• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!  Is there a difference in the care of cordovan vs. calf leather shoes?  I notice that most Alden shoes are made of cordovan.  The cleaning methods that I've googled (such as the Mac Method) and the waxes I've looked up only mention care for cordovan.  Is there a difference for the care of calf leather shoes?

Thanks

Yes - a difference in product, method, and frequency.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Cigar LWB

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that it is impossible for anyone to advise me on sizing over the internet, but I am curious to hear about other's experience with the Hampton (Style 9015 & 9016).

I have "normal" feet, except for a slightly narrow heel.  I am 9C in Barrie, Van and Aberdeen.  9.5D in Gucci Loafers, Rancourt Blake, Rancourt Boat, Sneakers, Timberlands, ect.

Was thinking I would be a 9.5D on the Hampton.  Also thought maybe I would buy 9.5D and 9.5E and exchange whichever doesn't fit.

Any input greatly appreciated.

(Maybe it would be best to just go to Alden NY and try them on, I just feel bad because I would prefer to buy them from SF and have them shipped to my PA address to avoid sales tax.  Does Alden SF ship for free?)

Your Hampton size will most likely be your Aberdeen size. If you are a 9C in Aberdeen and a 9.5E in Hampton, I will be completely baffled. If you get two sizes, I would suggest some combination of 9C, 9D, 9.5C and 9.5D. Obviously availability will play a part in whether you can readily get them in C widths.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Alden SF ships for free, but a trip to Alden NY is a good idea. Nothing beats tryng on the shoes. The crew at Alden NY is very good. They were a big help when I dropped in over there.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is very helpful.  Much obliged.  Seems like the Epic is what I need.  Almost wonder if it might have been better for all of my LHS, but there is no way I would buy all new trees for that reason.
One is Modified, one is Barrie, no?  Keep the Modified if you like that last.  Harder to find again relative to the other.
Thank you for your response.  Maybe the barrie just works better for your foot shape/proportions?
That looks awesome.  You did a great job.  I actually like it better with the welt left black, although I would not have predicted that it would be my preference.

I too prefer the welt left dark. I have color 8 tassels with antique edging (BNelson) - but I left the welt dark. Nice boots.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe Alden SF ships for free, but a trip to Alden NY is a good idea.  Nothing beats tryng on the shoes.  The crew at Alden NY is very good.  They were a big help when I dropped in over there.

Alden SF: free shipping on orders over $75.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you were to keep just one of the black captoes which one would it be? Don't need two captoes in the same color. Also can't decide if I want to keep the J. Crew captoes, still can't get my head around #8

Keep the ones with single row stitching.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score

If you were to keep just one of the black captoes which one would it be? Don't need two captoes in the same color. Also can't decide if I want to keep the J. Crew captoes, still can't get my head around #8
Definitely keep the one with the single row of stitching, and definitely keep the J.Crew cap-toe boot, it's seriously one of the best-looking Alden makeups I've seen.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting the Indy boots in black, and the only place I can find that has the black in CXL is Epaulet (others are the calfskin). But I am hesitant to order from them because they have strict no-refund policy. Pretty sure my size is 10D, but sometimes an individual pair differs slightly, and I while I don't plan to return them, I'd like to have the option. (Also, if 10D didn't work I would normally exchange for 9.5E, which Epaulet does not offer.)

So, my question is, anyone know of another place that offers the Indy boot in black CXL?

Also, anyone have a pics of some broken in black CXLs?

Thanks.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely keep the one with the single row of stitching, and definitely keep the J.Crew cap-toe boot, it's seriously one of the best-looking Alden makeups I've seen.

By the way, I like the Double stitching!

CTYGGG

Reaction score

I am thinking of getting the Indy boots in black, and the only place I can find that has the black in CXL is Epaulet (others are the calfskin).  But I am hesitant to order from them because they have strict no-refund policy.  Pretty sure my size is 10D, but sometimes an individual pair differs slightly, and I while I don't plan to return them, I'd like to have the option.  (Also, if 10D didn't work I would normally exchange for 9.5E, which Epaulet does not offer.)

So, my question is, anyone know of another place that offers the Indy boot in black CXL?

Also, anyone have a pics of some broken in black CXLs?

Thanks.

Mike & Adele @ epaulet offer a 14 day refund return policy for all Styleforum members.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike & Adele @ epaulet offer a 14 day refund return policy for all Styleforum members.

Thanks so much for this! I didn't know, and will follow up with them about it...

In the meantime, any pics of worn in black CXL?

dslonghorn4

Reaction score

My gateway Alden shoe to many dollars spent. Perfect for running errands on a Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads