• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for belts to wear with Ravello? I've found a couple of leads but didn't know if anyone had a go to that they would recommend. Doesn't have to be perfect, obviously, but something that comes close.

It is very difficult to ascertain true color on the Internet so any advice would be appreciated.

This may not be a popular answer, but I went to Nordstroms during their semi annual sale wearing my ravello and went through all of their belts until I came across a style I liked and color that matched. I went with a Trafalgar belt on sale for half off, $45. Did the same with my Cigars. I'll save my $ for shoes.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between the atom cigar at leffot and waiting for a sale on c&j marlow wingtip.
Does anyone know when the marlows usually go on sale?
I have boots (snuff suede chukkas, cigar chukka and color 8 Brixton) and a pair of black shell shortwing bluchers on order with LS. What would you guys get for a good all around brown shell shoe?

It sounds like the Marlows maybe your most logical brown shell. The atom cigars would be similar in use to your cigar chukka and color 8 Brixtons... both casual like the cigar atoms with antique (light) edge which makes it more commonly a casual shoe. Although the Marlows are a bulky heavy shoe, they are sleek and can easily dressed up, more so than the aldens, imho. If you have no intention on dressing these up at all, I think you can go with the atoms. The only time I think you can count on the Marlows going on sale at RL is in November and December. However, you can find them from time to time on ebay. I found a pair bnib, never been worn for $450 back in October or November. Hope this helps and good luck!

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It sounds like the Marlows maybe your most logical brown shell.  The atom cigars would be similar in use to your cigar chukka and color 8 Brixtons... both casual like the cigar atoms with antique (light) edge which makes it more commonly a casual shoe. Although the Marlows are a bulky heavy shoe, they are sleek and can easily dressed up, more so than the aldens, imho. If you have no intention on dressing these up at all, I think you can go with the atoms.  The only time I think you can count on the Marlows going on sale at RL is in November and December.  However, you can find them from time to time on ebay.  I found a pair bnib, never been worn for $450 back in October or November.  Hope this helps and good luck!

One thing I would mention is that the Leffot Atoms are on the tremont last, making it sleeker than most other cigar blutchers (PTBs, longwings, etc).. That said, I would recommend the Marlows over the Atoms as it is a versatile, workhorse shoe that truly can go from suits to jeans very easily and is well constructed.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sending in my ravello tassels into Alden for restoration ahead of spring/summer. I will post before/after photos. Hopefully they don't come back dyed color 8 or black.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Both would be nice, but neither is currently offered. Alden's factory medallion captoe blucher in color 8 - the 2145 - is one of Alden's best looking dress shoes IMO.
I decided to go with the Alden for BB medallion cap toe blucher. Very happy to find this old stock brand new, never been worn...

I passed on a bnib AE burgundy shell strand for just about the same price, in favor of these. I'm pretty happy with my choice. Thanks to those who provided feedback!

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those were Whiskey? Wow, they do darken significantly...

I will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Sorry for my emo post before. Just working through the guilt of indulging my shoe exuberance.

Please help me choose just one:

Whiskey or cigar lwb, both Barrie lasted.

I can only choose one for now. Please justify position based on versatility or complementarity with lwb collection that includes jcrew waxed brown, color 8 shell and snuff suede. Help!

Sadly there's no medication for this affliction of ours. :)

Can't you wrong with either choice, here are a few pic of mine to help you make your mind up.

Cigar LWB when new, with flash & in the wild

Whiskey LWB

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CTYGGG, either one would look stunning with a chocolate colored suit with gold pin-stripes. Ronald Reagan style.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Alden can ban sales, but they can enter into a Minimum Advertised Pricing agreement with their resellers.

I believe Teger asked a similar question.

I suggest calling the Alden factory, the vendor who sold you the shoes, or the Benjo's website.

yea I guess it'l be alden direct.. got them from jcrew, cant imagine they'll be able to help. not really interested in the colors that benjo offers, just want simple brown and all I have are waxed laces..

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Trying to decide between the atom cigar at leffot and waiting for a sale on c&j marlow wingtip.
Does anyone know when the marlows usually go on sale?
I have boots (snuff suede chukkas, cigar chukka and color 8 Brixton) and a pair of black shell shortwing bluchers on order with LS. What would you guys get for a good all around brown shell shoe?

Try searching this thread for Marlow sales history.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/228974/when-is-the-next-ralph-lauren-sale

Last year they went on sale in May and late October.
There may have been other instances.

Best deal is the Private sale where they've been something like 30% + 15% kicker.
I think the days of 40%+15% kicker are gone.

hkpm

Reaction score
Has anyone seen Alden for BB / Marlow of RL shoes in smaller sizes ? ie. 6.5D or below?
I have checked their website several time but the smallest size I've seen is 7.

docalden2013

Reaction score
i wear atom sw and barrie lwb with denim, they both look good with jeans. atoms are easier to dress up.
i ran a quick google search, most alden fans seem to wear the same barrie and tremont size including tom from leather soul. buy your shoes before they sell out. they will sell out.
I know I'm a bit behind on the Leffot Atom cigar discussion, but looking back at the posts from this weekend brings to mind a question about long- vs. shortwing bluchers. Which do you guys prefer and why? Are there certain types of clothing or levels of dressiness that leave you feeling that one is more called for than the other?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know I'm a bit behind on the Leffot Atom cigar discussion, but looking back at the posts from this weekend brings to mind a question about long- vs. shortwing bluchers. Which do you guys prefer and why? Are there certain types of clothing or levels of dressiness that leave you feeling that one is more called for than the other?

I usually prefer the longwing because I feel it can work with casual clothes a bit better than the shortwing and also because it has a sort of quintessential American "trad" style to it. That being said, I did place an order for the new cigar Atom shortwing from Leffot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads