1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I think the eyelets would be a deal breaker for me. or I'd buy and then send for taps and eyelet changeout.

2. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

They are on the Aberdeen.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

4. Burton

Burton Senior member

There is a Barrie contingent, a modified contingent and even a plaza contingent, but no Aberdeen. I wish they did more on the Aberdeen.

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Aberdeen, Grant and Tremont are my favorite lasts (as long as the retailer orders E widths)

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Speaking of whiskey, Sky Valet has 10.5D and 12D available in the PTB - for $630. Someone should jump on this. :nodding:

http://www.skyvalet1.com/Alden-9905_p_196.html

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  7. sevenfoldtieguy

Me too.

I have 6 shell pairs on the Aberdeen.

8. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Ravello SWBs, Barrie last

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. sevenfoldtieguy

Any of the Alden lace-ups in #8 shell cordovan would be my suggestion. Unless required for formal evening wear or business purposes I prefer anything but black.[/quote]

Be careful here.
    :)

Today I am wearing my black shell monochromatic saddles (model 993) - Barrie last, no storm welt, 270 degree welt. One of my most comfortable pairs, and considerably sleeker than most Barrie lasted models. But, in fairness, they are being worn for business dress.

http://aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=48&ParentID=94&PageID=&Action=

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  10. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

i will soon find out about this, just dropped the shoes in question off at the cobbler. he said it requires a different glue than the normal leather sole would need.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

On this topic, what is the purported benefit of the double waterlock sole? I have a few (CXL chukka, whiskey Indy), but I find they don't seem to offer any advantages on wet pavement. I've seen retailers say that the sole lasts longer because the oil protects them from water, but Alden's regular double leather soles last a long time as well. I understand the advantage of the single flex welt oiled sole (found in suede chukkas, loafers, etc) - the oil makes the sole softer, which makes a more comfortable shoe out of the box (and goes well with styles like suede loafers or chukkas where the user may go sockless). But I haven't been able to find a real advantage of the double waterlock.

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I don't own any, but I thought that ^ was it. The oil prevents the leather from absorbing the water so that the sole doesn't become soft when wet and wear down more quickly. Are you saying that it still absorbs the water and becomes soft and wears down quickly on wet pavement?

13. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I have not given the monochromatic shell saddle much thought, but lately it's been growing on me.

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

From what I can tell, Alden's double leather soles and double waterlock soles wear down at about the same rate - both wear down very slowly. I haven't noticed an advantage of the double waterlock sole, but maybe I am missing something

15. hokie3000

hokie3000 Member

I have always wondered this myself. Please share if you have experience with this.

16. hokie3000

hokie3000 Member

are these j.crew?

17. hokie3000

hokie3000 Member

does anyone have any experience with Montana Pitch Blend? I just bought some for my Indy's, but now I'm seeing that they may darken the color. I have the 403s, which are dark to begin with, so I think it should be alright, but if anyone has used this before, please share.

18. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Feels good posting in here 3 days running.

[​IMG]

Epaulet Gunmetal Canvas RCs
    Gap (Socks)
    Shoemart Cigar LWB.

Rained a bit today so I'll have some waterspots to brush out over the next while.

19. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Great shot. Looks great with wear. I have a new pair in 9.5D that may hit the B&S forum soon.

20. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I use them on my leather/CXL Indy boots.It is a very good water protectorant / conditioner, but doesn't do that much for shine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.