• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

totalair1

Reaction score
Seems as though some belt-tightening might be in order.

Just don't do it with sellran's $700 belt.
Let's be honest...it's not like shell wallets are cheap either. $425.00 for a 1 piece shell belt is not over the top expensive. Specially when compared to an ostrich, alligator or other exotic belt some of which are over $1,000. IMHO...a 1 piece shell belt is pretty rare.

See Ya,
Steve

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that I am breaking rules, but it is in order to be respectful and not the contrary,

I had posted my Whiskey LWB (new in box) on Marketplace and charged the actual charge that appeared on my credit card upon purchase. (Actually a couple dollars less at $785. This morning I saw some members reply and I had questions:

Is it considered gauging to charge the taxes and shipping costs that you incur for a pair of shoes/boots when you re-sell on Style Forum?

I am somewhat new to this forum, but have been a lurker for a while.

Can a senior member give me some input on this?

I had listed them for $785, which was just short of my credit card charge upon purchasing, but after reading this forum's take on the pricing today, I felt like I was taking advantage of my fellow Alden enthusiasts and that's the last thing that I want to do.

I have since droopped the price on Whiskey LWB to regular retail. $695

Is it considered gauging to charge the taxes and shipping costs that you incur for a pair of shoes/boots when you re-sell on Style Forum?

I want to play by the rules and be fair and I figured selling rare Alden Whiskey Long Wing Bluchers and only adding the actual costs that I incurred would be fair.

I repeat: Can a senior member give me some input on this?

They are currently listed at $695, which was done because Ibfelt bad and have no clue what I'm doing. I've listed plenty on Ebay/Paypal, but nothing here yet although I have plenty of great stuff. Want to do it right going forward.

Thx.

I'd just read the fine print of B&S since I believe you cannot charge the PayPal fees. As a seller, you should otherwise be able to charge as high/low as you want. But however rare an item is, others might not see the benefit of buying at cost in B&S since it can be done directly with reputable stores. Granted the whiskey LWB is rare, it falls on demand.

My experience is it is hard to move brand new items anywhere close to cost. Good luck with the sale though!

green garden

Reaction score
The only sale I've seen is on the irregular list. I did see a black pair of NST slip on's go on sale when they had 1 pair left which I got, but it was no smoking hot deal. I have seen a few Alden dealers who moved away from Alden due to availability issues close them out, but in most cases Alden product is so scarce it makes no sense to put it on sale. The only exceptions I've seen has been J Crew, and Brooks Brothers sales but nothing from TSM.

See Ya,
Steve
+1 on the TSM observation. When they do have a sale Alden is usually excluded. The other retailer I've seen that have discounted price is Alden of SFO. They have a section in the store for the discounted shoes. Presumably these are the models being obsoleted. They don't advertise the prices online though. You may have to call them to ask directly.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the brooks brothers perforated captoe shoe what last is it on? i know brooks brothers have their own lasts.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that I am breaking rules, but it is in order to be respectful and not the contrary,

I had posted my Whiskey LWB (new in box) on Marketplace and charged the actual charge that appeared on my credit card upon purchase. (Actually a couple dollars less at $785. This morning I saw some members reply and I had questions:

I had listed them for $785, which was just short of my credit card charge upon purchasing, but after reading this forum's take on the pricing today, I felt like I was taking advantage of my fellow Alden enthusiasts and that's the last thing that I want to do.

I want to play by the rules and be fair and I figured selling rare Alden Whiskey Long Wing Bluchers and only adding the actual costs that I incurred would be fair.

They are currently listed at $695, which was done because Ibfelt bad and have no clue what I'm doing. I've listed plenty on Ebay/Paypal, but nothing here yet although I have plenty of great stuff. Want to do it right going forward.

Thx.
You can sell your item for whatever you desire. Quick question though: If they are brand new in box and you want to recoup what you paid, why not just return them? If they are not in returnable shape, than you will have difficulty selling them at your original cost. Best of luck my friend!

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ravello lhs arrived today from tsm factory seconds
I believe they were deemed seconds due to the marbled shell on the left shoe
I don't mind it for the discount.

I really like my "tiger maple ravello loafers"

TactileOne

Reaction score
ravello lhs arrived today from tsm factory seconds
I believe they were deemed seconds due to the marbled shell on the left shoe
I don't mind it for the discount.

I really like my "tiger maple ravello loafers"
Lucky you! They look great.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks tactileone, I do feel lucky. Its my first time finding a gem on the seconds list. I called within a couple of minutes of receiving the seconds email.

Last edited:

Waterloo 360T

Reaction score

Cigar LWB at my daughter's Judo class.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that same marbled effect was on the NSTs I got from theshoemart. I returned them, as I wasn't comfortable at the first quality price

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ravello lhs arrived today from tsm factory seconds I believe they were deemed seconds due to the marbled shell on the left shoe I don't mind it for the discount. I really like my "tiger maple ravello loafers"
Super great score MrDV. They look awesome. Wear them in the best of health my friend.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thx.

If you want/think you can get $785 for them, price them at $785.
People on this forum are going to ***** and moan about prices no matter what. It's what we do here.
Of course people are also free to not buy them at that price.

It probably would have helped if in your listing you said you were trying to recover your costs and that's why they're priced the way they are and just left it at that.
People do that all the time.

And it's spelled "gouging".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads