1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

It is. It's something that my Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lens is disclosing that you can't really see with the naked eye. Also, the reverse chamois looks more even-toned in real life, where these pics make it look more uneven than it appears to the eye. But ... hopefully it will soak all of the snuff suede and will no longer be noticeable at all!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

Well my return last year allowed this purchase just delivered today.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

I love these too. However, i couldn't look past how the oils of the chamois leather are bleeding into the snuff suede.

Edit: sorry this has already been discussed...

4. breck81

breck81 Senior member

I would imagine as the days pass, those oils will recede. For me personally, i bought them for the fact they were heavily oiled. I live in a ski town so we get tons of precipitation. Be it 600 inches of snow or rain in the shoulder seasons. I had considered a chamois ptb, but thought the suede and saddle pattern broke up the monotony.

Its all relative what one likes and/or finds as a great feature. Heavily oiled and less monotonous than a ptb...I jumped on them. The folks at Frans said there were only 24 made total. Couldn't pass it up.

5. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Umm, yeah, not to derail the thread but that's not going to work in many many cases.

6. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thanks for the kind words gentlemen.
    the pants are walts from epaulet. golden twill factory finds from last year.

7. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

[​IMG]
    lovely saddles

8. thomasshawn

thomasshawn Active Member

These are really nice. Congrats!

9. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I seem to recall a rank order of leather types and how much each expands/gives discussed here. Correct me if this is wrong:

CXL=very stretchy/expansive
    calf=less stretchy
    suede=even less stretchy
    shell=not very stretchy at all

10. Perception.

Perception. Well-Known Member

Anybody wear insoles with their Indy Boots? I wore mine today for about 8 hrs and my feet hurt :(

11. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

I noticed the same foot pain when wearing my CXL Indy's with a commando sole for extended periods, so now I use a thin insole. I've never had a problem with my double-soled shell cordovans in that regard. I can really feel the pavement when wearing my commando soled Indy's. When I resole I'll be getting either cork original Indy sole or go double leather.

12. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

I remember when I bought my 405 Indys. The soles of my feet hurt quite badly for the first 10 or 15 wears. The fit was great all around out of the box but simply hurt when I walked around for extended periods of time. It felt like walking barefoot on a boulder. I never tried insoles but experimented with different socks.

After a while, they became increasingly comfortable with every wear. Today (10 years and hundreds of miles later) they are the single most comfortable pair of Alden boots that I own.

13. BeSpiffington

Thanks ironclad for the reassuring message. I assume you've got neo-cork in your 405's. I wore my Indy's a lot at first and noticed that the commando soles broke down fairly fast, that might be because I walk a couple miles a day.

14. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

Be, They are on neo-cork. When you say your commandos "broke down", do you mean deteriorated? I have a few pair of boots on commando that see regular use, like my Cigar Indys, and those soles remain in excellent condition.

15. BeSpiffington

When I say broke down it was an over statement. The sole started to separate at the toe. Full disclosure here is that I actually wore my cxl Indy's to work, which is a bit more wearing than going to Starbucks. Now I've done it. All the vente' mocha latte' with an extra shot of expresso drinkers heads are going to explode.

16. mavrick465

mavrick465 Member

I don't post here very much but thought I would share this pair of CXL Wingtips on the Plaza last that I picked up from Leathersoul after someone in this thread mentioned that they were having a Big Size Sale and got them at a discount. I have heard mixed reviews about dealing with Leathersoul but I had a very pleasant experience with their customer service and got a great deal because someone didn't come through on their size 12.5 preorder. This is my first pair on the Plaza last and it actually fits me better than Grant or Barrie, so thank you to whoever mentioned this sale on here! (Sorry for the bad phone pics)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  17. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

You did very well. Those Plaza Wingtips are absolute stunners!!!

18. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

All, you are all looking terrific!!! Hope that you all wore your Aldies in good health today! Congrats to resistance on your new Tankers. Definitely worth the wait! -Mike

19. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

Off with is head! A pox upon BeSpiff!!

I hear you. There is definitely a difference between heavy wear and simply wearing them for Styleforum photos. And I can imagine that Minnesota winters add an extra degree of punishment to whatever you wear.

20. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Wow....Looking really nice & those CXL boots go surprisingly well with the trousers!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.