The new Jaguar XJ

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by culverwood, Jul 9, 2009.

1. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I'm really disappointed. I've never been the biggest Jaguar fan, but at least they had the design competency to base the xk off of a good looking car like an Aston Martin. It looks like they're channeling Nissan for the XJ...

2. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I think it's a beautiful car in its own right. I guess the only thing to be disappointed about is that it comes at the expense of a classic model.

3. epb

epb Senior member

Longtime Jag fan. Not pleased.

Longtime Jag fan. Thrilled.

4. holyhotdamn

holyhotdamn Member

This is wrong, they did not base the new XK off of an Aston Martin. It was more of an incremental change from the last generation XK, which was an escape from the hideousness that was the XJS, which followed the XKE. The XKE was ruined in the series II and III incarnations, but the original '61-'67 models were (arguably) the greatest looking car of all time. Although I will admit that the new XJ probably has Henry Lyons rolling in his grave. I'd put money on the idea that within two years the taillights will be fixed, the grill will be less upright, and finally that stupid carbon fiber strip or whatever it is on the rear pillar will be done away with.

5. track309

track309 Senior member

Also, You will take a big hit when trying to trade it in. Jags have horrible depreciation.

Maybe the only British manufacture to consider would be TVR, atleast they have more creativity.

[​IMG]

Actually TVR's aren't available in the U.S.[​IMG]

6. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Also, You will take a big hit when trying to trade it in. Jags have horrible depreciation.

Maybe the only British manufacture to consider would be TVR, atleast they have more creativity.

Actually TVR's aren't available in the U.S.[​IMG]

Isn't TVR still owned by that rich Russian kid?

7. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Saw one live. Looks like a Camry.

8. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Actually, I think of the British auto's as one of the more creatively designed cars, especially when compared to the average German, Japanese and American cars.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ideo-and-pics/

A little more modern than the old one!

I looked at the new XJ today at the dealership. The interior is amazingly nice, one of the nicest I've seen apart from the likes of Bentley and RR. However, the exterior doesn't excite me. The transition from the front to rear seems off, and the faux wrap around rear window fools no one. The dealership had the cars in black, dark green, burgundy, and white. To me, it looks much better in dark colors rather than light, I really hated the looks of the white one.

10. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

Yep the new one is a real nice car. Interior is real nice. But it also makes me appreciate the old ones even more. On the hunt for a series 3 vanden plas right now.

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Yep the new one is a real nice car. Interior is real nice. But it also makes me appreciate the old ones even more. On the hunt for a series 3 vanden plas right now.
    The old ones have a certain grace about them that I've always admired. My first IRL look at the new one didn't make the same impression upon me. The sumptuously elegant interior, IMO, is better than ever, but the exterior has lost its gracefulness.

12. milosh

milosh Senior member

I don't know what they were thinking with that front grill.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I don't know what they were thinking with that front grill.

The grill looks like what you'd see on a Ford, IMO.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I want one!!!
    I want to drive a super charged one.

15. KarenStevens

KarenStevens New Member