• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'd say slightly pumpkin-y. But once they scuffed a bit they'll look cool I think.

miggyramone

Reaction score
If I wear a 9.5 EEE in Grant Stone's Leo Last, do you guys think I'd be good wit the same size in a true balance last?

Dugafola

Reaction score
natural CXL innsbruck
D4027B98-EF7D-4E3D-A5EE-0A7D4EF7DB46.jpeg

Mothetgoo

Reaction score
Anybody here buy their Indys true to size?

This is a reply to an old post, but something that I think I differ from many others on, so worth posting. I buy Indy's TTS lengthwise, but in a C width (I would say I have normal width feet and generally wear a D, or medium, width). I don't really find Trubalance to be a "long" last though at all, so I don't always understand people saying you should go a half or full size down.

The following fit me well:
Alden Trubalance: 14C
Alden Aberdeen: 14D
Carmina Inca: 13
Carmina Soller: 13
Carmina Rain: 13
Viberg 2030: 13 ( a tiny bit low on the toe box, but that is unavoidable as it is a low toe-box last).
C&J 337: 13
C&J 348: 13

I have large feet (14 US) so maybe it is different as you go up in size. Obviously, Trubalance (and many other Alden lasts) are wide, but in my experience they are not terribly long. I must confess I am a bit confused by all the advice telling people to size down a numerical size in Trubalance, rather than just to buy a narrow width.

Not to stray from the topic of Aldens, but there is advice all over the internet telling people to buy the same size in Viberg 2030 and Alden TB. Maybe my feet are just different but to me, the Viberg 2030 in a 13 fits me well, while the TB in a 14C fits me well; I think an Alden TB in 13D would be a terrible fit; too short while being still too wide.

Just my 2 cents.

Steph7583

Reaction score
^Ive seen a lot of them look like this. I suspect it has something to do with the shoe being too big and creasing at multiple points when walking. I sized one down from Brannock and still find them quite comfortable, instead of the half that is commonly recommended.
Hello! I definetely agree with sizing down a full size, in my case at least. Had to buy 3 pairs of Indy's to find the perfect one.

Carson

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone! I bring you a photo I stumbled onto of one of Harrison Ford's original Indy boots used in the films. In a time when people own dozens of shoes and boots, all of which get little serious wear, it's nice to see a boot get well worn. There's plenty of stories and experience in boots like these...
harrison+ford+boots.jpg

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone! I bring you a photo I stumbled onto of one of Harrison Ford's original Indy boots used in the films. In a time when people own dozens of shoes and boots, all of which get little serious wear, it's nice to see a boot get well worn. There's plenty of stories and experience in boots like these... View attachment 1523539

Hello, I think that the gentlemen in the Alden thread (https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...vice-and-photos.655638/page-808#post-10526544) will appreciate (a lot) if you share this post with them.

Merry Christmas!

DG123

Reaction score
The reason I ask is because I had a pair of 403 and currently have a pair of 405. The 403 CXL fit was originally ideal, but over a short time the eyelets ended up to where they were almost touching--enough that the boots felt too large and I had to sell them. The 405 appear to be keeping close to their original structure and still fit well. I recall a YouTube vid of an owner who had a similar experience, although he could still wear his 403 boots.
I'm interested in a pair of 404 boots, but not if they're going to stretch out like the 403 CXL leather did.

Bumping an older thread here, but the subject of material influencing the fit of an Indy boot is of interest to me.
I own and wear a pair of 8 year old Alden 405's (work boot leather) as well as a new pair of the same model. I did try a pair of the 403 but found that the stretchiness of the Chromexcel leather , when the boot was laced, caused the eyelet stays to become nearly touching each other. My size is a B (narrow) width, and I expect that upper material "fit issues" is likely limited to narrow width size customers. That said, I do appreciate very much that Alden is willing to produce some B, A, and AA width footwear to accommodate the relatively few of us who wear the narrow widths.

DG123

Reaction score
Great photo. I know it sounds lame, but I wish I could magically keep a natural welt like that looking light/natural forever.

I enjoy wearing these two pair of 405's enough that my plan is to add a #401 (black) as well as the #404 (kudu leather with lug sole).

DG123

Reaction score
I guess during the past year or two the Indy boot with a wedge sole has been a make up from a few retailers. If anybody here has worn a pair please reply with your opinion of how they compare to the Neocork or Commando soled Indy boots. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads