• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't necessarily disagree, but in what ways do you think they are better than, say, these #8 boots:

This boot, on the Grant (as opposed to Barrie), and with no speed hooks (as opposed to with speed hooks), easily wins the comparison. It's not even close IMO.

RyanAnderson

Reaction score

Would LHS be too casual?

Hey Ryan, welcome. I know it's like recommending Sgt. Pepper's to a music lover but I would go with the color 8 longwing. It's not black or brown, it's just this universal color that takes more effort to find a situation in which it won't work than one in which it will. You really can't make a poor decision though; you'll be happy with any Alden you get. Best of luck.

cigar ptb or lwb
color 8 ptb or lwb
black shell lwb

I'd go with color 8 for sure, and then choose between ptb and lwb. Both are iconic and match everything.

Thanks for the recommendations. Consensus seems to be around color 8 and either LWB or PTB. Was a little concerned LWB are too close to the shortwings I have - I'm guessing most would say I shouldn't be concerned about this? Also, nobody likes the ravelo PTBs I mentioned? Is the thought that ravelo is too casual, or not versatile enough?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ I love boots as much as the next guy, and I have my fair share of Alden boots (captoe, Indy, wingtip) but I'm going to have to vote PTB in any color but whiskey as the "navy blazer" of Alden line.  IMO boot lack a bit more versatility at the upper end of the dressiness spectrum (as compared to shoes), and are all but worthless in warmer weather (especially in shell cordovan)

No objection as to the PTB comment.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the recommendations. Consensus seems to be around color 8 and either LWB or PTB. Was a little concerned LWB are too close to the shortwings I have - I'm guessing most would say I shouldn't be concerned about this? Also, nobody likes the ravelo PTBs I mentioned? Is the thought that ravelo is too casual, or not versatile enough?

I love my ravello ptb's. But color 8 ptb's are more versatile.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think suede is the most versatile. One only needs to brush it from time to time. And suede has ***** to go with a suit and casual as well.

Good points. I believe SF'er aka giantbeard only wears suede? His combos looks great each time

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is an amazing boot. More pictures please, and information on where they were purchased.

Call Alden DC if you want cigar and mind the commando sole. Last time I was in town (1 month ago) they were still taking names for the preorder.

I think these are Ravello, flex welt from Leffot about 1 year ago

ubiquiti

Reaction score
Helped my brother out with some moving today.

Yenni also informed me my Color 8 Indy's have come in, will post pics when I get them.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Call Alden DC if you want cigar and mind the commando sole. Last time I was in town (1 month ago) they were still taking names for the preorder.
I think these are Ravello, flex welt from Leffot about 1 year ago

Yes, a bit of digging leads me to believe that they are the Leffot "day tripper" in Ravello.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is why I didn't mention ravello:

1. Very scarce supply. Ravello LWBs/PTBs do surface every now and then, but I'm not aware of anyone carrying it at the moment in popular sizes.
2. Color 8 (IMO) is the quintessential Alden color, and thus a better first choice. Ravello, while my personal favorite color, is brown, and quite a few companies make lovely shades of brown. I don't think anyone can really replicate what Horween accomplishes with color 8 shell.

Sorry for the long answer.

ElDave

Reaction score
Shoemart has 10.5D cigar chukkas in stock if anybody's looking.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies if there's a more appropriate forum for this, but:

I am selling a pair of 9901s (black shell PTB) in 9.5E if anyone's looking. Worn about 12 times total, mostly indoors sitting in a courtroom. Comes with shoe box and bags.

Not looking to get rich, just want to get them off my hands since they're too wide for me and I rarely wear them given all the Aldens I own. All reasonable offers considered. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

Trinitrogen Oxide

Reaction score
I ordered these from AoC back in Feburary, and they finally showed up last week. Ravello LWB with double leather soul. First pair of shell cordovan shoes, completely and totally worth the wait. Cell phone camera doesn't do them justice, and kinda adds a little red or pink to it thats not really there.

P3Gah.jpg

Last edited:

neutrino

Reaction score
^ So they'll be getting some trinitrogen oxide treatment, right?
smile.gif

neutrino

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback on shoemart seconds. I spotted a #8 indy in my size for $400, but on further request it turned out to be unavailable, as it often happens.
On a related note, does anyone know a place to order a 403 indy on a discount? Maybe a SF affiliate? Saw them at Need Supply, but my size was gone in front of my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads