• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

rusticchasm

Reaction score
i also think that internet advice is to size the same as your barrie (if the indy is trubalance), but i found i needed to go 0.5 size down from a barrie. ymmv.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i also think that internet advice is to size the same as your barrie (if the indy is trubalance), but i found i needed to go 0.5 size down from a barrie. ymmv.
Trubalance is actually shorter than Barrie, but has more volume and a bit more width. The recommendation for the majority of folks is 1/2 down from your Brannock, though some wear it TTS. I can't figure that out, becuase as a dead-solid 12D with a fairly high arch and fairly high volume, I can't wear a TB 12D. I'd guess anyone going down 1/2 size from Barrie is mis-sized. (though I've tried on Barrie boots in 12D that fit decently).

cj610

Reaction score
Anybody here buy their Indys true to size?
I went true to size for my first pair and they're about a full size too big. I've gotten different style TB lasted boots since and am happy with a full size smaller than Brannok. This is especially true after the CXL breaks in and becomes much looser. As always YMMV.

robster35

Reaction score
Trubalance is actually shorter than Barrie, but has more volume and a bit more width. The recommendation for the majority of folks is 1/2 down from your Brannock, though some wear it TTS. I can't figure that out, becuase as a dead-solid 12D with a fairly high arch and fairly high volume, I can't wear a TB 12D. I'd guess anyone going down 1/2 size from Barrie is mis-sized. (though I've tried on Barrie boots in 12D that fit decently).
I went true to size for my first pair and they're about a full size too big. I've gotten different style TB lasted boots since and am happy with a full size smaller than Brannok. This is especially true after the CXL breaks in and becomes much looser. As always YMMV.
Dang. Maybe i shoulda held on to my 10D indys. I measure like a 10.85D on a brannock. The 10D felt fine for the most part but seemed like my arch wasnt in quite the right place. So i bought a 10.5C width and it feels about right but its slightly snug on my instep. Will that area stretch any or does it sound like i might need the D width? Mine are the 405

miggyramone

Reaction score
I'm debating between the 403 and 405. I originally planned to get the 403 but realized, the 405 might work better with more specific outfits.

This is probably a silly question but forgive me, I'm new to Aldens. Is the 405 calfskin leather a smooth calfskin? The only calfskin I've had/used is on AE shoes and Lucchesse cowboy boots. A worker at Alden of SF described the 405's leather as work boot leather. When I think work boot leather I think nubck or rough out, not smooth calfskin. Thanks!

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has nobody here pointed out yet that Alden switched the 405 back to its regular reddish-brown from that awful pumpkin color? Rejoice.

Tweedboy

Reaction score
The 405 is a smooth calfskin. I have the chromexcel. It’s a great leather. I have had 10years of good wear out of it and it still looks good. I guess there is an argument that the 405 is the original but a think the other one just wears to well. Only problem is that the oily leather attracts a bit of dirt but doesn’t me.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm debating between the 403 and 405. I originally planned to get the 403 but realized, the 405 might work better with more specific outfits.

This is probably a silly question but forgive me, I'm new to Aldens. Is the 405 calfskin leather a smooth calfskin? The only calfskin I've had/used is on AE shoes and Lucchesse cowboy boots. A worker at Alden of SF described the 405's leather as work boot leather. When I think work boot leather I think nubck or rough out, not smooth calfskin. Thanks!
The calfskin 405 original will be harder wearing than the CXl 403. I bought and wore for several years the 403 and liked it a lot. Like all CXL it shows patina/wear quickly but is not exactly fragile. The calfskin is tougher and will patina less quickly, if that's an issue either way for you. Really I think a question then of aesthetics -- the slightly orange and slightly weird color of the 405 (though not as orange as it once was as noted above) or the more "normal" burgundy-tinged brown of the 403. Again, I got the 403 and like it, but I've been thinking that if I get a new pair i may get the 405, just because it's both more original and more distinctive.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Thanks you guys. I think the only thing that has me hesitant about the 403 is all the reports of loose grain. I dont' think I've read a single review without someone mentioning it. I'm buying brand new at full price, so that kinda has me put off.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks you guys. I think the only thing that has me hesitant about the 403 is all the reports of loose grain. I dont' think I've read a single review without someone mentioning it. I'm buying brand new at full price, so that kinda has me put off.
As I understand it "loose grain" is actually pretty rare -- meaning the layers of the leather have begun to separate. I think what people sometimes call loose grain is just the sort wrinkling that you get with CXL or horsehide. I think the CXL used by Alden looks pretty good, but it will crease up for sure The calfskin will too, but in a different way.

robster35

Reaction score
I had the 403. I didnt like how it stretched and creased so much. Plus it seems just about everyone has that model. I like the 405. I have a pair of the orange ones in my possession at the moment waiting on another size to come in to try. I do like the reddish brown theyve gone back to tho

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the 403. I didnt like how it stretched and creased so much. Plus it seems just about everyone has that model. I like the 405. I have a pair of the orange ones in my possession at the moment waiting on another size to come in to try. I do like the reddish brown theyve gone back to tho
I also have the 403 and also dislike the way CXL stretches at stress points. Im coming up on the ten year mark on my 403s and will probably spring for some 405s once I get there.

miggyramone

Reaction score
How much does the CXL stretch? I know the 403 is lined, so I'd assume it wouldn't be that much. I've owned a few different CXL boots and never really found them to stretch that much. I know it's a common thing for Alden CXL owners to mention.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 75 17.0%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 146 33.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%