1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I completely agree!

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, i like your saddle, wear in good health

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, good looking gunboats, wear in good health

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,

looking good in your gunboats, unable from your picture to see water welts, enjoy wearing

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    wear in good health
    i like your black tassels

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    whiskey ptb
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  7. Don L

Don L Senior member

^^ Love the whiskey and argyles Uncle ^^

8. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I love this shoe.

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,

thank you

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,

thank you

11. mist3rhan

mist3rhan Member

Just got my first pair of Ultimate Indy's from Leathersoul last week. Pays to be local I suppose :) Slowly getting into Aldens, and I can already tell it's going to be an expensive hobby haha

[​IMG]

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Always impressed w/ the clarity of your PTBs, Uncle Mac. Look great -

13. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

great looking boots. where are those from? i am starting to put together a list of places that have done specific boot make-ups in the past.

14. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Haven't seen these posted yet, but wearing the Leffot CXL PT boot today. Really liking the makeup:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

16. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

Thank you Uncle!

17. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

My Marlow wingtips have the same thing on one shoe. I'm not sure exactly what's causing it, but it does not seem as if it will ever go away. I second the notion to return or exchange if it really bothers you. Sometimes I wish I had, even though it's not a huge deal.

18. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

FWIW, I contacted them about 3 pairs of suede tassels in my size. They responded that they were posted erroneously and that they do not actually have the shoes about which I inquired.

I would have thought that it would have brushed out in 15 min. Maybe not the gash, but at least the color should have evened out. If you say it didn't work, than I have no reason to doubt you.

Are you TRYING to taunt me? They look great BTW. Go great with the pants.

19. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

Great looking boots. Are those the Jumpers from Leather Soul?

20. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Hi Everyone,

First post after reading the official Alden thread this past month trying to get educated on all things Alden (I've decided that, despite my desire to be thorough and not embarrass myself on this forum given my Alden-illiteracy, it is highly unlikely I can read through all 2860 pages of the thread and stay married). Having said that, hope you guys will be patient as I pose some of my questions.

A little background on how I got here: As a mid/late-30's professional in health care, I decided to begin dressing more professionally. I've been trying to learn much more about permanent fashion in general this past year and moving beyond the fickle and random teachings of GQ (I'm intrigued with what I've learned so far from Flusser). To deal with my remedial shoe education, I got rid of a decade's worth of shoes and began investing in Allen Edmonds shoes (am I allowed to utter that brand here :) Over the course of reading up on AE, I naturally encountered the great Alden vs AE debate and decided to learn about Alden to settle it for myself. Well, thanks to Mac and many others very intriguing photos and wisdom, I've decided that one way to resolve ambivalence between two brands is to just buy some of both. So, my quest has begun for wingtips and boots from the Alden universe.

I finally took the plunge and ordered 2 LWBs from JCrew: the "waxed" tobacco horween CXL and the snuff suede (a shout-out to the personal stylist at JCrew who was able to get me a 25% discount!!). My first question to the forum is: Is there a Mac break-in procedure for non-shell Aldens?

The followup to that question is, which materials should I have on hand? I've taken a look at the goods offered on the Hanger Project and wondering which things I truly need and which things I could arguably skip.

Another question is: how many longwings does one need to make a decent rotation for oneself? I have a mind to get a Color 8 shell and would love to learn how one finds their way to a Ravello, Whiskey or Cigar shell LWB. (I guess I want to be like Mac when I grow up...)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.