• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you lace them securely from the start, you have a chance of having them form to your foot in a manner that doesn't shift. Once they start to slide to the side, it's probably creasing that's not (easily) reversible. At that point, you could have a cobbler stitch one side of the tongue to the upper. It's pretty simple for them to match it up to a stitch line already present on the outside of the boot. 

Disclaimer: This is not science, but my interpretation.

thanks a lot, i prefer no stitching, thought there was a simpler method...

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol... those are the one's i just returned. didn't like the leather too much. ended up getting their six eye cxl chukkas instead.
Nice...with the good NS sales, I've been watching a few models. With the bad weather this month, I could have used more cxl.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Type Awesome
Haha. That gave me a good chuckle.
Alden Color #8 "Indy" Boot on the Plaza Last.
Tis my first Alden boot (and implicitly my first Indy). I really like the lines on this boot on the Plaza last. It has the Commando sole, so this is my first time going Commando as well... -Mike
Ohhh. I like those.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alciabades, please check out the AoC black shell medallion toe boots. I want you to consider them because they don't have my size, and I think they're about the dressiest boot available without going to something like a John Lobb balmoral. Good hunting.

Thanks. Unfortunately 10E is unavailable in that boot...

aldenwear

Reaction score

Alciabades, please check out the AoC black shell medallion toe boots. I want you to consider them because they don't have my size, and I think they're about the dressiest boot available without going to something like a John Lobb balmoral. Good hunting.

Those boots are on the alden of caramel website, but they are sold by j gilbert. The Connecticut store that Iis a long - time alden dealer and that sells alden seconds now has a shoe in that same configuration. That store does not offer the shoe in "e" widths - at least not yet.

epc2

Reaction score

lol... those are the one's i just returned.  didn't like the leather too much.  ended up getting their six eye cxl chukkas instead.

Can you please post some pics of the Cxl Chukkas in the wild?

Thanks.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! That is an incredible shade

Ummmmm yea... Wow.

Pardon my French but, HOLY CRAP!

DAMN!! This is the one I like the best!

I can't even justify putting a spoiler on that.
I love the color in the sunlight.
Thanks again

Truer words have not been said here. MrDV, your Color 4's are looking awesome.

-Mike

What type of boots are MrDV's #4 boot?
As beebs and mdubs mentioned, cap toe on the barrie for the shoe mart. about 2 years ago.

Type Awesome
thanks, that was funny.

Mine might be just a little lighter. I like your shade better.
cheers.gif
great looking chukkas. the color is amazing. I remember a similar pair on ebay about a year ago. that auction got crazy.

Nice boots.
nod[1].gif
thanks again everyone for your kind words.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden Color #8 "Indy" Boot on the Plaza Last.

Tis my first Alden boot (and implicitly my first Indy). I really like the lines on this boot on the Plaza last. It has the Commando sole, so this is my first time going Commando as well...

-Mike
great boots Mike. it took me a while to get started on boots as well. maybe it is a so. California thing. plaza lasted boots look the best imo.

GooseG

Reaction score

great boots Mike. it took me a while to get started on boots as well. maybe it is a so. California thing. plaza lasted boots look the best imo.

Haha, maybe getting into boots first is an east coast thing?

As a Marylander, I find myself in boots almost all the time (although summer is brutal). I think a good compromise this year is to maybe get a pair of dressier boots to compliment my Rancourt/OSB/Indy trio.

GooseG

Reaction score

I was hoping someone could identify these for me. I picked them up in an 8.5 assuming they are similar to the Dovers which are built on the Barrie last. The sizing description on the site is a bit confusing although as long as it's the Barrie last I should be fine. http://tres-bien.com/brand/alden/plain-toe-unstructured-blucher-suede-dark-petro l
That's a suede dover, for sure. The majority of retailers who carry this model have it on the Barrie last..the only one I can think of that doesn't is NRO, and theirs are on Leydon. I don't have experience with the dover pattern, but some were saying that they felt a little more snug than a standard PTB. If you're wearing them for summer, chances are you'll be fine.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to plug another brand here, but do to the lack of availability, you may want to check out the Crocket & Jones for Ralph Lauren Gianni boot. It is of a similar color to Cigar (doesn't have the olive undertones of the old Cigar), but it is a sleeker Moc toe boot, somewhat halfway between the trubalance and plaza Indy boot. I will forwarn you that you will not get the same finish that you would get on an Alden boot.

I posted a number of pics here today: http://www.styleforum.net/t/268417/...-lindrick-mccallum-rhett/4440_10#post_6880184

Best of luck in your quest!

-Mike
I hate to burst your bubble, but the Gianni's are not available either. They are completely sold out... (great looking bot though)

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great color 8 plaza "Indy" boots. I would argue they are better described as "Plaza Moc Toe Boots" rather than Indy boots to me basically have to be in Trubalance (even Barrie is pushing it for Indy boots IMO).

Commando soles are great. I wore my color 8 wingtip boots on commando all day in the slushy conditions. Incredibly useful. I will continue my search for a black "dressy enough" commando option

I'm guessing you've seen these, but just in case...

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Shoes-Black_Medallion_Toe_Boot_319.htm

I think they even have your size available for the pre-order (9.5E).

[Edit] Oops, I forgot you were Barrie 9.5E I just saw that you were 10E in plaza. Sorry my friend...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics