1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I find that it depends on the last for me. On some lasts, I end up with a really wicked crease right over the joint of my big toe, and the rest of the shoe stays almost crease free. I have two pairs where the right shoe had been tried on by someone else before I bought them... The other person's foot set the creases in the right shoe in the "ideal" location, and then my left foot set them in the annoying place over my left big toe, so the shoes look completely different as far as creases go. On other lasts, they crease in the "right" location and look the same on both feet. It is a combination of factors that lead to shoe creasing, so don't over think it.

2. tmw

tmw Senior member

thanks Uncle Mac.

3. Burton

Burton Senior member

I am in that camp as well. To me the NST is a weekend shoe - or very casual business dress shoe. I, too, think this is a personal thing. I struggle wearing bluchers with suits - though this is very common in Austria and Germany.

I would like to see Alden do a medallion shell cap on the Aberdeen, but I might be the only one.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

When I received my Cigar LHS they were very, very creased. Someone had obviously done a lot of walking around on carpet in them. I would have to guess much more than 3 hrs. I called the retailer and brought it to their attention because I wanted to see if I could switch them for a non-creased pair. They were very defensive and said it must have been from someone trying them on in the store. No other pair was available because it was a C width, so I decided to just keep them as I didn't want to wait several months. So to me this experience suggests that certain retailers will still accept the shoes as a return after the break-in method has been implemented. I now try to avoid that retailer if possible, just because I was so turned off by the experience. I've had other retailers drop-ship items from the factory to me, even though they already had them in stock just because they weren't satisfied with the condition of the shoes that they had in their own inventory.

Like this much creasing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared to my #8 LHS that I've had for the same amount of time and has barely creased at all:
    [​IMG]

When I try shoes on in the store that I'm not sure that I am going to buy I just put them on and stand-up. I don't really walk around in them, as a courtesy to the future owner.

5. MoneyWellSpent

That is definitely a considerate thing to do. This begs the question though... How many times have you ended up deciding that the shoes weren't a perfect fit after you bought them and wore them around your house for a while, when you may have otherwise figured it out in the store beforehand?

6. Don L

Don L Senior member

Whiskey LWB's today

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

This is interesting. If I owned a #8 NST shoe, I would not wear it with a suit, but would certainly wear it with a sport coat, especially on the Aberdeen last.

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Personally, never.

When I was figuring out my Van size I had to send 2 pairs back before I arrived at the correct size, but I sent them back with no sign of try on. I didn't have the opportunity to try them on the store, however I already owned a pair of the unlined LHS in my true size, so that was what I ordered initially. (Then down .5, before arriving at down .5 and a width)

I understand what you are saying though, and I don't expect people to keep shoes that don't fit just because they have taken a few steps in them on carpet. However, I suspect that some people may abuse the return policy.

The point of my post was not to scold those folks. Someone asked if anyone had experience returning a pair after implementing the Mac Break-in method, so I shared my anecdote to show that it seems to be possible.

9. Don L

Don L Senior member

I have worn my Black Calf NST's with a dark suit before....

10. Burton

Burton Senior member

PD - I have worn mine with a jacket and tie, but I think about it as a weekend or country shoe. Call me old fahioned. I am a little older than most of the guys here.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  11. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Fair enough. I certainly get that it's a casual style, though I see the NST as equivalent to a LWB in formality. Others may disagree.

12. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Thank you all, much appreciated, is the Aberdeen last true to size?

13. ndlewis

ndlewis New Member

After several posts, i think they look the best of jeans compared to a suit

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  14. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

^ Going going gone, let's see how long this one stays up before the mods get to it.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Looks like 51 minutes so far . . . I'll take the over . . .

16. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

already bought/preordered three pairs this month, I need to overlook those 11.5 ravello lwb [​IMG]

17. MoneyWellSpent

I definitely believe that people abuse the return policy. I didn't take your comment to be saying that you were scolding anyone. I tend to take a middle ground approach, by caring for the shoes in my own home as if the sales associate is watching me before I decide to keep them. After I decide to keep them, I take pictures for my own records of how they looked when I recieved them, then proceed with conditioning/polishing and wearing.

18. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Is this on the Barrie last?

19. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Tempting I know . . .

20. sazon

sazon Senior member

gorgeous. makes me re-consider passing up whiskey LWBs all these years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.