• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score

Cigar captoe boots on Grant with commando sole today

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ One of my favorites ^^

Just cleaned mine up today

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentlemen....sometimes we need to take matters into our own hands. These arrived in the mailbox yesterday and were purchased at the Alden Shop in NYC. A bit of elbow grease and some walnut stain and voila:

My last pair of the same boot (see below picture) were recently sold because they were too tight. They came with a single leather sole and no storm welting (the J. Crew make-up from last year) so I had B. Nelson put on a double leather sole and add a storm welt and stain them in an"Antique" finish. A different look than today's project because the welt was also done in the lighter finish.

I actually love the way both pairs came out but today's project was much cheaper.

Nice work. What was your method?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any idea whether they can do this w/ a tasseled loafer too?

Alden probably could but they don't currently. To be clear Alden NYC stocks the shoes I described, they weren't a custom order by me (another poster mentioned the shoes a few pages back which inspired my visit today)

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bakes, yes, I use the Woodlore Epic Twin-Tube trees in most of my boots. But I also use the AE/JAB full-toe trees in some of my boots as well (usually those that are a bit narrower or have pointier toes). Here are some approximate measurements. I am an 8D TTS and for reference, am 7.5D in the Alden Barrie and 8D in the AE 1-last. I use size Small in both the Epic and AE trees. These measurements are for the size Small trees.

Width (approximate at the ball of the foot): Epic - 3.375" (3.125" with the spring compressed) and the AE - 3.125"
Girth (circumference at the ball of the foot): Epic - 8.75" and the AE - 8.125"
Height (the Epic comes up much higher and therefore IMO better for boots): Epic - 2.5" and the AE - 1.875"

Hope this helps.
This is very helpful. Much obliged. Seems like the Epic is what I need. Almost wonder if it might have been better for all of my LHS, but there is no way I would buy all new trees for that reason.

If you were to keep just one of the black captoes which one would it be? Don't need two captoes in the same color. Also can't decide if I want to keep the J. Crew captoes, still can't get my head around #8
One is Modified, one is Barrie, no? Keep the Modified if you like that last. Harder to find again relative to the other.
I have both of those (9015 and 9016) and they are 10D. My LWBs are 9.5D. I think they all fit well, but I especially like the LWBs on the Barrie in terms of comfort. I am not sure I can say why, double sole, blucher style?
Thank you for your response. Maybe the barrie just works better for your foot shape/proportions?
Gentlemen....sometimes we need to take matters into our own hands. These arrived in the mailbox yesterday and were purchased at the Alden Shop in NYC. A bit of elbow grease and some walnut stain and voila:
My last pair of the same boot (see below picture) were recently sold because they were too tight. They came with a single leather sole and no storm welting (the J. Crew make-up from last year) so I had B. Nelson put on a double leather sole and add a storm welt and stain them in an"Antique" finish. A different look than today's project because the welt was also done in the lighter finish.

I actually love the way both pairs came out but today's project was much cheaper.
That looks awesome. You did a great job. I actually like it better with the welt left black, although I would not have predicted that it would be my preference.

tmw

Reaction score
"That looks awesome. You did a great job. I actually like it better with the welt left black, although I would not have predicted that it would be my preference."

My sentiments exactly, I couldn't visualize how the black welt would look so I kept it natural on the first pair. I had no choice on the second pair as the welt and double leather sole came from the factory in black.

Now looking at the pics side by side I think that I also prefer the welting in black.. A good thing for the buyer (if he see's this) is that he can bring it to B. Nelson who will easily and cheaply color the welting black if he so desires.

cheers

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TMW: those boots are so unique looking. I love them !

p.s. speaking of unique, Uncle Mac has added a few new exotics to his blog

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking for an Ultimate Indy Boot in CXL. Commando Sole is a must. Does anyone know who stocks and/or restocks one regularly other than LS (already contacted them)?
Thanks for any help!

i too am interested in this.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If there were ever a picture that could convince a hand stitching fan to consider machine stitching on the Indy boot, I wager this is it.

nephew,
thank you
i agree

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Epaulet #8 Brixton....there was some discussion about antique vs dark edging on #8 - I like both, but I really prefer the antique for this particular model.

nephew,
good looking wt boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads