***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

The only thing stopping me from getting these are the speed hooks. My pant hems hate em.

2. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I don't necessarily disagree, but in what ways do you think they are better than, say, these #8 boots:

[​IMG]

3. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I bought a pair of color #8 PTBs off of there about a year and a half ago. The only flaw I could determine on them were some grayish specks on the leather but they came very easily with a damp cloth and some vigorous brushing. I have a feeling that whomever inspected them at TSM thought the leather was discolored when it they just happened to have some dust sort of pasted to them (I think the specks might have come from the inside of some of the packing materials).

I would not hesitate to buy from the seconds list again.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

When it comes to color 8 boots, I'm partial to these when it comes to that title:

[​IMG]

But if we were truly nominating a "navy blazer" of Alden, it would probably be either the color 8 tassel or color 8 LHS

5. DCRoyal

DCRoyal Active Member

I bought a pair of Whiskey LHS about a year ago... only flaw was a small ball point pen mark on the right instep. Not sure how that would have even happened in the factory or the store, but not even close to noticeable enough for me to return them and no one has ever commented on it.

I did make the mistake of using the saphir neutral color corovan creme instead of the reno on them and it darkened the color a bit more than i would have liked. So heads up on that for everyone with Whiskey cordovan.

6. DCRoyal

DCRoyal Active Member

Regarding the cigar indy, does anyone know how many shops offer them, and how frequently? Based on what I can gather from this forum and google, both ShoeMart and Leather Soul have had them in the past but I didnt know if there were other sources. I'm an 11.5D on truebalance and I imagine my size gets sold out pretty quickly so I want to be on the lookout.

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Call Alden Madison Avenue in NYC, they stock it

8. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Interesting that you would include tassel loafers over LWB, and that the LWB in general hasn't been nominated.

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

"Navy blazer" screams loafers to me

The original idea may have been to name the most versatile boot/shoe, and I agree, color 8 captoe is a strong contender

10. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

haha yeah by "navy blazer" i meant "most versatile" not necessarily "what would go best with a navy blazer." carry on with the debate, gentlemen!

11. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Right, the "most versatile," goes-with-as-much-as-possible is what I took it to mean. I was going to dismiss loafers since they're not appropriate with suits, but they can be worn with shorts. Ultimately, a color 8 shoe or boot is probably more versatile though, ideally something that can go with denim all the way up to a suit. The J Crew boot is a solid contender.

12. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

^ I love boots as much as the next guy, and I have my fair share of Alden boots (captoe, Indy, wingtip) but I'm going to have to vote PTB in any color but whiskey as the "navy blazer" of Alden line. IMO boot lack a bit more versatility at the upper end of the dressiness spectrum (as compared to shoes), and are all but worthless in warmer weather (especially in shell cordovan)

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

# 8 captoe boot on plaza with double leather would be most versatile. Bam!

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

But I'm partial to boots and shell. Maybe shell isn't even the most versatile leather?

15. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I think suede is the most versatile. One only needs to brush it from time to time. And suede has spunk to go with a suit and casual as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.