sole edge trim" I pulled the trigger, anyone else?

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the official description from AoC:

"Cigar longwing, Barrie last, double leather sole, 5 invisible eyelets,
pre-stitched reverse welt, 'mid-tan' (light brown) sole edge trim"

I pulled the trigger, anyone else?
Congrats! Where did you see this. I wasn't able to find it on the website. Hope you don't have to wait to o long!

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the official description from AoC:

"Cigar longwing, Barrie last, double leather sole, 5 invisible eyelets,
pre-stitched reverse welt, 'mid-tan' (light brown) sole edge trim"

I pulled the trigger, anyone else?

I really debated but decided to pass. I just bought a few things from AE so my wallet was begging me not to plus I do want cigar but I think it is going to be too light of a trim for my liking.

When the time comes I am likely only going to buy one dark LWB and I will be between these two:

or
Cigar LWB (dark antique edge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads