• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have this boot and I agree 100%. The color really shines with the boot's simplicity.

The only thing stopping me from getting these are the speed hooks. My pant hems hate em.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm hereby nominating the j crew perf captoe #8 boot to be "the navy blazer of aldens."

I don't necessarily disagree, but in what ways do you think they are better than, say, these #8 boots:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So those of you guys who have had experience buying seconds at TSM, how has it been going for you? Has it been worth it for you in general?

I bought a pair of color #8 PTBs off of there about a year and a half ago. The only flaw I could determine on them were some grayish specks on the leather but they came very easily with a damp cloth and some vigorous brushing. I have a feeling that whomever inspected them at TSM thought the leather was discolored when it they just happened to have some dust sort of pasted to them (I think the specks might have come from the inside of some of the packing materials).

I would not hesitate to buy from the seconds list again.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm hereby nominating the j crew perf captoe #8 boot to be "the navy blazer of aldens."

I don't necessarily disagree, but in what ways do you think they are better than, say, these #8 boots:

When it comes to color 8 boots, I'm partial to these when it comes to that title:

8y3ysunu.jpg

But if we were truly nominating a "navy blazer" of Alden, it would probably be either the color 8 tassel or color 8 LHS

Last edited:

DCRoyal

Reaction score
So those of you guys who have had experience buying seconds at TSM, how has it been going for you? Has it been worth it for you in general?

I bought a pair of Whiskey LHS about a year ago... only flaw was a small ball point pen mark on the right instep. Not sure how that would have even happened in the factory or the store, but not even close to noticeable enough for me to return them and no one has ever commented on it.

I did make the mistake of using the saphir neutral color corovan creme instead of the reno on them and it darkened the color a bit more than i would have liked. So heads up on that for everyone with Whiskey cordovan.

DCRoyal

Reaction score
Regarding the cigar indy, does anyone know how many shops offer them, and how frequently? Based on what I can gather from this forum and google, both ShoeMart and Leather Soul have had them in the past but I didnt know if there were other sources. I'm an 11.5D on truebalance and I imagine my size gets sold out pretty quickly so I want to be on the lookout.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Regarding the cigar indy, does anyone know how many shops offer them, and how frequently?  Based on what I can gather from this forum and google, both ShoeMart and Leather Soul have had them in the past but I didnt know if there were other sources.  I'm an 11.5D on truebalance and I imagine my size gets sold out pretty quickly so I want to be on the lookout. 

Call Alden Madison Avenue in NYC, they stock it

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When it comes to color 8 boots, I'm partial to these when it comes to that title:
8y3ysunu.jpg
But if we were truly nominating a "navy blazer" of Alden, it would probably be either the color 8 tassel or color 8 LHS

Interesting that you would include tassel loafers over LWB, and that the LWB in general hasn't been nominated.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8y3ysunu.jpg

Interesting that you would include tassel loafers over LWB, and that the LWB in general hasn't been nominated.

"Navy blazer" screams loafers to me

The original idea may have been to name the most versatile boot/shoe, and I agree, color 8 captoe is a strong contender

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha yeah by "navy blazer" i meant "most versatile" not necessarily "what would go best with a navy blazer." carry on with the debate, gentlemen!

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Navy blazer" screams loafers to me
The original idea may have been to name the most versatile boot/shoe, and I agree, color 8 captoe is a strong contender

haha yeah by "navy blazer" i meant "most versatile" not necessarily "what would go best with a navy blazer." carry on with the debate, gentlemen!

Right, the "most versatile," goes-with-as-much-as-possible is what I took it to mean. I was going to dismiss loafers since they're not appropriate with suits, but they can be worn with shorts. Ultimately, a color 8 shoe or boot is probably more versatile though, ideally something that can go with denim all the way up to a suit. The J Crew boot is a solid contender.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I love boots as much as the next guy, and I have my fair share of Alden boots (captoe, Indy, wingtip) but I'm going to have to vote PTB in any color but whiskey as the "navy blazer" of Alden line. IMO boot lack a bit more versatility at the upper end of the dressiness spectrum (as compared to shoes), and are all but worthless in warmer weather (especially in shell cordovan)

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
# 8 captoe boot on plaza with double leather would be most versatile. Bam!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But I'm partial to boots and shell. Maybe shell isn't even the most versatile leather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads