• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello day for me today.

Stunning color on those!

shaunw

Reaction score

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Forgive the terrible iPhone photos in low indoor lighting, but I wanted to share these before/after pictures before I wear them out tomorrow. I recently had my natural chromexcel plain toe boot resoled by B. Nelson (at the recommendation of this thread), converting leather soles to dainite. I have to say, I think they did a wonderful job and quite quickly too! I've had these boots for almost two years now and have easily worn them 75% of those days. They've taken a beating. I shouldn't have been surprised, but a few weeks ago I noticed that the soles were starting to mold. I immediately sent them off and thought it was a perfect opportunity to convert to brick colored dainite soles, something I've been wanting to do for a while.
Oh, and the free laces were a nice touch!
This is great stuff. I've always wondered when it is the right time to send a pair in for resoling. Would these pictures be a good indicator of that? I've heard you should consider when the sole becomes 'soft' due to thinning out, but personally not sure what that really means. Thanks in advance.

gentfarmer

Reaction score
Esoxm,

Looks to me like some one sent them to Whites Boots for a resole and made them into a packer style heel.

Last edited:

vestbash

Reaction score
This is great stuff. I've always wondered when it is the right time to send a pair in for resoling. Would these pictures be a good indicator of that? I've heard you should consider when the sole becomes 'soft' due to thinning out, but personally not sure what that really means. Thanks in advance.
He actually went a bit too far in regards to the heels. He had already worn through the toplift and into the stacked leather heel. Heels can normally be replaced quite easily but the heel needed to be partially rebuilt in this case. A resole is necessary just before the outsole has developed a hole to prevent moisture and particulates from entering into the cavity that is filled by the cork layer. That is what is meant by "when the sole becomes soft". Generally speaking you can tell when a leather or rubber outsole has worn thin because you can use your thumbs to apply pressure to outsole in the areas that are worn thin and you be able to feel the sponginess of the cork layer.

Last edited:

Johnny5

Reaction score
Anyone with the same issue on the loose stitch? I have clocked less than 20 wears on them.. is this normal?

And is it fine to use Saphir Cordovan Neutral Cream for #8 shell? Heard that it is best not to use neutral?

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Saphir Neutral Cordovan Cream with good results on brown cordovan (Alden cigar and Ralph Lauren), but you need to do a lot of brushing/buffing, particularly in any creases. I would recommend Saphir's "Cordovan" Cordovan cream over Neutral for Color 8. I'd also recommend a Reno / Color 8 Paste Wax combo for Color 8 over the Neutral Cream.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nope. Tobacco Chamois LWb's from Leffot. Looks like there is a pre-order going currently with a few sizes left

http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/pre-orders/97862c-pre-order.html
R-fan, I never would have thought I would care much for the Tobacco Chamois, but this is an excellent looking "beater" shoe. I don't care too much for that characterization, but I want a LWB with some versatility that I can wear often in good and sloppy weather. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on some natty chrmxl LWBs but I have paused to reconsider after seeing your pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads