• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to score the Ravello PTBs from Anatomica before I surrender to the onslaught of rising shell prices.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shell shot:
back left: #8 cap toe boot (J.Crew), #4 WT boot (TSM)
mid row: cigar beale (union made), whiskey bal cap toe (alden ny), #8 LWB with antique edge (Leffot), #8 LHS
front row: navy LWB (florsheim x duckie brown), black swb (leather sole)

Hey Mr. C., did you have those J.Crew #8 captoes recrafted or resoled? Can't tell for sure from the pic, but it looks like the welt/sole edging is lighter than the black that mine have. The lighter or antique edging would have been my preference. Great collection!

Last edited:

33peace

Reaction score
FYI, Alden of NY just emailed me they just received a Cigar Indy (trubalance, double leather soles) in 8D that are on hold for me. Since I picked up a pair with commando soles a few months ago from J. Gilbert, I'm going to let them know I no longer want them.
I wish I could try this size on. I have the Indy 403 in an 8.5D. With Smartwool Light Crew socks, the 8.5 fit easily. Not snug at all but not slipping out of them.

I also wear an 8.5 In Red Wings Iron Rangers as another shoe fit. Is there any reason to think the Cordovan 8D would fit? IF so I am very interested, I prefer the double leather over the commando sole so these would be perfect.

Last edited:

mothball

Reaction score

Mothball,
I own three pairs of Alden Indy Tobacco Chamois. One pair is one year old and the two other pairs are about three months old. When I originally bought the first pair, it was recommended to me to use Allen Edmonds Chamois Oil and apply it to the boots with a horse hair brush whenever the boots get dry. Well, I did not buy the Allen Edmonds Chamois Oil then, thinking that it may be a while before I needed the chamois oil. When I try to buy the Allen Edmonds Chamois Oil about three months ago, I was told that Allen Edmonds has discontinued the product. My one year old boots are still in an amazing great shape. The only care I have been doing is brushing the boots with a horse hair brush every other day or as needed. I have been also recommended to use Obenauf's Leather Oil when the boots get dry (I have not tried that yet). I have been using my boots in Africa (my home is in Arizona but I am currently working in Africa) and although the weather here in Africa is hot and humid and lots of rain, the boots are still clean, the leather is still supple, and looking great. These are, in my humble opinion, one of the best and most functional Alden Indy boots ever created and produced.
I found that Russell's Mocassins bootmaker sells chamois oil in a bottle for the care of their chamois leather boots. I ordered one bottle and once I receive it I will test the chamois oil on a small section of my boots to see how it works. Other than the above, I have been also asking other owners of the Alden Indy Tobacco Chamois boots how they care for their boots. So far, brushing them with a horse hair brush has worked magnificently.
I hope the above helps. If anyone knows a better way to care for the chamois leather boots, please let us know.
Thank you -
George

Thanks, George! For anyone else interested, I treated mine with Montana Pitch Blend, which I love for CXL. It darkened the chamois quite a bit & seems to have made the boots into dust magnets, so it was probably not the best choice for this leather. Thank you for the post.

Last edited:

Burra

Reaction score

Sorry for the long-windedness of this post but I have a bit of an interesting sizing situation here.

On a recent trip to NYC I bought my first pair of Aldens, some Whiskey Cordovan Indy's in size 9EEE. I typically wear size 11 in boots, but when I was looking at the shoe on display it looked about the right size. Turns out it was, and in fact was the best fitting boot I'd ever worn. When I remarked how odd it was that a size 9EEE fit right, the sales associate said that for each width rating, Aldens tend to go up half a size in lenght (*scratching head*).

Fast forward a few months and I pick up a pair of second hand CXL plain toe boots on the True Balance last, this time in size 11. The outsoles are the exact same length. Turns out the guy was essentially right. The difference however is in the fit of the uppers. The 11 is shaped for a foot with roughly the same shape but much more girth than the 9EEE (particularly in the heel cup). The 11 works for me with a tight lacing and thick socks, but I prefer the fit of the 9.

To add to all this, I saw an ebay post for some 10E's that had the same outsole measurements as my 9EE and 11D. So at this stage I'm starting to believe that I could probably fit multiple Aldens by playing with the length/width combo: 9EEE, 9.5EE, and 10E. Weirdest thing ever but sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. My goal is to find which one is the optimal fit, but it's difficult to find Aldens to try on in SoCal.

So my question to you guys is whether anyone here has had a similar situation? What ended up being the best fit in the end? And finally, who would be best to talk to about this before I order my next pair? Someone at Alden (is that possible)? Or maybe someone from a particular retailer?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Photo proof below, 11D's on top, 9EEE's on bottom:

Would love to work this out as well.

I have 9EE Indys, and noone ever has EE, only Ds. I would love to be able to order Ds that fit, to save a lot of waiting time.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I have 13 (for some reason I really thought it was only 10). The 14th are black shell plain cap toes, Hampton last from Alden NY.

Originally, I had also forgotten the two pair of Truflare wingtips I recently acquired.
How are you finding that the Hampton fit? True Size + 1 width? or no?

I have been eyeing the Perf Cap Toe Bal in back and #8 to wear with a suits. The only problem is that I don't wear suits anymore. But I may again one day soon.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can score Carmina shell for less than that, from Europe, shipped to your door. Ugh.

This is a bad thing? Alden pricing is basically inversely proportional to their quality control for like the last few years imo.

Last edited:

mr chorizo

Reaction score

Hey Mr. C., did you have those J.Crew #8 captoes recrafted or resoled?  Can't tell for sure from the pic, but it looks like the welt/sole edging is lighter than the black that mine have.  The lighter or antique edging would have been my preference.  Great collection!

yup had the edge and welt redone and B nelson with commando sole. i'm surprised that noone has done a perf cap toe boot in #8 with antique edge

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yup had the edge and welt redone and B nelson with commando sole. i'm surprised that noone has done a perf cap toe boot in #8 with antique edge

Thanks. That explains it. If one doesn't need the #8 boot to be dressy, the more casual look of an antique edge with the #8 (or cigar for that matter), makes for an awesome looking combination. Good choice on going with that.

mr chorizo

Reaction score

Thanks.  That explains it.  If one doesn't need the #8 boot to be dressy, the more casual look of an antique edge with the #8 (or cigar for that matter), makes for an awesome looking combination.  Good choice on going with that.

thank you! that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to a straight cap on grant last and double leather sole to have something on the dressier side.

mr chorizo

Reaction score
a great new make up from the bureau. I prefer the dover pattern but this pretty much of the best everyday shoes i've seen from Alden.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Two newest adds
Ravello captoe boot, Barrie last, commando sole from Unionmade
9ygyga2y.jpg

Cigar NST shoes, Aberdeen last, antique edge trim from Alden NYC (my first NST - 10E in Aberdeen works great)
3agypy3u.jpg

Will post a family captoe picture this weekend

nephew,
two wonderful additions to your wardrobe, wearing in good health, remember the break in method

jimney

Reaction score

So I just got my Epaulet Natural Brixtons about a week ago, and I wore them out one day last week. I'm thinking I want to get some sort of rubber sole protection for winter - is it too late now since I wore them out? Is there a decent place in Chicago I can get this done?

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm actually working from home this week recovering from a shoulder operation and the WSJ subscription goes to the office.  

get well soon, spring training starts in february

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads