• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! The small Epics are what I am currently using. The lack of any compression length-wise is exactly what I was concerned about and why I was thinking about trying a medium epic. I thought perhaps there should be some tension/compression in the springs.

Maybe I'll try a medium ultra as another option.

8.5D?

Get the MEDIUM Ultra shoe tree.  It is so worth the extra money to have the broad heel.

Another option is the small Epic twin-tube tree, but you may notice that there is almost NO compression lengthwise, as there is very little length-wise compression/play with the twin tube tree.  I like it because it lifts up the vamp, but does not overstretch the shoe.  The overpriced medium Alden shoe tree also would fit well in a 8.5D

I gave up on the standard Woodlore combination shoe trees long ago, and if anyone wants to buy half a dozen small size trees from me (combination of Allen Edmonds label and Woodlore), I'll give 'em to you for a steal.

bkdc

Reaction score
I think the lack of lengthwise stretch is a PLUS for the Epic shoe trees. I wear 8E (or 7.5E in barrie or Trubalance) and the small is perfect! It merely needs to lift up the vamp and fill out the shoe. I don't like cramming the shoe tree in there. If I'm trying to break in and stretch a tight boot, I will use a medium Ultra Shoe Tree.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey gents, haven't been a frequent poster on this thread but I hopefully will be soon. After two misfires, I think I've finally nailed down my sizing for my pontoons (turns out I'm a 9EEE on the Barrie. Excited to be on the maiden voyage of these natty CXL PTBs from @steveyoo1983, who provided great service in ordering my size.

Now onto the sad task of listing my 9.5Es (natty CXL Indy shoe) and 9EEs (Innsbrook Indy). Really wish I could get either of those in my true size. Sigh.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've paired down my rotation over the last few years. It got to the point where some models wouldn't get worn for months. I hoped to get to a point where every pair in the rotation was a favorite. Therefore, my acquisitions are limited to maybe a pair a year. In 2016, I added a color 8 tanker on commando.

One model that I've coveted for years is Alden of Carmel's perfectly executed AF53A. I've grown to love the commando sole and a plain toe boot showcases shell's beauty better than any other model, IMO. Pairing the Trubalance with commando is a great marriage of utility and aesthetics allowing it to function well with flannel trousers and denim alike which covers me at home and during frequent business travel.

Thanks Adam, these were well worth the wait.

andiandi

Reaction score

I've paired down my rotation over the last few years. It got to the point where some models wouldn't get worn for months. I hoped to get to a point where every pair in the rotation was a favorite. Therefore, my acquisitions are limited to maybe a pair a year. In 2016, I added a color 8 tanker on commando. One model that I've coveted for years is Alden of Carmel's perfectly executed AF53A. I've grown to love the commando sole and a plain toe boot showcases shell's beauty better than any other model, IMO. Pairing the Trubalance with commando is a great marriage of utility and aesthetics allowing it to function well with flannel trousers and denim alike which covers me at home and during frequent business travel. Thanks Adam, these were well worth the wait.
Damn are those nice!! I recently concluded it is enough to have the black version, but now I have a problem. ;)

adamf009

Reaction score
I've paired down my rotation over the last few years. It got to the point where some models wouldn't get worn for months. I hoped to get to a point where every pair in the rotation was a favorite. Therefore, my acquisitions are limited to maybe a pair a year. In 2016, I added a color 8 tanker on commando. One model that I've coveted for years is Alden of Carmel's perfectly executed AF53A. I've grown to love the commando sole and a plain toe boot showcases shell's beauty better than any other model, IMO. Pairing the Trubalance with commando is a great marriage of utility and aesthetics allowing it to function well with flannel trousers and denim alike which covers me at home and during frequent business travel. Thanks Adam, these were well worth the wait.
Great pics and an awesome boot. An example where color 8 really shines and looks great on antique.

adamf009

Reaction score
Being in Chicago, I've found that my commando boots get much more usage as the grip is required in much of the winter.

For those in San Diego, San Francisco and other non-icy winter locations, do you find yourself reaching for a boot due to its sole composition?

bkdc

Reaction score
Damn are those nice!! I recently concluded it is enough to have the black version, but now I have a problem.
wink.gif
When the wallet allows, get both. :)
The AF53 and the AF43 are on my buy list. I wish they came with metal eyelets, but the comfort of the trubalance last with the flat welt (to avoid the extra-wide look), and shell without any more adornments make them so versatile. I was hoping for a black shell Indy with flat welt but I am unable to find one. It is apparently not made.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've paired down my rotation over the last few years. It got to the point where some models wouldn't get worn for months. I hoped to get to a point where every pair in the rotation was a favorite. Therefore, my acquisitions are limited to maybe a pair a year. In 2016, I added a color 8 tanker on commando.

One model that I've coveted for years is Alden of Carmel's perfectly executed AF53A. I've grown to love the commando sole and a plain toe boot showcases shell's beauty better than any other model, IMO. Pairing the Trubalance with commando is a great marriage of utility and aesthetics allowing it to function well with flannel trousers and denim alike which covers me at home and during frequent business travel.

Thanks Adam, these were well worth the wait.

These are fabulous @patrick_b ! My only question is whay do you prefer the Trubalance over barrie for this particular makeup. I had seriously considered getting this exact boot in barrie but have yet to pull the trigger. I guess I wasn't sure of the Trubalance version. Congrats and enjoy them often!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With warm temps this week I'm going with another PTB today...

Snuff unlined dovers, Alden for BB (J Crew anchor socks and J Crew Essential chinos)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are fabulous @patrick_b ! My only question is whay do you prefer the Trubalance over barrie for this particular makeup. I had seriously considered getting this exact boot in barrie but have yet to pull the trigger. I guess I wasn't sure of the Trubalance version. Congrats and enjoy them often!

Good question. I just have so many other Barrie lasted shoes & boots but only two on Trubalance, so part of it is a desire for diversity. They fit very well and I like the roomy interior toebox and outwardly bulbous toe (bulbous compared to Barrie). It's almost a munson/military looking last so when you pair the beefy commando sole, utilitarian old school last and color 8 shell, it hearkens back to the days when work boots were actually made of shell. They always reminded me of a boot that would have been worn at the turn of the last century.

A barrie/commando version would be equally as versatile but there is just an intangible appeal to the Trubalance version that always drew me to this model. When I saw the antique edge version, I was sold.

TommyB

Reaction score

Maiden voyage for these today. Had my cobbler take the antique edge and welt to black. Plaza and Wingtip could be my favorite combo.
#8 Plaza Wingtip Boots x J Gilbert

Looks great! Might change my plans (brass eyelets and hooks) and go this route instead.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are gorgeous. I love my AF53's, they are so amazing, and I agree, plain toe is a spectacular way to show off the shell.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don, where are these from? I'm looking for Plaza NSTs with a black edge. Would also like a leather sole and all-eyelets, but not sure anyone has done this.
They are from Yenni when she was at JGilbert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads