• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, those look awesome. They didn't darken them severely which is reassuring that it's okay to let them play with Ravello.

-Mike

I was very happy with how Alden restored my ravello tassels

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We can return to the regularly scheduled programming of requoting the same pictures repeatedly in good health.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nephew,
Please go into more detail.

I don't have any photos with me, but I requested Alden restore the shoe without any "redyeing." The shoe returned with what looked to be a new glazing, new soles, etc. The color was preserved. I was worried that they may dye them much darker. Now my ravello tassels were of the very dark variety to begin with, but I was encouraged with how seamless the process went. Contact Alden, they send you a bag, you get shoes back 6 weeks later.

aldenwear

Reaction score
I understand what you're getting at. While the commandos generally make a shoe more casual, I think they are fairly low profile; enough to wear with a suit in snowy/wintery conditions. To each his own though...
I live in a snowy, icy climate that can lead to treacherous walking even when I must wear a suit (and they are conservative ones). Previously, in those times when I had to dress, I took my chances and slid around on Alden double leather soles.

i am not getting any younger, but am getting smarter: This Fall I bought a pair of cordovan shortwings with commando sole from Alden of Carmel to wear in the Winter when I must wear a suit. This Winter I have had the need to wear them more extensively than I would like and I am as sure-footed as a mountain goat in the Andes.

Being shortwings on the Leyden last, they look just fine with suits. While I would not choose to wear commando soled shoes with suits in normal conditions, I don't think it is any more obvious than with dainite soles and they certainly look more appropriate with suits than snow boots.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden Indy Boots, Natural CXL, Modified Last. Not that you can tell. These are LP'd and my feet were nice and dry! I highly recommend LP'ing CXL if you're going to wear it into weather, wetness, etc. Going to be too much snow later for the height of these boots though, so switching to my 10" Bean Boots.

coinopcollector

Reaction score

Commando soles w/ a suit is really pushing it IMO, though others may disagree.  Dainite makes sense, but that Commando heel is anything but sleek.

I do commando tankers and WT Boots all the time with suits and they look great. Better than the Kenneth Cole crap or Bostonian black bals most others wear. However, I prefer a substantial shoe and am not much for sleek european styling or balmorals.

southbound35

Reaction score

Well, my new 9015s (color 8 cords; perf tip bal) came in yesterday.  Unfortunately, they're just too big.   Depending on the last, I'm right between a 9.5D and 10D for Aldens (9.5D Indy, 10D in Chukka and 966), so I gambled with a 10D on these.    The toe box in these with the Hampton last is just too large to be comfortable.  Lesson learned. On the bright side, the customer service over at The Alden Shop in San Francisco has been top notch. I just got off the phone with Michael over there, and he'll be shipping (via 2-day) a new pair in 9.5D immediately, prior to receiving the returned pair. I'm in Dallas now (originally from S.F.) so this is really appreciated. Without the quick turnaround I could be looking at 10 business days to get the new pair. Good stuff.

Congrats on your 9015 acquisition. Hope the 9.5's work out for you. I've got a pair of 9015 that are at least 15 years old and the uppers still look great. The next time I need a new sole, I'll probably send them in for restoration since the lining around the heel is showing significant wear.

I'll be hard pressed to buy locally with service like this!

I live in Dallas. The only local store I've found with a decent selection of Aldens in stock (and certainly not to the extent of Alden of SF/NY/DC, etc.) is Culwell and Sons. Nice guys, but I'm pretty sure they mark up their shoe prices slightly above retail. Bought a pair of tan unlined chukkas from them (special order, not in stock) about two years ago and noticed they charged me an extra $10 or $15 above retail. They did the same when I special ordered a pair of Bill's Khakis. Not sure if it's a special order upcharge or if they charge over retail across the board.

I would prefer to buy local, but am not willing to pay a premium to do it.

justuhgeek

Reaction score

De-glazed #8 Tanker with one coat of Renovateur and about one minute of brushing. Comparison with a new #8 shoe.

Wow these turned out great. Saw this same technique in a Ron Rider blog post:

http://riderboot.com/2012/03/24/shell-cordovan-clean-up/

Did any color/dye variations even out after you stripped them and applied Renovateur?
If not, perhaps creme polish would add a bit of color to even it all out?
Was considering doing this to fade one of the "dye stains" on my color 8s,
but will probably hold off until they look closer to the pair in the blog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics