• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATLVol

Reaction score
I really dig how these look and am considering a pair myself. How does the Van compare in sizing to say the Barrie? I could imagine going down a half size due to no laces but am wondering if that is the case? Also curious in regards to width.

Will at Leather Soul recommended going with my Barrie size which seems to be right on for these. I was glad to see Uncle Mac recommended the same earlier in the thread.

I have tried these on in shell and felt that an 11D was a bit snug across the top but the 11.5 was a bit loose in the heel. Surpisingly, the 11D in these feels great with no tightness across the vamp.

I have never needed a narrow shoe but may try an 11.5 A/C in the shell to see if the extra length helps with the vamp tightness and the narrow width helps with the heel. I know that this was a preorder so I am not sure if they have any left. What is your size?

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score
got my cigar LHS in the mail today... mmm... now i need to add whiskey and black to the rainbow. i think the only shoe i really want in every shell color is the LHS. i've had other alden's and sold them and i think everything i have now are definite keepers.

my current Alden lineup is the following... in order of acquisitions.

1. J. Crew PCT Boot - Color 8
2. Leffot Navy Suede Tassel Loafers
3. LS Plaza CXL Wingtip Boot
4. LHS - Color 8
5. Ravello LWB
6. LS Brown CXL Ultimate Indy
7. LHS- Cigar

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

got my cigar LHS in the mail today... mmm... now i need to add whiskey and black to the rainbow. i think the only shoe i really want in every shell color is the LHS. i've had other alden's and sold them and i think everything i have now are definite keepers.

my current Alden lineup is the following... in order of acquisitions.

1. J. Crew PCT Boot - Color 8
2. Leffot Navy Suede Tassel Loafers
3. LS Plaza CXL Wingtip Boot
4. LHS - Color 8
5. Ravello LWB
6. LS Brown CXL Ultimate Indy
7. LHS- Cigar

That's a nice lineup. If you love the LHS and don't mind tripling up, it seems to be a natural choice for your first or only whiskey.

Last edited:

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score

That's a nice lineup. If you love the LHS and don't mind tripling up, it seems to be a natural choice for your first or only whiskey.

i don't! SF has my size in Whiskey LHS now... but i bought the Cigars and the Indy's this week so i'm running thin on disposable funds, especially with wanting a new watch in the near future.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How would you guys fill in the below?

#8: NST Tanker Boot
Cigar: ???
Ravello: Cap Toe Day Tripper Boot
Whiskey: LHS

I'm interested in answers that are not PTB, chukka, or LWB.

I should've mentioned that the tanker is the only shoe I actually own in the above. The other two are simply styles I happen to like.

Many have suggested the grant cap toe boot. I definitely like this, though I'd prefer to not get both a ravello and cigar cap toe boot.

Many have also mentioned a cigar wingtip boot, but I have only seen Uncle post a pair of these, I think on the plaza. What specific model/retailer were you guys thinking of?

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i don't! SF has my size in Whiskey LHS now... but i bought the Cigars and the Indy's this week so i'm running thin on disposable funds, especially with wanting a new watch in the near future.

Well, whiskey is rare and all, but I'm sure you'll be able to get it in the future once you save up a bit more after your recent purchases. It just might not always be available in stock somewhere.

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score

Well, whiskey is rare and all, but I'm sure you'll be able to get it in the future once you save up a bit more after your recent purchases. It just might not always be available in stock somewhere.

definitely. i'm not too worried. DC has an unofficial list going for Whiskey LHS and i'm the first 7.5D on it. so yeah... i can wait a year or whatever. it's not really LHS weather for a few months in new york anyway.

chantheman

Reaction score
from leffot's fb page.

72 pairs of cordovans

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from leffot's fb page.

72 pairs of cordovans

I saw that picture too, and the first thought I had was "wow, impressive collection... too bad the owner doesn't take proper care of them." Most of them don't have shoe trees and are showing the results of it. One would think that anyone who can afford 72 pairs of cordovan Aldens can also afford to take proper care of them.

closerlook

Reaction score

I should've mentioned that the tanker is the only shoe I actually own in the above. The other two are simply styles I happen to like.

Many have suggested the grant cap toe boot. I definitely like this, though I'd prefer to not get both a ravello and cigar cap toe boot.

Many have also mentioned a cigar wingtip boot, but I have only seen Uncle post a pair of these, I think on the plaza. What specific model/retailer were you guys thinking of?

TW JUST POSTED A PAIR OF THESE CIGAR WT BOOTS A FEW POSTS UP FOR TRADE - THEY WOULD BE YOUR SIZE (AS I KNOW WHAT SIZE YOU ARE).
edit: (sorry for the caps lock) there must have been a miscommunication, as it appears you actually responded to that post - - anyway, that is the leathersoul plaza cigar wt boot you are asking about.

best of luck!

Last edited:

closerlook

Reaction score

TW JUST POSTED A PAIR OF THESE CIGAR WT BOOTS A FEW POSTS UP FOR TRADE

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw that picture too, and the first thought I had was "wow, impressive collection... too bad the owner doesn't take proper care of them."  Most of them don't have shoe trees and are showing the results of it.  One would think that anyone who can afford 72 pairs of cordovan Aldens can also afford to take proper care of them.

From what I've seen on other threads, some people like to crease their cordovans. The shine on those shoes appears to be maintained pretty well at least. There are also some duplicates in there, so I wonder if these are really just one owner

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen on other threads, some people like to crease their cordovans. The shine on those shoes appears to be maintained pretty well at least. There are also some duplicates in there, so I wonder if these are really just one owner

That thought crossed my mind as well.

stmaier

Reaction score

It is most likely a Shoemart model folks are referring to. I do not see it on their website currently. They do have a Ravello, Color #8, and Black version up so you can take a look at the style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads