• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official 2013 Thrifters Scavenger Hunt Thread

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I'm still hoping to find a PRL Harris Tweed topcoat with MacLeod of Harris tartan lining. Not holding out hope though.
I ran across a Ferragamo tie with sea creatures, but otherwise I'm doing quite well on my quest to find qualifying items from absolutely offensive labels (except where labels are specified).
Probably won't get out again before the first. Too much real life stuff getting in the way. I need a legit job so that I can stop looking for one and get back to thrifting.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally I'm still hoping to find a PRL Harris Tweed topcoat with MacLeod of Harris tartan lining. Not holding out hope though.
I ran across a Ferragamo tie with sea creatures, but otherwise I'm doing quite well on my quest to find qualifying items from absolutely offensive labels (except where labels are specified).
Probably won't get out again before the first. Too much real life stuff getting in the way. I need a legit job so that I can stop looking for one and get back to thrifting.

I found three Corneliani and a Canali orphans on one rack, fulfilling another requirement. :)

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found three Corneliani and a Canali orphans on one rack, fulfilling another requirement. :)

It's been ridiculous here this month. Closest I've gotten to fulfilling that requirement has been Gucci.

Paulo Gucci.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An admittedly weak finish, but I've had some stuff I've been dealing with this month. The List Items I Actually Found: 3.Made in England men’s shirt
4.Tartan men’s accessory or clothing. If you can identify the Scottish clan +1 bonus point. If you or your significant other’s last name is same with that clan +1 more bonus point. Pretty sure this is Campbell of Cawdor, which would be the tartan on my paternal grandmother's side.
9.A real fur coat, or a coat with real fur accents- proof necessary- Could have had this -- many times over -- at my local, of all places, but I only dashed in without even my wallet or my phone, just a $20 bill (which is usally more than enough) 12.Brass candle holder.
21.Tie with sea critters print. A bowtie with same type of print is +1 bonus point. Whales 1+ bonus point.
23.Beer glass with a European beer name on.
25.Harris tweed jacket in plaid or stripes (no pure herringbone or pure pepper and salt pattern). STRIPED on top of herringbone
And where the hell was this shirt last week??!!

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^i hear you on finding previous hunt items. Just came across my first club collar shirt in months.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An admittedly weak finish, but I've had some stuff I've been dealing with this month.

The List Items I Actually Found:

3.Made in England men’s shirt

4.Tartan men’s accessory or clothing. If you can identify the Scottish clan +1 bonus point. If you or your significant other’s last name is same with that clan +1 more bonus point.
Pretty sure this is Campbell of Cawdor, which would be the tartan on my paternal grandmother's side.

9.A real fur coat, or a coat with real fur accents- proof necessary-
Could have had this -- many times over -- at my local, of all places, but I only dashed in without even my wallet or my phone, just a $20 bill (which is usally more than enough)

12.Brass candle holder.

21.Tie with sea critters print. A bowtie with same type of print is +1 bonus point. Whales 1+ bonus point.

25.Harris tweed jacket in plaid or stripes (no pure herringbone or pure pepper and salt pattern). STRIPED on top of herringbone

And where the hell was this shirt last week??!!

Dude...there are still 6 more days....

Last edited:

futuremyth

Reaction score
You are thrifting for charity

Prize: I will donate $100 to your favorite charity ( with previously stated exceptions). Wes will match it if you beat him. If 20 people post results, Spoo will sweeten the deal. All donors have a right to refuse to charity you pointed for their personal reasons and ask another one. But in the end you get to choose. Sadly I can not compete but Wes and Spoo are eligible.

This is a scavenger hunt that anyone can participate in. You do not need to sign up but you need to report results to win. Check the quick rules below and go out a huntin'.

1. All the items below must be found in thrift shops. That means thrift, charity, church and other places. Consignment stores do not count, nor does full price retail environments.

2. You do not need to purchase the item in question, you must only take a picture of it and upload it here when complete (please see below for clarification on when to upload)

3. You must print the picture above and include it with your photo of the item. They must not be photoshopped and be in the same shot. For fun, please include the price tag.

4. Do NOT upload photos one by one if you check a few things off the list. You must only upload everything in one shot when you complete all the items on the list. Occasional teasers are permitted.

5. You have until October 6th 2013, midnight to find and post all the items on the list.

6.Each item is worth 1 point and each bonus point is worth 1. Whoever has the most points (get those bonus points!!), even if they don't have all the items will be the winner.

7. The competition is ruthless, very competitive, and pedantic. Make sure match the item or check with the ref if any doubts (me).
The List:

1.A Turkish bathrobe (i.e.towel), if Made in Turkey +1 bonus point
2.Exotic skin men’s shoe (lizard, snake, emu, shark etc). Proof necessary: either written or Spoo verified.
3.Made in England men’s shirt
4.Tartan men’s accessory or clothing. If you can identify the Scottish clan +1 bonus point. If you or your significant other’s last name is same with that clan +1 more bonus point.
5.Wind instrument- woodwinds, brass winds etc. If Yamaha +1 bonus point.
6.Any J.Press item.
7.A selvedge jean, men or women’s.
8.Thomas the Tank Engine locomotive, a wooden Gordon +1 bonus point
9.A real fur coat, or a coat with real fur accents- proof necessary-
10.Made in USA plaid, double breasted suit.
11.A corduroy three piece suit. If colors are close (all shades of brown etc), gathering three separate pieces is acceptable as long as in one shop/ i.e same photo.
12.Brass candle holder.
13.Made in England Dr. Marten.
14.Any Brioni , Canali, Isaia, Corneliani, Barbera, or Kiton item
15.Handknit cardigan –tag proof necessary-, Made in Iceland or Ireland +1 bonus point.
16.Polo Ralph Lauren topcoat. Purple Label, of course, is accepted and gets a bonus point. Lauren gets only half point i.e. -0.5 bonus.
17.Cigarette case.
18.Non-plastic music box (metallic, wooden, porcelain). If works, record it and get one bonus point.
19.Any teak furniture -see Frenchyfoundit-
20.Double monk men’s shoe.
22.Automatic watch, any gender.
24.Any stereo equipment with wood or wood appearance case.
25.Harris tweed jacket in plaid or stripes (no pure herringbone or pure pepper and salt pattern).
+1 Bonus point each for unfound items in the last round. A backscratcher, vintage straight razor, mirrored beer sign.

Let the games begin!!!

Nope, 6th. I went to post last night and was happy to see I had a bit more time.

Last edited:

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although it would have been hilarious in GMMcL had won it by being the only one to remember to post.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right there with you bro. I was planning to post final finds later this afternoon. Problem for me is, I still might not get another chance to thrift before the 6th!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the bonus I'm looking for?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just to clarify...we are looking for cardigans only, correct? I am convinced that no cardigans were ever made in Iceland or Ireland, every other type of sweater, but no cardigans. I think they were banned in those countries.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads