• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Ha, that sounds like it might be true with Alden's as well as in life...........my pragmatism failed me at that moment, I was thinking I would not get much wear out of the Whiskey LWB

I understand the pragmatic choice. I don't hoard/fetishize Alden shoes as much as many here, and I only have one pair in whiskey- a LHS. When I purchased them years ago, it was sort of an impulse buy. I can say, however, the whiskey color has improved with age, placing the shoes among my favorites.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little off subject here, but I was thinking of how easy it would be to be able to do a 3d scan of someone's feet and use a 3d printer to print a last.
I wonder when custom/bespoke shoemaking will come to that.

It seems like a no brainer for last designing for custom shoes.
Or.. even to get a better fit/sizing on existing lasts.
Food for thought...

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

A little off subject here, but I was thinking of how easy it would be to be able to do a 3d scan of someone's feet and use a 3d printer to print a last.
I wonder when custom/bespoke shoemaking will come to that.

It seems like a no brainer for last designing for custom shoes.
Or.. even to get a better fit/sizing on existing lasts.
Food for thought...

I have thought of that before, haha. Emailing my 3D foot to a shoemaker and asking "what size would I be in xyz last?" LOL.
I was thinking the other day of how accurately I'd be able to take some measurements and asking the same...

With enough measurements I could probably just solid model my feet!

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have thought of that before, haha. Emailing my 3D foot to a shoemaker and asking "what size would I be in xyz last?" LOL.
I was thinking the other day of how accurately I'd be able to take some measurements and asking the same...

With enough measurements I could probably just solid model my feet!
I knew you'd appreciate, tif.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I knew you'd appreciate, tif.

I did come across a PDF somewhere that showed some basic foot measurements to take for bespoke shoes. Now I just have to see if my wife will help me...hahahaha.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thought I would update the forum:

I sent the hybrid "Cigarello" PTB's back to Alden earlier this week along with a letter explaining the situation (bought as 2nd's, my desire to have them matched etc.), and a print out of my communication with Brenda. This morning I received a nice email from Arthur Tarlow explaining that if I were to assume the risk and not hold them responsible for the outcome, Alden would attempt to slightly darken the lighter left shoe to match the darker right one. Arthur's exact words on the matter were, "We have found a very low success rate in trying to match colors in refinishing". Cost is $55.

As my size is so difficult to get hold of, and I have no idea when I might be able to get my hands on this model in a rare shell again I have accepted, but I have made it very clear that I do not want anything close to #8.

I guess we'll see what happens, but of course I'm hoping that Alden come through and perform a miracle.

right shoe comes back even darker!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thanks! And I'm assuming if I pay attention to this thread I'll be able to get on any subsequent preorders? Haha

Eh, I wouldn't exactly count on that. Your best bet is to call around from time to time. It's typically too late for popular sizes once you see it on here.

thromb

Reaction score

Late November or early December if I remember correctly.

Yes that's about right, at least early December was when I placed my order for whiskey.

I went back and forth for a week or so and finally made the call. Was pleasantly surprised they still had a slot available in my size :D

Last edited:

zennypoo

Reaction score
:facepalm:

I would have asked for both if I knew about preorder. Do they usually advertise these or they are more of word of mouth? And do they usually add odd, nonstandard, sizes?

Yes that's about right, at least early December was when I placed my order for whiskey.

I went back and forth for a week or so and finally made the call. Was pleasantly surprised they still had a slot available in my size :D

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

:facepalm:

I would have asked for both if I knew about preorder. Do they usually advertise these or they are more of word of mouth? And do they usually add odd, nonstandard, sizes?

Completely word of mouth. Sizes usually depends on retailer I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads